Exclusives ‘ethics’ discussion

Weren’t Xbox gamers saying the same just a month or two ago about Spiderman in Avengers? That is just one of the downsides of exclusives that we gotta acknowledge, some people are going to get locked out (for a variety of reasons). Luckily for folks, the XSS and xCloud lower the barrier of entry.

It really just comes across as a discussion of pros and cons but you guys are obviously getting more out of this than I am.

But you’re proving my point. She mentioned none of the lower barriers for entry. If she were so concerned about broke Sony-only players, why not mention All-Access, Series S or xCloud? That would be a legit ways to address those “concerns”.

This isn’t reading into anything. This is the double-standard she ADMITS she has for MS.

8 Likes

Like Alannah said, its business.

I disagree with the notion that just because a franchise has been multiplat for a long time it makes it less fair to gamers. It still sucks that people have to spend $400-500 just to play the next naughty dog or insomniac games, at least Microsoft is making the barrier to entry very affordable.

I think theres nothing more to be said on this issue, xbox has said there stance, now we just wait and see.

I said before the acquisition that Microsoft could “win” if they just made some megaton investments and they have, its smart and if other companies follow suit, people will vote with there dollers.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

If say in 2025 google have take 2, amazon have Activision, one or 2 of them is going to go down And there assets will be sold off.

Im glad xbox is stronger because of this and im glad i dont have to spend £50 on zenimax games. Its a win win.

3 Likes

All the whining, crying, vitriol, etc over this acquisition only proves that the IPs involved are popular and loved. Like others said, if Sony had the money to buy, it would be exclusive to PS systems, period. If one of the big pubs (EA or ActiBlizz) purchased it, it would be run into the ground, people would lose jobs in both the short and long term and we’d all be upset even if we didn’t like the games. Ninty would probably make them Pokemon spinoffs or something. And I dread to think of Zeni being tied to Apple, Amazon, Google or Tencent. Yes, Zeni probably could have stayed fine on their own but this scenario isn’t exactly a deathknell for said IP involved, GPU pretty much proves that.

In all seriousness, where was the concern when SF5 was console exclusive? Did Sony really have to pay for programming or did they just want to make sure it was only on PS? I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t want it on PC but had no choice for some reason or another. And I can almost guarantee the MLB choice in making the Show multi was solely due to MLB themselves and forced Sony’s hand.

TLDR, if Sony had MS’ money, the gaming industry as it stands right now would be totally different, and IMHO, a complete shitshow with faulty, expensive under-performing hardware.

10 Likes

Which she doesn’t get. MS wants to sell the Xbox ecosystem (gamepass, xcloud, console, PC). Offering the games on PS is the opposite of that.

Nobody plays only one game. They will play many. After playing Elder Scrolls, maybe play some Fifa? Or Call of Duty? If they are on the Xbox ecosystem, they’ll buy it there. And then come back for buying more stuff later.

If they are on PS, MS gets nothing out of those future sales, and that user’s engagement with the Xbox ecosystem will be zero.

5 Likes

I like Alanah and don’t give a shit whether games remain exclusive or not, only that Game Pass drives enough support that Nadella and Co keep funding it. On that note, these games will be exclusive enough to drive Game Pass Ultimate subs. That means they won’t be on Playstation.

Where I believe the arguments against exclusivity fall short:

• Ignores history of their favorite platforms using exclusives to drive marketshare. Yeah I hate whataboutism but I wish arguments were using consistent logic.
  • Ignores Playststion gamers will have access to these games on the cheap without a Xbox or Xbox controller cheaper than if those games existed locally on PS5. Xcloud will be running off of Series X APUs with improved tech from Microsoft and an improving worldwide internet over the next year or two.
  • Its a new gen. Not as if consumers bought something with one promise and had the rug pulled out under them.
9 Likes

This is true, Sony makes high quality games but their first party is by far the least diverse of the bunch. They’re basically stuck making 3rd person action adventure games and it ends up being high risk for them to make something else

Like are we ever going to see Sony make an RTS or a tactics game? Something like Flight Simulator? Probably not

2 Likes

I’ve yet to watch the video but I’m already laughing at the fact that none of this discussion happened after Sony made Fall Guys exclusive for the PlayStation 4.

It’s a recent example of a highly sought title where Sony bought exclusivity rights to the point where their developers can’t even commit to the possibility of an Xbox version.

And no one said ANYTHING. No one even MENTIONED it.

Fall guys being an exclusive was simply a part of life that was normal and nothing worth discussing.

Where was all this talk of accessibility at that time?

I’ll likely watch the video in the next few days but the fact that it exists is absolutely silly.

4 Likes

Xbox got Carrion and Sony got Fall Guys right around the same time and from the same publisher. Don’t think anyone really expected Fall Guys to be as big as it got, so not sure its a great example.

2 Likes

Tbh I was upset when I first heard about the rumour about FF16 being timed for Playstation.

And likewise people will be upset when ES6 will be exclusive to xbox. And we all have the right to show or anger.

Yet in the end it doesn’t matter. People WILL buy a console for ES6 and FF16. FF7 remake showed how much power such mega franchises have.

Xclould will show high increase with ES6 and so the sales for series s the COMPANION console.

4 Likes

Correct, the Show is multiplatform because MLB forced them to do it or lose license.

Yes I agree.

Frankly I dont know why people watch or listen to Alannah she is not that knowledgeable and is wrong about a lot of things. Imo the best thing people can do is not listen, talk or make threads about her. There are far better sources, podcasters and YouTubers people should spend there time and energy on.

So I’m curious how come Alanah hasn’t made a video about this when Sony was money hatting timed FF16, when Fall Guys came out etc

4 Likes

My whole issue with this is the double standard and clear media bias against Microsoft. Sony tried to weasel their way into making starfield time exclusive, and I’m sure the media would be quiet like they are about games like; Deathloop, Ghostwire, FF16, etc.

Also I don’t like how media is now saying locking away known multiplatform games is a bad thing when barely any articles criticizing Sony for blocking Street Fighter from Xbox and possibly Nintendo consoles. I believe that one is a major issue because it pretty much made fighting game community for Microsoft brand very weak last gen, and made Xbox an afterthought after Killer Instinct faded away.

Anyways, it’s a business and Microsoft will do what’s best for Microsoft and that will be making these games exclusive to; Xbox consoles, PC/Steam, and Xcloud. I do find it weird that nobody asks these questions when other platforms make games that were multiplatform exclusives. Also if Sony were to purchase Zenimax then I believe even more gamers won’t have access to these games because I’m sure they wouldn’t release these games on PC.

Also it’s weird that this is the only industry that doesn’t understand content is king because you don’t see HBO putting their shows on other streaming platforms. So, we shouldn’t expect Microsoft to put their games on other platforms just like we shouldn’t expect sunset overdrive 2 on xbox.

6 Likes

You know what? This video pisses me off so much that I genuinely hope MS buys another big publisher like Sega or Capcom and makes their games exclusive too, just out of spite and a big middle finger to these clowns

6 Likes

Lol. Relax, it’s one person’s opinion. It doesn’t change the fact Bethesda and its IPs belong to Microsoft and if Microsoft wants to make them exclusive then $7.5 billion gives them the right to.

1 Like

I’m sure she’s not a console warrior, but you could see her jumping through mental hoops to make her point and make an exception for Sony.

I think it’s okay to have a favorite, but the argument she was trying to make didn’t make the landing.

9 Likes

Or another way to think of it could be that Sony has to follow prescribed genre outlines for their titles in order to make use of shared dev resources in a meaningful way. For instance, tech built for an FPS would not help most of their teams, so why bother greenlighting something like that? Stuff built to make super rich worlds for rpg systems also would not help very many teams. So they benefit a LOT imho from having fairly narrow aspirations for genre coverage and game design.

MS has a lot more diversity but now have reached a point where each genre has multiple franchises in it. FPS has Halo/Doom/Wolfenstein/Starfield(?). RPG has Fable/Avowed/Starfield/Wasteland/Fallout/TES. Racing has the two Forza franchises. Action Adventure has Fable/Everwild/TES/Hellblade/Dishonored. RTS has Gears Tactics/AoE/Halo Wars. Etc. TONS of flourishing pockets now with tech and design cross over with XGS.

Building those out at the tech and design language sorta level to fully leverage XVA and VRS and RT and ML and other tech fronts unique to Xbox could really help all these pockets/titles.

2 Likes

Ah ok. Perhaps Street Fighter 5 is probably the best example anyways, considering it’s not an indie title.

I dont understand this narrative that because Microsoft spent 7.5 billion they are going to need to put their games on other platforms. Are people that small minded to see the bigger picture here. Game pass is trying to become netflix of gaming and to do that you need to take huge losses in the beginning till you have enough subs to turn a profit. There is no way Microsoft is going to waste time developing for ps5. There is no console wars anymore its a ecosystem war. Buying the games on ps5 does nothing for your ecosystem so its a bad move. Microsoft wants to lock your purchases to their platform and offering your content to other platforms would go against that. You don’t see stranger things on Amazon prime because exclusive content keeps people subbed to netflix and the same applies to xbox. If playstation players want to play the next elder scrolls they can play it on xcloud when its a app on your TV for $15 a month or buy a series S when its $199

3 Likes