Halo |OT2| Forging Ahead

Some truly absurd takes in here

While it remains to be seen if the “halo feel” can be captured in UE, it being 60+ fps and smooth isn’t something people need to be concerned about

2 Likes

Agreed. The backlash from the community will be loud. This just makes it all the more annoying as it shows how badly managed 343 was for so long. To think even after spending so much on SlipSpace it still wasn’t where it needed to be. There really should be an engine studio in Xbox that fixes all this engines and is able to put them out for schools to use.

It’s an FPS. I think the high framerates matter. It certainly is widely discussed and doesn’t HI go all the way to 120 fps on series X. I also think it was one of the promises 343 made. Halo 5 was 60fps. I could be wrong on the 60fps, as Atomic heart and Stalker 2 look quite good and solid , only time will tell.

Even the “halo feel” concern seems unfounded to me. There’s a shit ton of unreal games that are fundamentally different.

Why wouldn’t they be able to just put the physics parameters of halo infinite into unreal?

2 Likes

They can make game changes but Master Chief need to stay though. Or else there will be war / actual war lol. I’m not ready for all that drama. Death threats etc… Xbox does not need that right now. It will overshadow anything else.

Season 3 is around the corner. Perhaps we will get a clear vision from the devs and maybe more.

I’ve saw this coming for about a year unfortunately. Sucks because halo infinite has great gameplay.

I really questioned slipspace hard when I saw the content pipeline so barebones over the last year. I got hammered by a few here for suggesting unreal engine about a year ago.

I’m mixed about it. Unreal will be better for building content. But can they keep the halo feel? Time will tell.

They should use idtech.

I don’t really care which engine they use, if one gets games done better and quicker I’m all for it though.

I got so invested in Halo before Infinite, it was going to be my first time experiencing a Halo launch as a fan. I played all the old games, dove into books and got even more into it thanks to the awesome YHMAH podcast.

Enjoyed the MP even though that is not my style of things, absolutely loved the campaign and was hyped about all the rumours about DLC and building on Infinite etc.

Now, I’m just sad.

I doubt they can keep the Halo feel especially when it says internal skeptics are concerned about it as well. The reason they probably debated it was because when they tried UE 4, they saw this along with other UE issues. This is in my opinion will not be received by the community well. UE games just feel different. Just comparing the gunplay of GEARS to ANTHEM is night and day. ANTHEM just comes out on top.

I think you put much more importance on the engine than necessary.

1 Like

My biggest disappointment isn’t that they are making changes but how long it took them to finally make some big changes at 343i, this feels almost 8 years too late to me, when Halo 5 came out it was clear things needed to be done at 343i whether it was a change of management or staff I don’t know but something wasn’t right, under 343i in the span of 3 years we got Halo 4, Halo MCC and Halo 5 and none were received well by the community and dare I say totally killed Halo’s previous mainstream popularity, with MCC being the easiest win ever turned into a PR disaster by one of the worst multiplayer launches I’ve ever seen which clearly needed an extra year or 2 to come out right, maybe that was more on Microsoft though.

Anyway I don’t understand how you get those 3 years from 343i running your biggest franchise into the ground and you don’t take some serious action, they’re finally doing this a decade after Halo 4 :man_facepalming:t3:

Phil said a while back that if they lose their with Halo then they lose their way with Xbox or something, they clearly lost their way with Halo, like a decade ago.

In the meantime they should probably try to catch some easy wins and goodwill and do some remakes of the original games campaigns, remind people of the good times before launching the next Halo game in 2028/29.

And the concerns about Unreal are totally valid, it does feel like most games on that engine have a very different feel to it, will be really interesting to see if they manage to capture that Halo feel on it, which for all it’s faults they did accomplish on Halo Infinite, best Halo to play to date imo, just a disastrous lack of content and modes that should be there, everything also looks the same in the campaign and the maps in multiplayer while fun are lacking the cool diverse maps from the old games, no snow environments or anything like that for example.

You’re right. The engine is the least of the issues. Just saw the video below. The main issue to me should be 343 becoming a real studio with a studio culture. I would think Hintze main focus would be to build a real studio cos 343 felt like a studio put together with parts that never fitted. Is There Any Hope for Halo? - YouTube

I have a feeling Tatanka is going to be like Hunt: Showdown with more BR aspects. It’s interesting that the project has been developed into a more ambitious game. I can’t wait to see what it will look like, but I think it might be a good idea, especially since Crytek’s game is very successful, so there is an audience for this type of game ( if it looks like this). I don’t mind the engine change, I think it’s a good thing to part ways with the Slipspace Engine, and 343i (or Certain Affinity) can work with The Coalition to customize the UE5.

I hope the changes at 343i bring good things and get Halo back on track. It looks like we’re getting a reboot of the series, right? I think that’s a good thing because the license got a bit lost through various unfinished stories. Master Chief is an iconic Xbox character, so I think we’ll keep him as the main character, but a soft reboot 100 or 200 years later, with a new character, and the end of the Master Chief story in audio logs or flashback might be a valid idea. Either way, we’ll probably have to wait a long time for that to happen, in the meantime, let’s give 343i another chance and wish them the best for the future.

Well said. The overall fault is on Microsoft and Phil in some respects. However, I do understand maybe they couldn’t correct 343 simply because even as bad as Halo was it was still making money and killing or making changes to the studio then would have cut that off not to mention required a lot to fix. During the Xbox one gen not many devs probably wanted to go to Xbox however now that Xbox has a ton of studios making the necessary correction was a GO. Right now, the main thing for the studio head is to build a proper studio with culture and a uniform vision without factions. The unreal concerns are well noted even by them internally as the report says. After playing ANTHEM, I really wondered why GEARS 4 and 5 didn’t feel as good. Like you said Infinite has one of the best gunplay in the genre. wish they’d at least consider the Id Tech engine. I say why not hire Ubisoft with their insane number of devs to work on future Halo projects. Might help Ubisoft finance and the industry at large.

I feel that 2022 was the straw that broke the camel back. I think their last shot was 2021, where they had Joseph Staten to take control to course correct. After that, they probably hoped for 343 to get it in order with content. That’s the last straw. They got new management team, let alone team, and waited to trim the fat while Hintze and his team plan it out.

Going to a new game and engine is the wrong idea !!

We just need more maps and seasons without 6 month gaps !! Infinite will live on if it got consistent content.

1 Like

Pretty sure they will continue Infinites Roadmap. Season 3 is already coming in a month and will only be 3month long

Evidently the engine is making it difficult to keep up. I think it’s ultimately the right idea to cut the tech debt and move on assuming they can make a game that feels like Halo.

Gears 4 and 5 play like Gears 1, 2, and 3 because that’s what the Gears community (especially with competitive MP) expects. They’d have much more room to play without the MP there.

I honestly don’t care which engine they choose, as long as it’s a good one. IdTech would not solve the training personell problem though.