Digital foundry XsX + PS5 Unboxing and impressions

Good point. Surprises could also be “simple” things like that, not necessarily something that will instantly be a negative for the other platform. If PS5 does have something similar to QR that would only be a great thing and not take away from Xbox or anything, not for me at least. But also SSD between the two systems not being all that different after all would be a surprise too but that is what I’d consider platform comparing. Hmmm.

2 Likes

It would be surprising if the PS5 had better visuals then XSX, Even with the more mature SDK on the PS5.

But, I don’t know the PS5 so far is performing like a 10tflop machine, spiderman at 4k 30fps with Raytraced reflections is in 2060super territory and gears 5 at ultra settings(and higher) 4k 60fps is 2080 territory. Im really curious how AC: Valhalla performs because 10tflop RDNA cant do 4k 60fps on odyssey.

My thinking is : it’s not about performance or games, so it’s probably some small feature linked to the UI or SSD. So not console wars stuff, although everything is right now !

I don’t know about secret whatevers, but if these guys are excited about the Dualsense like some of the comments suggest, that makes me want to try it more.

Some of the things Richard said did sound cool like actually feeling raindrops and the part about mud I believe. But at the same time I’m like…Wii and Wii U had similar things like this, move the Wiimote around and slash enemies in Zelda, I wasn’t a fan. Or blow on the 3DS I believe for some games…not for me.

1 Like

Dual Sense will end up like HD rumble, something talked about for a few months after launch after which nobody will care about or use.

1 Like

Indeed its happened many times before, but unless its something like the switch or DS, in sony + Microsoft consoles gameplay, visuals, world interactivity, story etc are the meat and potatoes of the experience, controller features always never really matter.

I think rich has a bit of hyperbole here. ready player one haptics would be a game controller revolution, improved switch HD rumble is great but its still very much in evolution terrority.

4 Likes

This also reminds me of the touch screen/pad on the PS4 controller. The times I played some games at my brother’s place it was kinda cool but how much did that feature ended up being used?

2 Likes

The sensors do sound awesome. Hope before the generation ends we get a controller merging the elite features with all the sensors on the dual sense.

And of course, games that use them :wink:

2 Likes

I mean that’s an impossibility if developers are utilizing the full hardware and software efficiencies of the Series X. If John made those claims, he doesn’t have the best objectivity record. But we’re not just talking about a .5 TFLOPs difference like we were with the last gen; at its best performance either the CPU will be ~300 mhz slower per core, more than 2 TFLOPs weaker (and without some of the RDNA2 hardware set, extra silicon as describe in Hot Chips), and a pretty mammoth memory bandwidth difference for a decent chunk of that memory pool. Add in raytracing, the ironically more powerful audio block on Series S and X, and everything else; assuming devs utilize that, it’s not something just software can overcome (especially since the software “magic” Xbox is utilizing hasn’t been mentioned.

Of course, in practice, I think those boost numbers are going to bite the PS5 in the ass a bit since both CPU and GPU won’t be able to be boosted simultaneously. Look at Valhalla as an example. I couldn’t give a shit about the controller gimmicks that will end up just like the last two generations of Sony consoles, where only first-party titles use them in the most trite of ways.

3 Likes

I don’t doubt that it’s cool, effective and useful. I hope it is as great as they say it is. I’m glad they were able to pull it off effectively. Time will tell but I’m not throwing any shade. Good on Sony for nailing it.

2 Likes

Games that use all of that is a key element to all of this.

1 Like

I’ve gotta say, I’m developing a more positive outlook on the Dual Sense after this video. I’m excited to try it out at some point.

1 Like

The big thing to take into account though is Sony released dev kits sooner and reused their GDK/SDK. MS didn’t and shipped these out before a major pandemic hit. I could conceivably see the PS5 with a minor launch advantage. 1-2 years max after though, Xbox will gain the lead (if it doesn’t already have it). End of gen? Barring a refresh, they totally have it.

The context is key. They have said something similar when it comes to load times and level transition hiccups. Which is expected because of the SSD alone.

They didn’t mean it will out perform in resolution or frame rates.

1 Like

What you see in sackboy wasn’t the dashboard UI. It was an overlay of the game. The game was already in running behind. Having save state and that too of multiple games is the key for quick resume.

1 Like

https://www.dualshockers.com/assassins-creed-valhalla-ps5-xbox-4k-60fps/amp/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

“I can confirm that Assassin’s Creed Valhalla runs at 4K at 60 fps on PS5 (upscaled 4K),”

3 Likes

It makes sense an rtx 2080 even has trouble doing ac: odyssey at a locked 4k60 at max settings.

I guess there will be a catch for series X version as well.

It might be the PS5 is 1800p and the seriesX is 2016p

1 Like