Digital Foundry: Xbox Series X - Auto HDR Mode Tested

3 Likes

Really great feature, looking forward to it on games like Kingdom come deliverance which looks great but did not have HDR due to cryengine limitations

1 Like

I wonder if devs can get rid of HDR in their games as authored and replace it using ML to save on I/O…? I think the added data from HDR implementation can cause next gen textures to be a lot bigger files, but might be totally wrong about that.

I hope they add a option to toggle this mode on a per game basis. Oh and tune the AI model to ignore HUD elements for all OLED owners.

1 Like

Like BC on Xbox One, I think this will get alot better as the years go by.

3 Likes

This is such an amazing feature to have. Games like batman just looks that much better with it O.o

I’m at work, so I can’t watch this on an HDR TV yet, but it sounds like you guys are happy with it?

Great video by Digital Foundry as always.

Great video and I can’t wait to play with this feature myself. I was a bit surprised he would mention intro screens being super bright in HDR when I’ve seen the same thing with native HDR games.

1 Like

I have too, I was a bit confused by that point, especially given the sensible nature of the rest of the analysis; I understand mentioning it for HUD elements as that could be distracting, but anyone who’s played anything with a bright intro already knows it’s an “issue” with current non-ML implementations (Destiny says hello).

1 Like

Biggest issue seems to be the UI getting super overbright in some games. And of course some games where it doesn’t work properly, but those seems to be a minority.

Though, being machine learning based I assume overtime Ms can improve which is why they are likely enabling for all and just disabling on their side the ones that don’t work.

1 Like