Grounded Tops 5 mil Players in under 4 Months + New Koi Pond trailer

Insane. Especially since it hasn’t even ahd its 1.0 release yet.

2 Likes

4 Likes

This is seriously impressive. This is the same power of Game Pass and Steam that has brought Sea of Thieves to great heights. I wonder what will happen when Halo arrives, or maybe even bigger, Forza Horizon 5.

1 Like
3 Likes

This game is so good. Just keep improving and adding stuff, expanding, deepening, great world awaiting to be fully realized. Enjoyed my time with it and can’t wait to see the full release.

1 Like

These trailers are always so dam good. Loved the “and yes, we’re still in early access” part as they show a tadpole being stuck in a leaf lol. Can’t wait to dive back into this game with the series X enhancements!

This is the often over-looked power of Game Pass across PC and Xbox. As Xbox regains console momentum, the PC store improves and Cloud gaming becomes more viable due to technologies like 5G and Starlink, you’re going to see an explosion in mindshare of Xbox IPs. Individual sales get over-rated by the community. Engagement under-rated. Engagement is what builds the value of the IPs. A lot of times the games which you think are doing better on sales charts don’t end up recouping investment and there’s no business model to justify keeping those IPs going. Grounded was a passion project but the IP is now worth a good amount of money and growing in value.

3 Likes

Just wanted to point out that Sony’s fastest selling 1P published title ever, GoT, topped 5mil sales in right around 4 months too. Just to put things into perspective. Lots of ppl seem totally ignorant of how many players a lot of XGS titles reach compared to the competition. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yep I was saying this after they announced Battletoads and Wasteland 3 hit 1 million players. Those were niche titles with next to no marketing. In contrast, at that time Tecmo announced they were very happy selling 1 million copies of Nioh 2 on the PS4’s 100 million+ user base. Regardless of quality or sales, the mindshare and therefore the value of Nioh 2 is limited to the 1 million people willing to pay for it in a traditional model. If you were to sell your IP, Grounded has more value on the open market than Nioh 2 thanks to Game Pass. What happens when Starfield hits?

1 Like

…and Forza, and Halo, and Fable, and Avowed, and Hellblade, and new Doom, etc. Yeah GP is gonna top 50mil within 3 yrs I bet. As they keep scaling their subs the dynamics are gonna just keep getting better too, across the board. LOTS of ppl have no idea how much of a sea change is coming with GP imho.

1 Like

It’s a snowball that builds on itself. Creates a cycle. Game Pass boosts IP mindshare. Mindshare IP boost Game Pass awareness, adoption and engagement. Keeps going.

2 Likes

Still plan to play this on the Series X, but have some other games to try first. Honestly, I’m beginning to believe that JFO may take me weeks to finish

Two hits from Obsidian back to back.