Geoff Keighley gives his thoughts on PS5 + XsX

It bit Hello Games more in the butt. Didn’t see much critic against Sony but more against Sean Murray.

1 Like

I saw plenty of sony criticism about the situation. But yeah u had the oldguard over at neogaf/era deflecting blame away from sony.

I mean he has a point when it comes to the huge focus of Microsoft on Game Pass.

This weekend I am playing Battletoads, The Messenger and Void Bastards on the service (PC). It is insane.

I can´t wait to see the day big first party productions come to the service day one. We would be more optimistic if we had seen gameplay of these titles, but I don´t want developers to rush their games neither, Xbox really needs high high quality videogames to truly be in the game again.

I think to some, MS still needs to prove they can have a consistent output of high quality titles and I think that’s fair considering their history this gen.

1 Like

In tems of 1st party output I absolutely agree.

By now its like beating a dead horse. I mean ms bought like several devs, what more can they do?

Man keep playing The Messenger and don’t forget to pick the free DLC Picnic Panic. This game is an absolute treasure full of secrets! The OST is absolutely addictive it’s insane. The gameplay loop, the worlds, the dialogs and the story!

I don’t know where you are in the game but I finished it entirely dlc included and it’s one of my favourite games now. They will add 2 more DLCs later. Don’t sleep on it.

1 Like

You can tell this guy just doesn’t like xbox!!

Actually put out a consistent flow of quality titles. Acquiring studios does not mean much until we get the games.

1 Like

Not only that they have put out some really great games in a large quantity in 2020, somehow it gets ignored because these games are not 3rd person cinematic games.

The variety and quality of some of MS games this year is pretty staggering,

When will the narrative die? Seems the ONLY thing MS can do is pump out half a dozen 3rd person sad dad walking sims to get attention and even then the narrative would probably change to whatever Sony is doing at the time.

1 Like

But they are and have been putting out a consistent flow of quality titles, but that has not changed the “narrative”

1 Like

You mean like they have this year?

Yeah, please MS continue with that :+1:

1 Like

giphy(2)

What game did they release that stood out from the pack critically outside of Flight Simulator? I agree that they released some good games but 1st party are meant to be the best of the best.

1st party is meant to but never always is. There are more games that are critically looked at as “good” and not “best of the best”. And I think you are also forgetting Ori. There’s not a better platformer out there…and there’s not a better sim out there, for this year. While also releasing a bunch of other games that are either good (Tactics, Dungeons, Wasteland 3) or surprised a lot of people (Grounded). I think that people dismiss Xbox games because it’s not media darlings. That’s really what it boils down to.

Sure, it’s MS’ problem to solve but it is also what people talk about it and how they talk about stuff. Either you care about narratives or you don’t and actually discuss games. I think the whole “narrative” is just people making a story about stuff just to talk about things.

You’re right I did forget Ori and I don’t know how lol. Two games all year still doesn’t make a steady flow of top tier 1st party titles. Thing is, I don’t care about the narrative, I know what games I like regardless of critical reception. I’m merely giving reasons why people in the media or consumer space aren’t paying much attention to Xbox titles and you’re right, it is their problem to solve. I just don’t see the media being against Xbox. When they put out a quality game like Ori or Flight Sim, they get the attention they deserve.

When Phil Spencer says on stage that he wants to build the world’s best 1st party organization, people have no choice but to compare them to other 1st party organizations and while things have improved, they are still coming up short. Does that stop me from enjoying games like Battletoads? No but that’s the reality of it.

1 Like

What does “quality titles” mean to you because some people seem to think every single game below 90 Metacritic is bad or not a quality game which is stupid af to me. I think a quality game can be any score, 1 game you think is trach could be a quality game to someone.

I honestly feel like people are just asking for MS to be Sony and copy them, which would just be plain shit. I also feel like people think MS games are not as good just down to the pure “aura” around their titles of not generating the same hype levels and buzz.

The only game I can think of that got a huge amount of buzz and hype this entire gen for Xbox/MS is Flight Simulator. However just because MS games don’t get buzz and hype doesn’t mean they’re not quality games. I think some of this is down to the shit show of their console reveal that seriously set up this entire gen and burnt MS massively and they still have recovered from it yet.

It’s probably going to take 1 or 2 massive hits for people to go from the “Xbox has no games/ good games” to maybe looking at Xbox with 1 eye.

So… I don’t blame him for his opinion…

Most of the titles coming from Xbox Studios or those supported by Xbox, are not AAA Cinematographic or Stilo “Sony”. They are Multiplayers with Micro transactions and games as a service … the last and truly single-player were the Ori 1 and 2, and Quantum break, BEFORE THEY SPEAK, Halo 5 and the Gears … they have campaigns but I, at least less do not consider “Single-player cinematographic”. Maybe now they’ll be back with the “cinematic AAA” I don’t know. Just believe seeing.

I think he mean Big AAA Games, MS Big AAA Game in 2020 is MFS 2020 and it’s not available on Console.

People need to accept this not everyone likes to play Small games.

How do I ignore people?

2 Likes

When you say “…if this is the best they could do…” that implicitly suggests their goal is to show amazing content at ONL. My point about your framing is that you are operating under this assumption and then basing your argument entirely on top of it. It very clearly is not a correct assumption. If they wanted to have a blowout on ONL they would have. You can (again) make exactly the same argument about Sony, EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Bethesda, 2K, etc too. If they wanted to have a big presence, they would have. It doesn’t make sense to apply your assumption only to MS and not to everyone else, which makes your criticism there not very valid.

We already heard that MS had moved their marketing push out to September. Not on the basis of lacking stuff to share, but on the basis of wanting to drop bombs on Sony wrt the value proposition angle. They probably decided September/October is still enough time to show off the launch lineup with gameplay etc.

Rosario’s comment was from March I think and he deleted it before too many ppl could report on it.