Gears Discussion Thread: What should the future of the series be?

Gears Pop …

AYEEEEEE @NierlyCrazy !!!

1 Like

Jimmy Fallon Thumbs Up GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Hmm.

4 Games in a series on one console generation life time DOES seem a bit much.

Thank you I forgot, can you imagine the output if the Coalition had 600 devs.

Gears Tactics is a turn based strategy RPG and cross-gen while Gears UE was a remastered version of the original 2006 game. So it was more like two games and an expansion (Hivebusters) which is not a lot in 7 years.

1 Like

Just make Gears 6 like Hivebusters.

Gears is too big of an IP to shelve, but also too small relative to The Coalition’s ability and potential. I said this in the acquisition thread, that I’d love to see Xbox hand off Gears to another studio. My idea was to tap People Can Fly (Outriders, Gears Judgement) for a full blown Hivebusters spinoff and whatever that may entail be it a wider range of powers, loot, different level structure, etc.

Of course, I still want to see the main trilogy (?) conclude as well as more of Tactics, but let a new team with different ideas take a stab at the franchise and you can do so in the safety of a compartmentalized series. If The Coalition wants to be working on Gears of War for the foreseeable future, then I have no qualms but would like to see more risk taking.

It is all about franchise fatigue

I have played 4 and 5, hence it is a perfect game for me and can’t wait for 6 to come out

Fatigue is for gamers who are playing since 1. Which is understandable as well

6 needs to be a Graphical Benchmark to overcome fatigue (which it definitely would be)

Talking about future of coalition and gears after 6, Horror, TPS RPG is good direction and I would like any of the generes or combined

Is this where we argue if TC should even make another Gears game for awhile or is that separate

Pour it all out

Big in what sense? Maybe in the 360 for xbox but not anymore.

Right now at Xbox its probably below Halo, SoT, Forza Horizon, Fallout, Doom, TES, Minecraft and such for starters.

Agree with this

Me neither but I will happily ignore all the “Coalition is underrated or deserve more recognition” posts. They wont get some if this all they want to do tbh. The series has had like 9 games and it is what it is at this point with the current formula.

Well then I’d definitely like to see them work on something else after Gears 6. I’m on team time for a break.

2 Likes

Ok, here goes…

First of all, Happy 15th Birthday Gears!

15 years later, I do think the franchise is in a more or less strong position, but there are some improvements I’d like to see going forward.

• Gears 6 should be like Halo Infinite: A growing platform game with F2P multiplayer. Let the multiplayer fans have an untouched, Gears ass Gears multiplayer.

• Use the game as a platform to expand with new and exciting campaigns. Hivebusters is probably the best overall piece of Gears content in my opinion.

• In terms of the campaign going forward, I prefer linearity but the open-world has potential with more iteration.

• I think whenever they do reboot the series (or try something new with the campaign), it should be like Doom 2016. Go back to basics and evolve it from there. Gripping fights, brutal fast executions, strategic cover.

• Controversially, I think old man Marcus should be the protagonist of Gears 6’s main campaign and it should close out his story. Pivot to Kait, Fahz, etc. for the subsequent campaigns.

• Allow a team at Coalition to make New IP and grow as needed.

4 Likes

A good wait is needed until we see Gears 6. It needs say a 6 year break between games which is what Halo has received.

In the meantime a sequel to Tactics would be well received

But people need to pretend to like it in order to constantly shit on it.

2 Likes

@Shpeshal_Nick had it right, this is one of the best trailers. Would love to have a Gears that has this eerie scary atmosphere, well, basically a survival horror Gears.

3 Likes

Some things they could do to freshen things up:

1. Continue along the lines of a differentiated squad toyed with in Hivebusters, where each character has a different special ability and a skill tree for it. Just make this a bit deeper in terms of both the affect the skill has on gameplay and the skill tree options (branches) for it. I would also like to see skill trees for general character attribute upgrades. Would be good to get characters that suit different playstyles by having differentiated attributes from the outset. One faster, one more durable etc. Perhaps expand on that one bit in Hivebusters where Lahni can get through a space the others can’t so there is actually some variation in gameplay depending on who you choose. Would create more replayability.

2. More squad control in single player and perhaps even squad swapping mid-play would be cool. Perhaps even approach Mass Effect with commands for your team maters, but also the ability to jump your control around them if playing solo. That could lead to some pretty cool gameplay combinations.

3. If they are going to put open-world sections in there, do it properly. Lots of missions that actually unfold deeper backstory beats rather than being throwaway. If skiff based, then have procedurally generated challenges for every skiff ride. Mosters attack you or chase you and you need to gun on the go, obstacles spawn, and so on.

4. Along the lines of the open-world suggestion, more explorable levels are also kind of needed if they are going to go the route of upgrades to collect. With both Jack in 5 and character skills in Hive Busters, the linear nature of the levels made it pretty throwaway to collect upgrades – you’d have to be really sleeping at the wheel to miss one, they were just kind of there to be found. A bit more explorability so you need to search for them rather than just have them drop in your lap would be more rewarding.

5. While I would be happy with a full campaign, how much I enjoyed Hive Busters as a tight slice of Gears gameplay did make me think that the series could thrive in an episodic structure. If you had, say, two Hive Busters length episodes drop every year for three years and had the next game be an epic six-episode ‘series’ – the end story would actually be much longer and more involved as a whole, but each episode would be tight and well structured and you’d always have something new to play every few months. Or they could do a bit of both – drop with a normal Gears length campaign, and then continue the story through an episodic structure.

Anyway, just a few ideas as to where it could go.

1 Like

It was the same output of Naughty Dog (2 main games, UC4 and TLoU2, a spin-off, UCLL, a remaster, TLoU and a dlc, Left Behind), a studio with 200+ more devs and better funding, and TC even found the time to make a free next gen version of Gears 5 in the same meantime (also the two main games and the remaster all had multiplayer, actively supported for 1 year for the UE and 2+ years for the main games).

Gears 6 only needs more time than the usual 3 years, then it will launch within a much better positioned Xbox and it will do great, last gen it suffered because of the platform issues, it has always been a “showcase game”, so its success perfectly reflects the state of the platform (and it actually towed the 1st party output along with Forza, Halo had a veeery troubled gen with the MCC launch failure, the middling reception of Halo 5 and the decline of Halo Wars 2, with the stasis of the spinoff series) and among 1st party the success stories were few and far between (SoT, but after launch, SOD 2 was ultimately successfull, but also glitch ridden and it did not fill the bridge between indie and AAA, Ori, and then nothing else).

a lot of the tentpole games that Xbox so desperately clung onto in the previous gen can now take more time in the oven and come out better, due to there being several other studios and games to fill in that space.

2 Likes

Either finish the series with Gear 6 and move onto a new IP or completely reboot the series after Gears 6 . I liked @Shpeshal_Nick 's idea . Make it a linear , dark , survival horror game and a visual showcase ( the last part is not hard for coalition) .