Don Mattrick, Xbox 2013 should be a case study in Havard Business School

lol

I know, but ya said ya were worried about losing ownership of something ya don’t actually own. :slight_smile:

Let’s not get into semantics, ok? You know exactly what I’m talking about when I mention playing the games we own.

1 Like

To this day, I believe that if they had done the things gradually and not try to push it down people’s throats with business talk that made no sense to people, the direction wouldn’t have been bad. Kinect was a fun peripheral that sold by the buckets in the X360 era, not killing it completely was a good idea, bundling it as a mandatory device was not. In turn, the launch price was simply too high, even I didn’t get it day 1 at the time (I pre-ordered One X and Series X at the same 499 price, but those have much higher value proposition to me frankly). The move towards a media device, not just gaming? By now all consoles (well, aside from Switch) have like 20 different streaming, cable, etc. apps. The game sharing? People do it. The move towards digital? It’s happening, hell there’s two SKUs out of 4 coming without a disc drive. The disc-to-digital trade-in? It’s something people want to have, and Microsoft is said to be working on it. Online checks? Who, today, is unable to connect to his phone or something once a day?

But you know, the launch titles looked good, but it lacked a bit of punch. The price was too high due to the mandatory Kinect, which in turn gave us a laggy and uncomfortable UI. The whole digital DRM stuff sounded nightmare-ish in 2013, and the fact they FORCED it instead of allowing folks options just killed the deal, and to this day Microsoft suffers the consequences from that launch.

1 Like