Epic Games not allowing Fortnite on xCloud - #FreeFortnite

I mean for now there is zero proof that Sony will suddenly go to Epic for an hypothetical solution for Cloud ( Epic doesn’t have that ), that is also just speculation, especially in the light of MS and Sony deepening relationships in that regard.

However you are right with Azure, I thought they were already using it, but apparently not right now, but they will be.

Nobody said they were going to EPIC for a cloud streaming solution as some sorta fact…I said Sony invested $450mil and it is interesting that EPIC redacted the real reasons for the xCloud decision, as that suggests they might be doing something to directly compete with xCloud potentially. Or maybe not.

I think most ppl presumed the MS/Sony Azure thing would materialize by now, but it really sounds to me like it isn’t going anywhere yet, and maybe never will.

That is purely speculation there. MS/Sony can go somewhere too, nothing indicates that it will necessarily fail.

It was announced last week that Sony is producing a multiplayer game that will use Azure no?

I mean, EPIC demands to decide the cuts of platforms they don’t own and act as a public hero against megacorps, but they only really want a better cut, that’s it. GeForce Now seems a hit and miss with publishers, I suspect there are some strategic alliances in place over there, because it makes no sense that one loves it and another one hates it.

I also don’t sympathize with Tencent sided companies, meh, good old Tim should remember from where a big cut of his funding (40% if I remember) comes and maybe don’t act as the hero of the society.

Epic has banked so much on Fortnite and vice versa that that money is gonna go away eventually and they simply do not have any other major game(s) they can rely on not now and not even in the future and all their efforts in regards to EGS is not going to last. They’ll be back to only their Unreal engine. This isn’t like Netflix were they pump a lot of money, take the L but build a strong future that’s profitable eventually. It’s nearly impossible for them to survive in that market. And Fortnite is already on the fall and that’s just going to continue with so many other major games coming out in the future. Fortnite isn’t gonna be like COD. It was lightning in a bottle.

And good riddance. The way they tried to exploit little kids in their shady and disgusting practices to extort more money was the final nail in the coffin for me.

1 Like

The moment Epic goes public is the moment Sweeney is made redundant, that’s why he’s against the idea of going public while a lot of the people against him within the company support it.

2 Likes

Not that I know of…?

EPIC isn’t trying to dictate to anyone what their cut should be, they just want to be able to have EGS on iOS so that they can get a piece of that app store pie themselves, which includes being able to then compete with Apple’s rev share offerings. Their agenda is not about rev sharing at all. That is a misread of their legal argument.

Sweeney isn’t trying to ‘at like a hero for society’, he is trying to make his company more $$. And it makes perfect sense for EPIC to like Nvidia’s setup since it lets them bring ppl into EGS whereas xCloud et al do not.

It is funny seeing other ppl in the thread talk as if EPIC would die without Fortnite. As if they weren’t the utterly dominant middleware developer for generations now and their grip is only tightening in that space and expanding into film/TV production. They got stupid lucky with Fortnite (stole game design from PUBG after all), but their bread and butter will always be game engines, regardless of where the cash comes in.

1 Like

I don’t think this related topic deserves it’s own thread but I’ll admit it doesn’t directly fall under this topic.

During the proceedings it was revealed that the PS4 was the biggest platform for Fortnite:

While I’m sure there are a ton of players on PC, I guess I can’t be too surprised at the low cost of entry, being the PS4, being the #1 platform.

IMO this demonstrates why having free online play for FTP titles is important. Sony made a ton of money as a result and it confirms that MS made the right move recently.

With the Series S the cheapest way to get into next gen FN, we’ll see if this changes next gen.

Back to the main topic at hand, isn’t xCloud a competitor to the mobile platforms? You’re going to play Fortnite on the same devices with far better visual fidelity. Especially when the game is on UE5. You’ll get all the convenience of Xbox Live. Full controller support. You’ll be able to play on more devices as well, my old phone struggles with FN. Also, you don’t need massive updates on a weekly basis, taking up valuable storage. If touch controls matter, the mobile app is the better option with its customizability.

If xCloud was an option, Epic is going to lose their mobile advantage in not paying any cuts to device makers, with xCloud users buying all MTX through MS.

So I am guessing that it’s about ensuring they make 100% of all MTX transactions as much as anything else.

4 Likes

Yeah, Jim Ryan was talking about using the cloud for games and all that last week. I mean Microsoft and Sony have signed an agreement for Sony to use Azure and Microsoft to use sensors from Sony, so Sony does have concrete plans to use Azure.

He can make a store through webapps, like anyone else is doing. I agree that Apple is a nasty company, but they can dictate the terms on their own platform. His witch hunt will end up badly for him, he has chosen the wrong enemies.

I didn’t say Epic would crash and burn without Fortnite, I said that only with Unreal royalties they cannot fund a rival store to Steam or anyone else, that’s it, if even bigger companies like EA couldn’t.

You are mistaken, just like most ppl are on this issue. Everyone seemingly thinks the 2019 memo of intent agreement was some sorta inked deal but it never was. In 2019 they agreed to start talking and here in 2021 they are only at the stage of discussing how to start exchanging ideas…

There likely are no Azure/PlayStation plans at all here that involve anything resembling a concrete deal.

Yeah, Tim’s charade is ALL about the bigger cut of MTX, he went mad against Apple and Google because he believes he can win because 20 years ago MS was forced to relent about many things on Windows, but times have changed and this time I doubt he could win. He didn’t even try to make a case against console makers because everyone would have laughed at him, but rest assured he thought about it. XD

2 Likes

Ok, but you are missing the legal argument EPIC is making. Their argument is not that it is somehow unfair for Apple to control its own platform. Their argument is that the app store amounts to its own industry and Apple has no legal right to control that industry. The rev share stuff is entirely irrelevant to their core legal argument, which is that mobile phones are so fundamental to modern living that their sw ecosystem is its own industry that has to abide by federal regulations, including anti-competitive moves by the big players (Apple). Apple being a able to completely neutralize any competing ecosystem from even existing in that space is an anti-competitive move by EPIC’s argument.

Btw, I wasn’t talking about you wrt the Fornite reliance stuff. That is why I said ‘others in the thread’. Tho as I noted, Sony alone has invested enough to entirely cover the EGS losses to date.

Yes but it is more than that. Using xCloud means they can’t steer anyone towards EGS. Their agenda is not just making full cut on MTX’s but doing that from within their own ecosystem/storefront. This distinction is why EPIC never bothered negotiating rev share cut of MTX’s with MS…that isn’t their main target, steering ppl to EGS is and they know that is a proper non-starter for MS.

1 Like

I know his arguments, but it will be very very very hard to prove that on court, expecially using grand scheme of things arguments. The irony is that he has called MS as testifier on his side against Apple (because of the xCloud endeavour denied natively on iOS) and then he himself denied xCloud on his own stuff. To me this is a liiittle hypocritical, lmao. And Apple WILL use that, rest assured of it.

He has simultaneously made his enemies 3 among the wealthiest and most powerful companies in the world, he is surely brave, I’m not sure if he stands a chance. Surely not if he does not live up on his standards for starters. XD

I don’t think it will be hard as you imagine. It isn’t all that vague of a criteria as history provides other industries that grew into existence in similar ways. It will be a complicated case though, so nothing about it is nearly as obvious at this stage as ppl imagine it is. Good news is either way it won’t affect XBL/PSN walled gardens though, which I know most ppl freaked out about when EPIC brought the case.

It isn’t ironic that Fortnite isn’t streaming on xCloud. There are native versions of the game everywhere xCloud presently exists anyhow (though that won’t last too long). That is entirely consistent with the company’s position about how ecosystems should work. The ppl online that think this move is hypocritical are frankly just confused about what EPIC’s legal argument is about.

I have the same understanding. These memorandums are usually signed when you create a shared team (people on both sides) to plan or talk to each other about mid- or long-term stuff, and you need some sort of rules and procedures to make it succeed.

We may never know if these conversation materialize into something, as these are announced separately (if it is good PR or includes a nice business deal (discount) for both sides).

1 Like

MS don’t allow their games on Nvidia Geforce Now either.

Fortnite is not a Nvidia game though.