Documentaries about Videogames |OT|

I would like to use this thread to post documentaries which I watched in the past couple weeks.

First I would like to start with Dartigan who finds sins in Videogames in a very funny way.

A really interesting video about one of my favorite franchises from Rockstar Games. I hope there will be a new Midnight Club in the next following years, maybe after GTA VI.

https://youtu.be/1dvXOfMxg6Q

Also a very good video about the Splinter Cell Franchise.

A video about the developers made the Miami level from the latest Hitman installment.

So, what documentaries do you recommend?

10 Likes

Nice OT!

I’d like to recommend everythig NoClip makes. I love watching their documentaries.

Oh, and for people who want to know more about Compulsion Games:

10 Likes

This is an excellent documentary that outlines how PS was handled it’s more SCEE focused Its pretty good from what i watched

3 Likes

Lovely thread I will bookmark it right now. Excellent initiative. It is always cool to see behind the scenes of how games are made.

Watch this one it was excellent, watched it all and you see how Obsidian managed to create a great new IP

"Follow Obsidian Entertainment’s journey as they develop Pillars of Eternity, the fan-funded hit that helped propel the company out of dire straits.

Watch as developers such as Josh Sawyer (Game Director), Adam Brennecke (Executive Producer and Lead Programmer), and Feargus Urquhart (CEO) pull back the curtain on the Pillars of Eternity development and show you the highs and lows of creating a highly anticipated game."

5 Likes

Killer Instinct documentary by Hold Back to Block has to be my favourite :joystick:

5 Likes

Yeah, this one is great!

1 Like

Noclip and Hold Back to Block do great work. I’d also recommend People Make Games:

& Gamer Makers Toolkit:

5 Likes

Absolutely worth a watch I really liked this one, go watch his channel there are ton of it really good vids.

3 Likes

Really interesting one, if not one of the most interesting I watched

3 Likes

Double Fine Adventure is great. It’s LONG. Like 30 hours or something, but it is at least as entertaining as Broken Age and is an excellent insight into what happens when plans to make a small adventure game get swamped by cash and attention and everything starts breaking very publically. And it doesn’t shy away from difficult areas either - it’s pretty clear that Tim Schaeffer gets totally overwhelmed and unfocused at places, and various parts of the project really fall apart. I always liked DF but after watching this HUGELY entertaining and often uncomfortable doc I really love and respect them.

http://adventure.doublefine.com/

4 Likes

GDC’s YouTube channel is well worth a follow. Not strictly documentaries but the developer talks are along the same lines.

2 Likes

Oh this is great. Bookmarked!

1 Like

If like me you are not a big RPG fan, this video from Noclip talking about the history of Bethesda is well worth a look. I might actually give Fallout 3 a go!

With hindsight this video almost looks like Bethesda chronicling their pre MS activity for the games history books. It also shows how MS shaped their company by encouraging Morrowind onto the OG Xbox.

10 Likes

Love this thread! I saw a good doc. awhile ago called Second Skin. It was about the life in MMO gamers. Right at the peak of WOW. Group of people waiting for the expansion release, then racing to max out your lvl for 48 hrs lol! Its a good one and a look back goe gaming was in 2008.

Second Skin

1 Like

Also the Arkane documentary is great.

7 Likes

I’d also recommend Ahoy and Gvmers channels

3 Likes

Absolutely everyone with even a remote interest in the history of gaming needs to watch High Score on Netflix. Incredible.

4 Likes

I’m looking for new good video game documentaries on Youtube. Let me see if revive this topic will help me.

This one about GTA from Nick390 is really good

3 Likes

FunFact: Rockstar approached Microsoft about having GTA3 exclusive to Xbox but got turned away.

2 Likes