Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

Yeah unfortunately PC gaming is still hit or miss. Most UE titles have shader compilation stutter issues, even custom engines have issues like the traversal stutter found in Dead Space. Unfortunately first party Xbox games aren’t free of issues either. Redfall is horribly threaded on the CPU side and performance is handicapped as a result. It’s more hit or miss based on the studio it seems and not the publisher itself. I plan to play Starfield on PC since Bethesda has a good history with PC but that doesn’t guarantee every PC port from Xbox will be of the same quality. Even studios with a great reputation like Nixxes have had some ports with issues, like the recent R&C port. It’s an ok port but has some issues that we don’t traditionally see from Nixxes.

If the PC port is good and supports cross play in MP, I’ll usually go with that version. If the PC port has issues or the MP doesn’t support crossplay, I’ll go for the console port.

I expect games to hit those 4k targets more often and have either higher quality RT, more RT effects, and/or higher quality settings.

The differences between the PS4 Pro and One X were noticeable IMO and I’m expecting the difference between the PS5/SX and the PS5 Pro to at least be at that level, if not larger. Current gen games like Remnant 2 and A Plague Tale Requiem render at rather low resolutions when targeting 60fps, I expect those types of games to hit closer to 4K resolutions on the Pro.

Another way of looking at it could be current gen consoles 30fps quality modes running at 60fps on the Pro unless it’s CPU bound.

1 Like

There are games from 2023 which can’t even hit 720p@60fps constantly. So suddenly a console with doubled performance metrics to achieve 4k@60fps seems outlandish. Memory bandwith is also not doubling.

I expect to be underwhelmed.

2024 will be interesting with Switch 2 when everybody will have this machine as their target.

I didn’t say every game would hit 4k, just they would hit those targets more often. If anything, it’ll at least be closer to 4k than the base consoles, which would greatly benefit FSR since that works best at higher resolutions.

I don’t follow or watch podcasts(sorry guys), but this is kinda interesting.

https://twitter.com/HazzadorGamin/status/1688137729228562432?s=20

Also, is there no thread where podcast subjects are discussed?

I wonder if the shell will change for the XSX digital? Maybe make it shorter? Or would it be like the 1S where the shell was the same size but didn’t include the blu-ray player.

Podcast thread @ XboxEra Podcast |OT| - Better than the other one you listen to but most don’t use it and just dump talk in the kitchen sink Community thread.

1 Like

I honestly have no idea, but I’m a bit more interested in that 2025 bit. Hopefully a mid gen refresh after all, or the crazy bastards introduce next gen.

Nah, that I cannot see happening.

A digital Series X? Interesting. I assume this thing will have a different form factor.

Still sounds boring :woman_shrugging:

“Please pay us 600 bucks (again) so your games hit 4k more often. But no promises!” I get really excited just thinking about it :smiley:

Maybe I’m too jaded but i think this time around the consoles started pretty well balanced and i didnt get the impression ‘oh my Xbox is underpowered’ like with the Xbone.

If you want me to fork over lots of money again you have to basically do what NVidia did in 2018 with Turing. But AMD is still not there.

And that’s perfectly fair. I’m not trying to convince anyone to be interested or excited. Hell, I’m not excited at the idea of a pro console lol. I’m just sharing what I think people should expect. The higher rumored clocks are leaning me to think it would be RSNA3 since that architecture was capable of higher clocks. If that’s the case, I can see a considerable jump in RT performance. I’m not excited for this rumored console, but I do find the idea of it interesting.

And to be fair, the 4k claims and promises you characterize here was already done with the PS5 and SX lol these companies will always promote bigger and better with new hardware.

1 Like

I bought a PC last September. 950 quid. AMD Ryzen 7 5700g processor, RTX3070ti gpu, 16gb 3600mhz RAM and 500gb SSD for 900 quid. Granted at the time it was an absolute steal, when the GPU was still 700 quid.

In your scenario a PS5 Pro is never competing with my PC when it comes to GTA6 or Witcher 4 and my PC struggles with the Witcher 3 at higher graphics settings with any RT turned on…

If I was buying a second machine to get the best out of a game… I’d opt for a mid-high range PC every day of the week. My Series X hasn’t played a game in 10 months now… It’s now a glorified Netflix/Disney+ machine for the kids.

If Microsoft and Sony are indeed releasing a pro version. I’m leeching onto GTA6 marketing like a parasite. Shouting from the heavens that getting a Pro will be the only way to play GTA6 at 60 fps on consoles.

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Other plans for hardware in 2025, I’m guessing that means a more powerful Xbox, very likely not the next, although I wouldn’t be against it. Assuming it’s true I wonder if these plans were always there or if this is an “answer” to the PS5 Pro rumors. Could be a repeat of last gen where One X came a year later. Ideally (imo) it was gonna be 2024 too, but alas.

That one year made the difference between a real 4k machine and a fake one. Most people think 2024 is too soon and the jump won’t be big enough, let’s see what 2025 brings.

They definitely aren’t responding to the rumors since they know better than any of these people what their competitor is doing.

Makes the most sense. Don’t really have to redesign anything, considering the way it’s built it should be quite easy for them to make a shell without the blu-ray tray and eject button, pull out the drive and call it a day. Minimal R&D and easy to get out into the wild.

Long story short seems…

PS5 has issues that were quickly removed on Xbox, odd to see them here. PS5 has higher resolution at 1800 vs 1440p but more performance issues and other visual stuff not up to snuff.

Looks like AMD FSR 3.0 (frame gen) might launch with Starfield

1 Like

I want to see the next gen Xbox to perform no less than a 4070. If they manage to do it then it will draw lot of new PC gamers.

I would be surprised to see any sort of Frame Generation from AMD or Intel this side of 2024. That would be an incredibly fast catch-up for anyone else to pull off.

1 Like

AMD announced the Frame Gen back at the launch of 7900xt last year. With shiping window of 2023.

Yeah, I nearly forgot about that sort of “we’ll have it too” moment, but I’m still expecting it to take a bit longer. Would love to see it happen this year.

1 Like