Do you think rear buttons should have been made standard in this new generation?

100% yes

I honestly assumed after the success of both the Elite controller and the DS4 backpaddles, they would be

2 Likes

I presume its a cost element involved. Probably costs more to produce so they wouldnā€™t want to push the cost up of the controller bundled in with the consoles. If they had it as an option in the design labs that would be awesome, but unfortunately it is not.

I had a terrible experience with the first series of elite controller. Shoulder button pops, grips coming off, stick drift. And I always look after my gear like its my baby. So investing Ā£160 into the second series was a big no no for me

1 Like

Absolutely yes. Ever since I bought my Elite, Iā€™ve never been able to go back. Itā€™s a genuine game-changer, for me. Simply having the ability to map the 4 face buttons onto the back paddles & completely free up my right thumb for camera control changed how I play games forever.

Rear buttons/back paddles wouldā€™ve been a better, more useful upgrade than anything else included with the Dualsense controller.

1 Like

In a way it would defeat the intended purpose of them ā€“ you are supposed to map essential functions to them so you donā€™t have to take your thumb off the right stick. If you make them standard controller buttons, then developers will use all eight and the user still ends up taking their thumbs off the right analogue.

I guess they could have them set up as mirror A,B,X Y buttons, but this adds expense to the controller for a function I would guess most would not use. Perhaps itā€™s better it remains an ā€˜Eliteā€™ option.

The one thing I was really disappointed Xbox didnā€™t include this time around is gyro. In combination with the right stick, it really is a superior method of look/turn control.

The reason a mouse is superior is that you can make very big fast movements and very minute slow movements equally well. A stick on its own can never do that. You make it sensitive you can turn quickly. You make it dull you can control fine aiming better. You need both.

In Doom on the Switch I set the stick to super sensitive so I could turn on a pin and snap to the rough area an enemy was, and then zeroed in with just a subtle tilt on the controller with the gyro. It was the closest to mouse-like control Iā€™ve experienced on console.

Itā€™s cheap tech and there is a real non-gimmicky function for it now. Donā€™t understand why MS ignored it again.

1 Like

Yeah this is the most likely reason they avoid doing it. I know valve had to pay them for a patent infringement for the same issue