Epic Games v. Apple Court Case - Law & Order Special Episode

Amazon is not an app store.

What epic is seeking is a way to allow users to install their (future) app store. But this cannot be done if all apps must go through the apple app store. The 30% debate is secondary to epic, but helps them to show that apple is making use of their position on the market to force their (uncompetitive) conditions.

2 Likes

Please EU and USA, force them to open up their hardware. Even if I have to sign a waiver for warranty. I would love an actual opensource store on IOS devices like I have on Android devices (like F-Droid), that doesn’t require jail breaking. Their notion of “web apps exist”, when not allowing other browsers than Safari (or they have to use their engine!), on the platform is also so damn cheap.

Microsoft was taken to court over (rightfully so!) over the browser part alone! And was fined over it! And had to take it out!

And with Microsoft Windows you COULD install a different browser. With IOS you simply can’t.

1 Like

Its hilarious to see the dawning realisation that many of us have known for a while that Sony are bad, bad, bad news for the industry, specifically for the gamer. Its hilarious how Americans and Europeans have this weird distorted view of Japanese business practice and think they’re the good guys, when the reality is completely the opposite.

They are incredibly hard headed profit orientated and very very conservative. You look at MS and their corporate social responsibility, drive for accessibility and the like and the comparison is absolutely terrible for Sony. The only reason they’ve maintained the veneer of respectability so long is because some people care very deeply about corporate behaviour and simultaneously want a PlayStation and those people have wittingly or otherwise created a crazy narrative about Sony. None of these corporations are your friends and they are all ultimately only interested in making money off you. Some behave better whilst doing that. Sony are one of the worst sadly…its just the way it is.

2 Likes

I don’t like Sony’s consoles, but their phones are neat! And quite open. Where as Apple? Serious man… why are they getting away with all of this? Microsoft was hounded for the Browser and Windows Media Player parts alone! And rightfully so. Apple forces you to use Safari and their store, whether you like it or not. Security reasons they claim, while fine, I’ll sign that waiver if it allows me open source stores like F-Droid on IOS. Only then will I buy an Apple Phone or Tablet!

No corps are you friends though, I agree there: But for Audio and Video Products? Sony products are quite good and open.

Sony phones aren’t market leading - they are competing against the big boys - if Sony were in Apple’s position they’d be exactly the same. And this is the point. I like Apple stuff but I’m under absolutely no illusions as to what Apple are - in spite of the glorified propaganda many swallow up about them being some sort of protector of the consumer etc…it just goes to show you how perception is everything and reality distorts to that perception.

I wonder why :smirk:

6 Likes

I do believe that Sony is very different per department. Playstation comes from a culture of being “scorned by Nintendo”. And it shows in their entire way of doing things. Including all the nasty practices they do. I do concur with you they behave like a monopolist, but they are far from being an “Apple”. I love Wozniak, and really Amiga was miles better than ANYTHING Apple made at the time, but would still love their stuff… If it wasn’t so anti consumer, a fashionista product and their rabid fanboys defending EVERYTHING.

Again, not surprised :joy:

8 Likes

That email exchange is amazing by the way. Epic pretty much threatened to use UE4 as leverage in order to force crossplay.

3 Likes

I am not bloody surprised.

2 Likes

big yikes Sony didn’t want anyone to see their dirty dealings lol

But its just good business sense they would have no reason to feel any “shame” for it being leaked /s

As someone who loves the idea of cross play/cross save/cross progression this is the kind of humbug which really boils my wee :slight_smile:

6 Likes

This just adds more to the fire of Sony seems to be in gaming more for cash than gaming itself. See the free things MS is doing and all the moves they do which are both for profit but for gaming itself. MS didn’t need to do BC and they didn’t need to do FPS boost or auto HDR yet they did. You see all the high ups at Xbox on twitter, podcasts and doing interviews on youtube, you see them playing games of all sorts.

Instead of thinking of this being a great thing for gaming they went straight to how is this is going to hurt our pockets, I get it though because they are the market leader but cmon.

1 Like

I mean everybody is lol. This is a business to make money.

read the rest of what I said, obviously they’re all in it for the money.

3 Likes

Yeah I get it, I truly do from a cold business standpoint. They are (were) in the dominant position and it was late in the gen that the conversation really got loud regarding cross play. So it is, at a glance more help to their competitors than themselves.

The fact of the matter though is that a great deal of people asked for it, and it is Sony who want people to believe they are “for the Gamers” (as much as that makes me cringe) so they should act like it. A healthy population of online games is good for everybody, not least more games who have to worry less about smaller compartmentalised populations fading.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Crying

This court hearing is exposing everyone

1 Like

lol they’ll bundle in mountain dew and doritos with your cloud gaming sub.

Drama Popcorn GIF

I shouldn’t enjoy this so much but… fuck em! :stuck_out_tongue:

let them fight fighting GIF

I mean, these schmucks did so many anti trust violations, and got away with them due to lobbying and other scummery. They deserve to have everything aired out in the open and suffer!

Especially Apple and that hypocrite Tim Sweeney. Remember how he was standing on a soapbox acting like he was the protector of gamers everywhere?

1 Like