Halo |OT2| Forging Ahead

I mean Slegehammer doing basic stuff rather than entirely taking over such as creating new maps, working on improving the performance and stability, creating new weapons and game modes, etc. Since 343 just needs some sort of support studio that knows how to make live service games until 343 can find their own footing and do it themselves.

November is just 2 month away peeps.

2 Likes

Reminder, weā€™re live tonight with the latest YHMAH. Itā€™s almost like we knew this news was coming today! :doge:

4 Likes

if you have any questions for us tonight please drop them at the link above.

1 Like

I laugh my ass off at the thought of one of the COD studios taking over halo. Help support haloā€¦ sure but take it over lol no.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s where the more ambitious stuff like Tatanka (BR) and Extraction (PvE) come in. Those will be pretty big for Infinite, I feel.

Preach!

1 Like

I get that people can be frustrated with some of their favorite games, but I do think most of us could be better off mental health wise in our gaming habits if we tried to focus more on the positive when possible. I played an amazing Halo campaign last holiday that was incredible fun for me, and I have also put a significant number of hours into Halo Infinite MP while actually progressing through battle pass type things for the first time in any such game. Based on the shared footage online of what people have been already creating in the Forge builds, I truly believe that can be a major game changer for content too. The new maps, modes, and mini battle passes and such will be fun for me too. Again, I get some of the frustration. But I intend to still have fun playing one of my favorite video game franchises regardless of online discourse :slight_smile:

7 Likes

2 long for me. :sunglasses:

Seriously though, itā€™s more about the combined wait than the 9 weeks remaining.

Personally I think 343 should get a polished presenter and experienced Forger like @Sikamikanico to give bi-weekly previews of Forge covering various aspects of it in each video. Could even use videos of the current creations bandied about to demonstrate various aspects. Could go over stuff that hasnā€™t been shown yet.

In these 9 weeks they could give fans and content creators something to anticipate (a bi-weekly short video), to receive (short videos a far easier to estimate, execute, and deliver), and to munch on (this gives content for content creators to make their own videos on).

It wonā€™t cost a lot but it would go a long way in terms of not only keeping people patient but getting people excited. A 9-week ramp up makes a whole lot more sense than 9 weeks of silence.

1 Like

I thought Microsoft had a 18 months rule for contractors. If certain affinity is doing the BR how will that work? Iā€™m sure they been working on it for over a year, and looking at this roadmap itā€™s probably not out until June 28th or later.

On a side note I love that studio and really hope that Microsoft does whatever it takes to acquire them.

1 Like

I agree. If Forge is as awesome as it appears, then they can at least control how they ā€œmarketā€ this new capability to the player base and even new players.

1 Like

I doubt support studios fall under the same banner since theyā€™re contracted to work as a company and not as an individual.

2 Likes

Heā€™s right. 343 should prioritize fun and social over competitive and e-sports.

9 Likes

I agree. There is no point to chase e-sports if there is no mass consumer market that is interested in the game. Bring huge community and then bring back esports.

3 Likes

Soooo much to talk about.

Disapointedā€¦about the decisions and choices that got us here. This has exceeded live service growing pains IMO.

Hopeful for the future. Changes have already been happening. Priorities to fix foundation before anything else is right decision.

Still incredibly excited for Forgeā€¦and a few other things.

Will be a fun YHMAH show tonight!

6 Likes

Honestlyā€¦ After Halo Infinite, just retire Halo and let 343 work on something elseā€¦ Maybe build something based on the movement in Halo 5.

If you watch the five seconds after that quote was taken out of context, it was specifically said that wasnā€™t meant to be a pro-player vs. casual takeaway. So I donā€™t think thereā€™s much to be concerned about on that front.

For the full quote, it starts at around 5:30 in the Waypoint update video, and hereā€™s the continuation:

ā€œAnd so we want an experience where players can expect that the game is competitive and fair, and skill and teamwork should be a path to victory. The path to victory. That doesnā€™t mean abandoning social players. Thatā€™s not what that means, but it is about fairness and competition.ā€

So yeahā€¦ that tweet greatly takes the first part out of context to spin a narrative much like clickbait in media.

Edit:

Forgot link the video: https://youtu.be/Ramqlt7vxJ8

6 Likes

Can we atleast get multi-player splitscreen guest accountsā€¦ It doesnā€™t make sense to have to create Microsoft accounts and maintain them to play offline splitscreen.

Edit: mission replay delayedā€¦ Why is it so hard to implement it? Iā€™d just like a real answerā€¦ Like a technical answer to why is it hard to implementā€¦

There is something they promised that still didnā€™t come outā€¦ Raytracingā€¦ They said theyā€™d add it in a patchā€¦ Where is it?

Oh jeez finally watching the video and they state exactly this. I hang my head in shame.

1 Like

Theyā€™ve announced some fun modes too. The Covert Flag mode sounds fun and it means that they are experimenting with new ideas for Halo. Forge will let people work on some new fun modes too. But overall, the Ranked modes need much more work, I think thatā€™s what they were trying to convey in the video.

Itā€™s kind of sad but I think they are counting on Forge and the community to get things started really. I feel like they canā€™t do so many things at once, so thatā€™s smart to let the community do the heavy lifting.

Edit : knottian already answered it better than me !

3 Likes

Halo is trying to do too much in an era where video game development is most complicated and lengthy. It is unhealthy to still want to offer a single game that consolidates multiple pillars: campaign, multiplayer, forge ā€“ with expectations for co-op, social play, competitive, and live service. That is simply too much on one plate. 343 and Microsoft should realize this, itā€™s no longer the 360 where you can have that in 2-3 years development, now add the pandemic, and 343ā€™s contractor issue, and you get this extremely shaky, unfocused, and unpredictable development pipeline.

3 Likes