Halo Infinite: Xbox player count continues to impress despite Steam slump

Ive personally stopped playing. The foundation is strong, but once I finished up the campaign and played a dozen hours of the MP I didnt feel compelled to go back.

I find the matches are fun, but by the end im just stressed out. They need a ton more content, more maps, casual modes, large scale modes, community content… the works. Im disappointed that the game launched in the state that it did, I feel like of they should have given it another year of dev time and really put their best foot forward.

Hopefully they get a small army working on content updates before the game is deserted by all but the core fanbase.

it’s not more content as much as more casual friendly content. arena mp is stressful, and only btb really isn’t as bad but that was broken for a while. Once the base is strong enough foundationally more content helps but isn’t as needed too.

2 Likes

I always listen to the audio show on spotify, but I believe youre the man behind the camera who never ever uses Google? Big fan , always like hearing your input on things. I completely agree that casual content is what the game needs most. A battle royale would be sweet, though I know thats controversial.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m the jack of all trades man. I’m the reviews editor and mostly focus on those but I’ve started producing our podcasts as well.

2 Likes

It’s the 5th most played game on Xbox right now, only behind Fortnite, COD Warzone, GTA V and Apex (as of right now it’s not behind Roblox lol), only mention it because Kotaku made article about it, no shame being behind those huge games likely by not many players either on Xbox, especially because all of those games have been out for years and have huge audiences and are full of content, something Halo lacks right now but hopefully by the end of the year it gets to where it needs to be, it needs a great single player DLC too.

1 Like

Just Steam so not the whole picture but curious to see if the game will receive content mid-season. Not looking good on Steam (though it’s expected).

Launching a live-service game and then having zero content during 6 months (while the base game is already lacking content and doesn’t even have a basic progression system) would be very questionable. Even BFV (which was a bad live-service) already had a new map (Panzerstorm) and the Battle Royale mode soon after in March. Or Vanguard and Warzone with a fair amount of content.

1 Like

It’s dying quick on PC.

I know people like to bring up PC gamepass but let’s be real lol.

It’s a free game that doesn’t need gamepass, people aren’t using PC Gamepass for a game that doesn’t need it over Steam.

There’s a clear disconnect with the pc/console crowd, whether that’s due to nostalgia/familiarity carrying it on console or just simply more competition on PC, I don’t know.

3 Likes

The most played steam game is still Counter Strike by a country mile. PC players just have a different taste and thats totally fine.

1 Like

I’m just glad i don’t have to play Halo with a lot of PC gamers since we aren’t allowed to disable crossplay as far as i know.

I don’t think Infinite not popping off on PC is something 343/MS are fine with nor are they content with that.

But yeah, you can’t really force an audience to like a game I guess, tough position to be in.

Didn’t know that Paul Tassi triggered with the ‘Infinite’s still doing ‘great’ on Xbox chart’ report. :joy:

What a clown.

PC players also have a much bigger problem with cheating and I’ve heard many of them hate that they can’t disable crossplay.

Regarding the Xbox app though, the argument for a large playerbase there is because of the campaign and gamepass. Basically, people downloaded the game through the xbox app to play the campaign, and kept it for the MP.

I have no idea how many people like that there are, but I doubt it’d be less than tens of thousands.

All very possible but what we do know is that the Steam playerbase dwarfs the PC gamepass population and that the free MP component on paper should make the steam numbers even higher than the PC gamepass population.

I think it’s okay to say the PC playerbase is pretty disappointing. I don’t think any of us would foresee Infinite reaching Halo MCC numbers 2 months after launch.

Still doing really well on console so that’s good.

The halo roadmap should be soon. Joe staten originally said it would be in January but that got pushed. Sometime in the next couple weeks we should have a grasp on their rollout for 2022.

2 Likes

After that ending I can’t wait for whatever they’re cooking for single player DLC, but not expecting it to be this year :cry:

3 Likes