EA Buys Codemasters

Wow. This is…aggressive. 0.0

5 Likes

Crossposting from the Game Pass thread:

Just for fun, those are the games under the Codemastes’ umbrella that could be coming to EA Play (and Game Pass Ultimate!) in 2021:

1. Dirt 3
  2. Dirt 4
  3. Dirt 5
  4. Dirt Rally
  5. Dirt Rally 2.0
  6. Dirt Showdown
  7. F1 2014
  8. F1 2015
  9. F1 2016
  10. F1 2017
  11. F1 2018
  12. F1 2019
  13. F1 2020
  14. Grid
  15. Grid 2
  16. Grid Autosport
  17. Grid (2019)
  18. Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
  19. Operation Flashpoint: Red River
  20. Overlord: Fellowship of Evil
  21. Sensible World of Soccer
  22. Toybox Turbos

Dirt, Dirt 2, F1 2010, F1 2011, F1 2012, F1 2013, F1 Race Stars are not backwards compatible.

Project Cars, Project Cars 2 and Project Cars 3 were developed by Slightly Mad Studios, now owned by Codemasters, but were published by other companies, so I’m not sure how those games will be handled.

There is a real possibility that Game Pass Ultimate will include the biggest racing franchises in a single place: Forza, Need for Speed, Dirt, Grid, F1 and Project Cars.

8 Likes

Didn’t even consider the GPU angle here. Good point!

More games for me! EA is a good fit for Codemasters too I feel.

Don’t forget Burnout!

1 Like

Well I’ll hope for the best. Codemasters have been one of my favorite devs for 25 + years. Good thing I guess the games will end up on Gamepass. I hope EA let’s them continue with Dirt and Dirt Rally and they dont kill the studio.

damn. If we’re getting all this for GamePass then what the hell are we gonna get for Gold now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I feel like that price is overvalued

They are worth whatever someone is willing to play them. Plus they are one of the last big independent racing game studios/pubs with a lot of valuable IP

Just commenting on the current inflation we are seeing. As an example, Slightly Mad was purchased by Codemasters a year ago for 30 million.

(Also think bethesda was a bit too high as well. That however was a more diversified purchase and made with relative pocket change)

I love me some overlord and flashpoint but they arent worth all that much. F1 is a license.

This should be beneficial to their racing games. I have always thought they needed a bit more budget so hopefully EA gives it to them.

F1 is a valuable license, and I can see EA turning it into a heavy eSports category under the EA Sports banner. Codemasters also has the WRC license from 2023 onwards.

Slightly Mad Studios consisted of only ~130 employees, a single IP in Project Cars and financial problems. Codemasters is closer to 1000 employees, was self-publishing their titles, has lots of fan-favorite IPs and just recently went public.

It might have been an expensive acquisition, but both 2K and EA, two of the biggest companies in the industry, thought it was worth the money

Looking forward to playing their games on EA Play via Game Pass

I like the idea that the CodeMasters games will become part of EA Play/Game Pass… but for the couple of EA apologists here, there’s still a lot of concern I have about their management/development decisions over the past decade. Though to be fair, EA Originals spawned similar endeavors from other publishers, and the output of EAO has been stellar IMO.

I saw a statement that implies CM will be using frostbite going forward, but I hope I’m wrong about that; the engine is great for a few game styles, but it’s nowhere near as ubiquitous as Unity or UE.

What this definitely means is that the industry, in general, is firing on all cylinders with acquisitions and it’s clear Microsoft fired the first major shot with Zenimax. Given the recent statements from execs at Xbox, I bet we’ll be seeing several over the next few years.

Lol Microsoft really kicked these acquisitions off didn’t they, these gaming companies are realising content is king and you need as many studios and IP as possible. They are starting to see subscription has end game and for a subscription to work, like I said previously you need constant content.

I think what EA is doing with putting EA play into game pass is letting people dip their toes into old EA titles in hope they subscribe to the most likely incoming origin plus or w/e it’s called on pc, as the premium subscription.

Is Codemasters going to bring back Burnout now that they’ll have access to the license by being owned by EA?

Someone needs to… and I mean the classic Burnout, not the Paradise crap. Sorry, I love the likes of Horizon but I feel like Burnout lost a lot in the open-world switch.

I don’t think EA is pushing Frostbite as hard as before since they let Respawn use Unreal Engine for Star Wars Jedi. Plus, Codemasters has their own EGO Engine that has been perfected since 2007 and is used across every F1, Dirt and Grid game ever since. And since it is also a proprietary engine, no royalties would have to be paid to Epic – just like with Frosbite.

1 Like

Apologies, I didn’t mean to imply that UE was even on the table. I have really appreciated the strides the EGO engine has made over the last decade, so I hope that this is the case. I just know that EA’s requirement in the early parts of last gen, and the heavy insistence still, hasn’t always been in the best interests of the devs. The recent statement by one of the execs seemed to imply that it still would be, and it would be a mistake to do so.

1 Like

I’ve been learning to have a bit of faith on EA lately. They were really atrocious during a long time, but they seem to have realized the damage that was being done to the brand, with the last drop being the whole loot box fiasco with Battlefront II.

Since then they started offering free DLC for Battlefront and Battleifeld, as well as free updates for Need for Speed. They stopped milking the NBA Live franchise to build it again from scratch (it has skipped two years already!). They let Bioware take their time with Anthem (friendly reminder: they were not forced to use Frosbite), and ever since EA is letting them revamp the whole game at their time. They let Respawn do a single-player only game. They came up with the EA Originals program with some great games like Fe, Sea of Solitude and Unravel.

Of course they are still a company with the sole purpose of making a lot of money. They continue to put a lot of focus on Ultimate Team. But yeah, I just ignore those game modes while enjoying the rest of the game.

TL;DR: I have high hopes that Codemasters will be allowed to keep using the EGO Engine :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’m with you on that one! My favorites are Burnout 3 and Burnout Revenge.