Elden Ring network test impressions thread

Nice!!! Enjoy bud.

Also, are there bows in the game? Thanks.

@Swanlee

I checked a cave and a open area, I killed them all, but once I went to a Site of Grace and used it, all of them had respawned. So it seems they all do respawn after all.

@peter42O

While none of the classes on offer (warrior, enchanted knight, prophet, champion,bloody wolf) carry a bow, I did find arrows in the wild. So unless these are only to sell which I doubt, I bet there will be bows. I’ll check tomorrow extra carefully once more.

A few more things I forgot to mention the first time.

• The dynamic HUD is great and very nice for OLED, it dissapears by itself and you can make it appear with Y.

• Night time for some reason is extremely bright, I don’t like that, looks off. Tried with HDR10, Dolby Vision and SDR.

• There’s wildlife like small critters that look like squirrels, turtles, sheep, birds.

• Sites of Grace are very close to bosses, which j absolutely find a pro. You don’t have to fight or even avoid any other enemies really to get to the boss, good!

But overall the game doesn’t hold your hand. As soon as you get out of the linear starting area you see a dude on horseback and he’s no joke, Jesus he’s fucking annoying, lol. Also very early on you get a boss fight where two demi god creatures fight you, but they are two and it’s anything but easy. I’m like…ease up, sheesh, haha.

But again, I don’t know if I will get this day one solely for the reason that it seems I lack the patience now for this kind of stuff. Truly hope I will get back into that mood again, because for those looking for challenge…this is it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I can’t imagine there being arrows in the world yet there’s no bows. lol. I’m already planning my build. Magic/ranged with hopefully a bow and upgrading magic and stamina as quickly as possible.

Watching Part 2 of MKIceAndFire’s Elden Ring walkthrough and I can confirm that there are bows in the game. I’m not a souls guy at all but amazingly, since that 20 minute demo, I have looked into Elden Ring more than all of From Software’s previous games combined. lol.

2 Likes

Just had another session and in the previous ones I clearly wasn’t playing the game right. This time I explored all there was to explore, fought every enemy that didn’t seem impossible for me, like that dragon, lmao.

Picked up many runes and actually upgraded myself this time around, basically just playing how a Souls game should be played and it clicked a lot more for me. In the first session I just wanted to see the whole world, so i ignored many enemies until the boss fight.

In the second one yesterday I didn’t play well at all, had a killing headache that sure didn’t help either, but today was great. But before I buy this game I am going to read up and watch videos on how to get better, in this session I was the enchanted knight and I used magic a lot during a easier boss fight and I had a shield that 100% blocks everything.

But I want to get good at actually dodging and rolling through these boss attacks, I’ve always been bad at it. I finally also managed to defeat Margit, I think that’s the name of the boss outside the castle. But I have to admit this was thanks to a summoned knight that helped me out while I attackrd with spear and used the shield a lot.

Seems there’s a whole lot more after the castle, but this was in the last 30 minutes sadly. 4 AM is another session but that’s pretty insane for me, not doing that. But this tech test is goddamn big, really cool.

2 Likes

Were there any story related things in the beta test or was it all pure gameplay?

1 Like

FCIPCx9X0AIAxvO

2 Likes

Hmm, not really. Except for the maiden telling you a few things and some of the NPCs and merchants, not a lot. Wouldn’t surprise me if this too is going to be like Souls games in how they do the story.

Haha :slight_smile:

Yeah, sometimes things take time before they click with you, but in this case it was just me playing that first session all wrong, I should have known better after having finished Dark Souls 1 and 2 and halfway with 3.

But this one session made such a drastic difference that I went from “I might not day one this.” To very likely a day one after all.

Because after the Margit boss fight and I had this really cool castle area to explore I was loving it, I was fully back into that Souls mood again. Had this been the full game I would have been hooked.

Oh yeah, there’s some really impressive fire effects in a dungeon which especially with HDR looks awesome.

2 Likes

Since I was still playing FH5 after 1 AM I figured I might as well just keep on going and play the last session after all. Besides it was my last chance to do some stuff I had left after the big boss, good enough reason.

And nowadays in the world nothing is set in stone, in worst case scenario the game gets pushed again, but I don’t think it will. This was surprisingly polished for a game still a few months away. But I’m pretty sure this is a day one for me now.

As far as I’m concerned From just shows once again that when it comes down to it they are the king of this thing, the Souls-like games, that is.

3 Likes

Are they going to open up registration again by chance?

“Margit the Fell” is apt :rofl:

1 Like

They did not send me a code yet have the audacity to send a email survey asking for feedback LOL

3 Likes