Forza Horizon 5 is IGN's GOTY 2021 (4 Awards in total)

• Best Game of the Year 2021 : Forza Horizon 5
  • Best Console Exclusive of the Year 2021 : Forza Horizon 5
  • Best Action Game of the Year 2021 : Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Best Action-Adventure Game of the Year 2021 : Metroid Dread
  • Best Puzzle Game of the Year 2021 : Chicory a Colorful Tale
  • Best Racing Game of the Year 2021 : Forza Horizon 5
  • Best RPG of the Year 2021 : Tales of Arise
  • Best Shooter of the Year 2021 : Halo Infinite
  • Best Strategy Game of the Year : Inscryption
  • Most Accessible Game of the Year 2021 : Forza Horizon 5
  • Best Music in a Video Game of the Year 2021 : Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Best Ongoing Game of the Year : Final Fantasy XIV
  • Best Performance of the Year 2021 : Jason E. Kelley (Colt Vahn - Deathloop)
  • Best Story of the Year 2021 : Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Best Video Game Art of the Year 2021 : Deathloop
10 Likes

Deserved, only that big advertizing show that calls itself “Games Awards” could not even nominate the game for GOTY. XD

4 Likes

Deserved. My GOTY as well. My most played game, and I play it almost everyday still.

It’s gonna stay with me for a couple of years, for sure.

1 Like

Great to see the series finally getting the recognition it deserves.

1 Like

I know this sounds biased now but IGN has been pretty damn on point the last few GOTYs:

2015 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Action role-playing CD Projekt Red
2016 Overwatch[314] First-person shooter Blizzard Entertainment
2017 The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild[315] Action-adventure Nintendo EPD
2018 God of War[316] Action-adventure Santa Monica Studio
2019 Control[317] Action-adventure Remedy Entertainment
2020 Hades[318] Action role-playing Supergiant Games
1 Like

If you listen to the Games Awards podcast, the explanation for that actually makes a lot of sense. This is the episode in question:

In a nutshell, it boils down to the way publications do reviews and internal nominations for what to submit as their official nominees. A lot of the time, any given game may have only been played by one or two people, and therefore will have only one or two advocates on that publication’s jury, while another game may have had half the staff playing it, and then will receive more votes.

This explains the discrepancy in meta critic review scores, and why a publication who rated a game 10/10 may not even include that game on their submissions to TGA.

Honestly, I don’t care about their lame excuses, it screams all over the rooftops “a car game doesn’t deserve that nomination” , like Jez said, that decision disqualified the awards and the whole industry, the best game of the year not even nominated. Honestly it is significantly superior than any of the other nominated games, by any objective measure.

1 Like

Everything but 2019 (Sekiro was the rightful overall victor) is pretty good, although 2016 I’d say Inside for me personally and also IGN themselves gave it a 10, but Overwatch was a proper phenomenon so I understand.

1 Like

Yeah I would’ve easily given it to Sekiro too, but Control isn’t egregious enough where I’d judge their decisions going forward. Maybe just because Sekiro was a tough game

1 Like

Yeaah you’re prolly right, but I mean it’s not like IGN didn’t review that game very well, I think the score was 9.2 or something like that, but maybe due to its difficulty factor not as many gravitated to it compared to Control, which was a good game too (albeit on the shorter end with an abrupt ending).

1 Like

Well deserved and i’m very happy for Playground Games.