Games Analysis |OT| Time To Argue About Pixels And Frames!

I’ll watch this. I don’t have the C1, I got C9 but there might be something useful.

EnAnalistaDebits on YouTube analyzed Elden Ring as well. According to a summary I read both PS5 and XSX are 2160p, PS5 has the slightly better framerate and better shadows.

Didn’t DF say X had a lower resolution too? Ah well. At the end of the day we’re all analyzing a game that is in the middle of development, when it releases it really should just be on par with PS5. Well, actually it should have the edge on Xbox, but not every dev goes the extra mile.

An analysis I saw on the Series S, the graphics mode was hitting similar frame rates to performance mode :skull: it’s safe to say the game is not in a representative state of performance. It SHOULD get much better come launch

This would be a normal conclusion for almost every other developer out there but we are talking about From here so I wouldn’t hold my breath. lol

As much as I love their games in the tech side of things they are truly incompetent even in the most basic kind of things…like locking the damn frame-rate at 30fps on the Pro and One X (I seriously can’t understand the reason for leaving the frame-rate unlocked on these systems) and finally fixing this cursed frame-pacing. I honestly stopped expecting even the most basic stuff from them regarding performance and I have made my peace, I’ll play and enjoy their games but I know that technical problems comes with the territory so I already have super low expectations.

1 Like

True. I forgot to say that this is in quality mode and in my opinion isn’t the preferable mode because it’s 30fps and once you have a taste of this game in 60fps, especially with VRR there’s no going back.

Wonder what the resolution is in franerate mode, probably dynamic 4K.

FH5 is so well optimised for PC hardware… It’s raising my hopes for an xbox portable

Yeah it’s a shame. At least they did finally got a very decent AA solution ever since Sekiro really, so that’s improvement. I don’t expect them to go the extra mile for XSX with this game, but at least have them make it on par with PS5. Visual fidelity should not be any better on inferior hardware, there’s just no excuse for that.

1 Like

Yeah this was a great watch. Shocking like always to see how fuzzy/stuttery the game was, so used to the MCC version now.

3 Likes

Not at all surprised because it runs well and looks good on the Xbox One, which is a bit of a cake walk for a modest PC to reach nowadays.

It is why I think we will see a noticeable jump for FH6 even though FH5 looks stunning.

This is implying One X runs the game 60fps better and higher resolution than the Series S, right?

If yes, then WTF, 343

yeah john is specifically super confused on the technical state of the game.

343 probably need some managerial and development restructuring especially now with wfh. I’m happy for and with Infinite but you get a sense many aspects should have been much better for a 1st party studio and considering the scale and support of 343.

Definitely some hurdles along the development period but as John mentioned, most of these issues could be fixed and hope they do soon.

1 Like

That’s an understatement probably lol

Really hope it was development hurdles unique with Infinite because they rebuilt their engine and stuff, and doesn’t span the studio’s structure and culture, etc. I want 343i to be in an ‘optimal’ status of execution, polish and delivery that 1st party studios should be at.

2 Likes

Here it goes

2 Likes

Only watched the first 10 minutes or so and it’s an interesting video so far. With how late it is, I’ll have to save the rest for tomorrow.

John’s description in the video is encouraging:

Halo Infinite’s campaign can finally be fully revealed and the news is good. 343’s take on the open world is great, combat is the best it’s been in years and audio is sublime. Problems in the tech department take off some of the sheen, but 343 tell us that key issues are already being fixed for a post-launch patch. And ultimately, even as it stands, the developers have delivered one of the best first-person shooters of the last decade.

8 Likes

Post-launch patch

Like day one patch?

Just my insights here, but with regard to the “wobble”, it could be a vertex issue where they are rendered at a lower precision, as John said, but only in more complex situations where they need to pull some CPU back. My first thought was a compression artefact, which is quite common on older hardware and titles and shows up progressively worse with higher density vertex counts. But then, that would be an engine wide thing and would appear all the time. The fact it only shows up when outdoors, and even then only in certain places with various levels of, well, wobble, suggests to me that its something they are doing on the fly to bring CPU utilisation down.

HOWEVER.

This is something you would expect on an old system, like say, the Xbox One. I would not expect this, at all, on the Series consoles (EITHER of them).

This and a few other technical curiosities, are telling me that they are not quite taking advantage of the new systems in the way one would expect. They are simply running the game in higher resolution, without much change anywhere else. Things like the wobble and half rate animations have no need or indeed place on current gen systems. The shadow map resolution and fallout distance for cascades can be changed easily for only next gen systems but remains the same short falloff…

So many of these little things that I picked up on before, that I would have put money on being just old legacy stuff about to be changed for the new consoles, was just… Forgotten about. And that happens. They wanted to get the game out and be the best it could be. But the little tiny technical niggles…? They shouldn’t be here. They have some how been forgotten, or missed, and I can’t say why. There appears to be more than enough CPU overhead to allow for the above half rate and vertex precision issues to not exist, so to see them in the new gen consoles is baffling.

Will it change my enjoyment of the game? No. Not at all. I’ve put in 2 and a half days total playtime of the MP beta so far. I think I’ll be ok. And thats likely why these issues were missed.

7 Likes

i don’t think these things have been forgotten or were missed. I’m pretty sure all these are tasks in 343i backlog.

I just hope they don’t rush the patch like Playground just did. Take your time, i have enough games to play and Halo Infinite is a 10 year game.

3 Likes