[Famitsu] Jim Ryan: No PS1-PS3 backwards compatibility

Well there’s some light on BC for PS5, now can they clarify how PS4 games will work.

3 Likes

Xbox stays winning!

3 Likes

I thought there was insiders saying PS5 would be backwards compat with all Playstation generations? Sony seems to be doing some really strange stuff. Did they hire Don Mattrick?

1 Like

I guess they DO believe in cutting previous generations after all :wink:

8 Likes

tenor (7)

giphy

1 Like

This sucks for my PS-only friends (all of them) but the worst part is that since I’m the only one who’s tuned into news, I can’t let them know without it looking like I’m bragging :disappointed_relieved:

Edit: Actually this stinks for me too, now that I think of it. I have a bunch of PS3/P/Vita games digitally. I knew it was a long shot and I wasn’t intending on getting a PS5 anyway but I’m still gonna be mad about it!

While implementing that, we also focused our efforts on taking in the high-speed SSD and the new controller DualSense at the same time. So, unfortunately, we couldn’t reach the implementation of such compatibilities.

I don’t even know what he is trying to justify with that statement XD

5 Likes

Going overkill with the SSD is going to be like the Cell processor for PS3. It’s going to do more harm than good. Then you add in the variable speeds and oh jeez.

Was never expecting any BC of any kind. I’ll be shocked if even PS4 games end up working properly.

1 Like

That makes no sense at all.

The team that developed the controller would be the same team that would work on backwards compatibility?

5 Likes

This pains me because I was hoping that the PS5 would have at least BC with the original PlayStation. It is not like it’s difficult.

it’s just crazy to me the kind of legacy they’re just leaving behind.

Or is it just more reason to believe they’ll all go to PS Now and you gotta pay for em all over again?

3 Likes

It doesn’t have to make sense when you are never questioned.

4 Likes

Maybe they just don’t have the approved resources to get this working

Sony could think it’s better to use Dev time on other things

Honestly quite disappointing. The 360 and og xbox BC has been a really good thing on my 1x, its like a trip down memory lane but without low resolution and dodgy framerates.

Sony are not doing BC on there past platforms because they think it will make them more money because they can resell people old games, but I think making the investment to make a lot of PS3 titles and some PS2 + PS1 with enhancments playable on PS5 will increase sales of these games and enrich the echo system.

One day in like 20yrs from now, I think people wont buy new hardware because there will be no need, and having BC will be important. Its going to less about the hardware and more about ecosystem, legacy, games, services, infrastructure and software features.

1 Like

Wasn’t this known for months now. We knew they would have BC for PS4 but no PS3 and 2 and 1.

One thing is for sure, BC Xbox team stays slaying. They are so far ahead when it comes to BC.

1 Like

As expected not big deal… I mean they said clearly that the gamers don’t want to play old games… yeah sure

I don’t trust the “99% of PS4 titles will run on PS5” thing either. They can easily just come out after launch saying “We tried but we couldn’t. PS5 will only support PS4 titles that actually sold a lot of copies and has potential to be bought by new customers. We believe in generations again!”

1 Like

Agreed and:

Oh wait another clown here, look! Lol.

https://mobile.twitter.com/HipHopGamer/status/1306693096239923200