Great Omens - the Good Omens thread

If you’re already a fan of the BFF angel and demon, skip ahead to the end.

For the uninitiated, I’d recommend spending a few hours out on Prime Video, watching the excellent show, Good Omens. It’s about the end of time, and is an amazing adaptation of an equally amazing book by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, with Gaiman acting as showrunner.

Seriously. Stop what you’re doing, go watch the entire show. Then come back, I’ll wait.

Should only take you 328 minutes. https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B07FMHTRFD

OK, now that you love it, here’s a link to the Kindle version. Do yourself a favor and read that as well.

Oh, and you’ll obviously need this as well… https://www.amazon.com/Funko-Aziraphale-Crowley-Specialty-Figures/dp/B094GJ6L4Q/

OK, all set?

Well then, prepare to be blown away by THIS news (which should be obvious by now but I’ll let you read it the same way I did - straight from Neil Gaiman himself):

I believe that all that remains is for me to say

:grin:

Ooh, we need a poll as well. Who is better?

• Michael Sheen as Aziraphale
  • David Tennant as Crowley
0 voters
2 Likes

I Love Gaiman, and its hard for me to say how much I love PTerry. Lots. lots and lots and I am constantly sad he died so young.

Anyway, I saw this news earlier as Neilhimself is one of the few people I look out for on twitter.

Though I will go to my Grave saying Clive Russel should have played Shadwell in the TV show I otherwise loved it. and I greatly look forward to series 2

HAVING SAID THAT!

The best, absolute best adaptation was the BBC Radio 4 adaptation, which had the perfect Aziraphael and Crowley in Mark Heap and Peter Serafinowicz

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/Good-Omens-Audiobook/B00S1YNTUA?qid=1625041356&sr=1-2&ref=a_search_c3_lProduct_1_2&pf_rd_p=c6e316b8-14da-418d-8f91-b3cad83c5183&pf_rd_r=M7B73Q186Y4A3Q8816C1

the Audiobook version read by Stephen Briggs is great too.

Also, and my favourite footnote of the book and what is missing in so much Pratchett adaptations :smiley:

“NOTE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE AND AMERICANS: One shilling = Five Pee. It helps to understand the antique finances of the Witchfinder Army if you know the original British monetary system:

Two farthings = One Ha’penny. Two ha’pennies = One Penny. Three pennies = A Thrupenny Bit. Two Thrupences = A Sixpence. Two Sixpences = One Shilling, or Bob. Two Bob = A Florin. One Florin and One Sixpence = Half a Crown. Four Half Crowns = Ten Bob Note. Two Ten Bob Notes = One Pound (or 240 pennies). Once Pound and One Shilling = One Guinea.

The British resisted decimalized currency for a long time because they thought it was too complicated.”

5 Likes

Oh, I love that footnote as well… (coincidently, the footnotes /author notes are the best part of The Princess Bride (William Goldman, along with supposedly S Morgenstern) as well, and are hardly present in the movie version)

I’ll have to check out the audio version. I feel like I’ve heard the BBC radio show, but it’s been a few years. I think I recall liking it though.

Oh its been years since I read The Princess Bride, but yeah they aren’t present in the movie at all. Though I guess the kid & Grandpa is a story within a story there as an analogue…

Peter Serofinowicz is just amazing in everything he does… Ohhhhh that voice

Ugh “Howell” Its Hwyel :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Well that was certainly an interesting start to my day :joy:

I’ve apparently heard him in a bunch of stuff but didn’t know it. Indeed great voice!

I think he is best known for Guardians of the Galaxy and Sean of the dead as well.

Sorry rambling off topic :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think what makes me most excited is where we are right now in the time line of more good omens.

It’s not a “oh it’ll happen eventually” situation, it’s a “we’re building the sets!”

Also, I wonder if somehow Agnes foretold the burning of her predictions and had a backup plan in place. I hope so!

1 Like

Well I guess, “Further nice and Accurate predictions” backup plan 1. So maybe there is an “Even further” copy. Or maybe, theres that line in the book “The next battle will be us (Heaven and Hell) versus them (mortals)”.

Neil has never steered me wrong zet :smiley:

2 Likes

One of those books that’s been on my “to read” list forever. Watching the show only made me want to read it more!

I think of this episode every damn time I see him in anything. Shame about Graham Linehan being an absolutely brimming burlap sack of shit.

1 Like

Yeah, massive bellend.

1 Like

Hadn’t heard of him - but looking him up, wondering if I should change my picture since he created that show. :frowning:

1 Like

If it makes you feel better, thats Chris Morris who is lovely, shy and effortlessly intelligent, and nothing like Glinner. Source: Me! :smiley:

2 Likes

I love Good Omens and I love both Pratchett & Gaiman but I don’t know if I want a season 2. I know they had talked about what could come next but the reason why it is so brilliant is because both their writing is interwoven throughout the book. You can easily tell who is writing what parts. Terrys parts are the best btw :slight_smile:

Will just put this out there

I do totally get that, and to be honest, if it was anyone other than Neil in charge, I would most definitely not want it. With him, I think there’s a chance. I’ll have to check that out.

1 Like

Anyone live in Scotland? Looks like a cool fan opportunity if you are there.

"The paid traineeship will introduce successful applications to the film and TV industry, developing their skills and knowledge around production, allocating them a mentor and providing the opportunity for external training courses.

While no previous experience in TV and film is required and applicants from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds are encouraged, those hoping to take part in the scheme must be based in Scotland, which is where season two will be filmed, and all trainees must be able to drive.

Production is set to commence on 18th October with the shoot taking place over 18 weeks until the 11th March in Bathgate and the Central Belt of Scotland.

The show is looking for trainees in production, props store, costume, locations, camera, makeup and continuity among other areas, with the application deadline set for Friday 9th July."

Cool opportunity.

5ons of work, but would be fun too.

1 Like

Neil just tweeted, coming soon…

This should be a treat if its as good as Good Omens

1 Like

That’s cool. I know my wife liked what she has seen of American Gods (so far just season 1), and she just started reading Sandman, she has liked other of his writings. You a fan of those? In general, I think Terry Pratchett’s more my speed than Neil, though I did love the movie of Stardust

How did you feel about Mirrormask though?

I hadn’t heard of it. Looked it up, I’ll see if I can see it somewhere and let you know. Reviews look like they complain about a lack of story, was that your experience?