Does Series S need a permanent price cut?

Well i didnt specifically say it was 299$ in India, in comparison PS5 DE is much better value, I was just honing the fact that with gamepass the price is easier to swallow, for me in Malaysia, the series s is 385$ whereas the series x is 530$ (both sold out at that price), I still see alot adopting series s here even though there is no native gamepass support here (have to access other region).

Series S 299$ price is perfect for US and 249 pounds is perfect for UK but I agree the prices should somewhat be adjusted for other countries if they want to compete

1 Like

I assume youā€™re talking about this Fall? I personally think the $100 difference between the PS5 Digital and XSS would take eyes off the Series S, but I have little factual evidence for this. If XSS units are still indeed on shelves (from what I hear in some markets) I think something done to make it more appealing makes sense. But this doesnā€™t necessarily have to mean a price drop.

When you do the math for All Access to purchase a Series S, youā€™re essentially paying $249 for the unit and regular price for 2 years of Gamepass. So they seem to be fine with taking that sort of loss if people get GP.

I think they should instead look at packing 6 months of Gamepass Ultimate with a $299 console.

For a lot of PS5/Switch owners looking at getting a second console, this might be a bit more appealing than a $249 machine, especially if the $1 for 3 months offer is no longer available.

$249 would definitely be a great price for parents looking for a cheap Roblox/Fortnite machine. It would steal potential PS4 and maybe Switch purchases, which is perfectly fineā€¦ MS needs the Series consoles sales to look good in general so publishers take it more seriously.

With scarcity still being an issue for the PS5 and XSX this coming Christmas, weā€™ll have to see if the XSS also sells out at $299. But if stock is building up in shelves from this summer onwards, and if the PS4 itā€™s at a mass market price for parents on a budget, I think some sort of adjustment makes sense.

Far too early for that. I think the price is more than reasonable as well.

There are plenty to satisfy demand, even here in Canada if I want one I can easily get one online or even used; someone had 1 listed in my area used for 100$ under MSRP (after taxes) for 2 days before it sold. And if you go to Amazon of pretty much any European or Asian country itā€™s ready to ship right away.

Iā€™m really hoping that their strategy of appealing to long term casual players is gonna work for them when it comes to Series S; as of right now PS5 has outsold them 2:1 and even though I know Xbox will never outsell it MS canā€™t be happy with this type of representation early on everywhere online and in the press, and those PS5 are full priced consoles and there seems to be no end in sight for meeting demand. I know itā€™s an enthusiast market right now but what size is that market, is it 20-30 million, is it more? The stronger the foothold early on the easiest it is to attract 3rd parties which is why I donā€™t think the long term casual play is necessarily the smartest thing. Having the Series S out early is smart as devs get used to it, but an aggressive push at a loss will also be beneficial long term and could sell even more Gold/Gamepass subscriptions.

1 Like

I donā€™t think the price is the problem in Europeā€¦ The Series S has been readily available in my country since day 1 whilst the Series X is as hard to find as the PS5.

Thing is, no one really is interested in it.

Plenty are interested but they arenā€™t people buying a console at the start of a summer when lockdowns might be easing. The Series S is the highest selling console in India 2 months in a row.

Iā€™d also be careful looking at stock availability and correlating it to lack of interest - we donā€™t know whether many more Series S consoles are being produced which of course would paint a different story.

The numbers are effectively how many you made. I donā€™t believe they are sell through and they are merely projections. We know how many PS5ā€™s Sony have put into retail channels and its just the assumption theyā€™ve all sold. But Xbox have made fewer consoles. I think Xbox pretty much went into this generation with the expectation that they could maintain a 2:1 console ratio and thatā€™s how it looks. Its a win for Xbox especially if the market expands even slightly.

The situation has been the same since November, so I doubt the summer is affecting anything. Iā€™m talking about Europe, and my country specifically, not India.

The lack of interest I base on the availability, the fact no one talks about it, I donā€™t know anyone who bought one and that MS has started some small online ad-campaigns for it.

Why would a casual gamer upgrade to a new console when all of the games are atill cross gen? I doubt they are going to upgrade for quality of life improvements like we would.

Depends on what is being revised. Currently, RAM is the most expensive component or at least close to it which is why the jump from Xbox One X having 12GB of RAM to 16GB of RAM for Series X is small. Itā€™s too damn expensive. But once they get down to 5nm or even 6nm, it should lower the cost. Granted, those savings may not be passed on to us but when thereā€™s a slim model because there always is, thatā€™s when it would get a price cut for consumers.

Sure but we will see variations. In the UK itā€™s only the last few weeks the S has been more readily available. Go back a few months and it was selling way above RRP on eBay etc. Which surprised me. The demand measurement is more complex than we can really determine just with availability data points.

1 Like

It is selling out in all countries. Some countries do take a little longer. But the bigger demand right now is for Xbox Series X.

Once they are in stock, probably by the Holidays, itā€™ll probably get a price cut to pull people over the line. Give it some time, the thing isnā€™t even out a year lol :P.

That is not true. Since November I have been able to just buy a Series S whenever I wanted.

Going to a lower node wonā€™t translate to savings if the node is more expensive, which i believe is what they alluded to. It might allow them to save money on cooling and stuff like that though.

I think the major area for cost reduction is going to be the SSD. Though they may choose to use reductions there to increase storage capacity.

2 Likes

So basically slight savings for them but not for consumers. Like I said, I think Fall 2023 is the earliest for any price drop and even then, who knows.

posters on this forum are so out of touch with reality, itā€™s crazy.

But it is true.

Okā€¦ My country doesnā€™t count or what are you saying? Iā€™m lying?

This is how itā€™s looked since Nov:

https://imgur.com/yTN6kjj

(UtsƄld=sold out)

1 Like

Ya wonā€™t likely see any price cuts at all this cycle. The silicon is just not gonna get cheap enough to slash prices notably for the consumer imho. This is why the XSS exists in the first place btw. Also, worth noting that Game Pass is an element of the platform that makes the value prop associated with Xbox incredibly compelling. Further, All Access will be a huge deal (I suspect) once consoles are readily available.

So, nah, doesnā€™t need one and wonā€™t get one probably the entire cycle.

1 Like