Diablo III Resolution on Series X|S to be set at 4k/1080p in Tuesday's Season 26 Patch

For SX I remember there was a bug, it was a game (perhaps the only one?) where SX would run the one profile, and not the 1x one.

But then SS would have been 1080p already.

But searching back at the issue, it seems that it was indeed 1080p on both SS and SX, but it was reported incorrectly as 900p by some outlets because they assumed that was the xbone resolution. So I guess Blizzard is just making it clear that even SS is running now at 1080p.

But still weird that they had to make the game SX/SS aware in order to fix it, instead of just running 1x/one S profiles through BC

Edit: Checked out and itā€™s not gen9 aware, so the patch must have just solved the issue that prevented the 1x profile to be selected.

2 Likes

Yep, the official response from Ms was that there was a bug in the game and due to that SX would run the 1s profile. Blizzard said it was a platform bug on the Ms side, but it seems it was indeed on theirs since this patch fixed it.

Ahhh OK that makes more sense. Thanks for the additional info!

1 Like

900p was indeed the original resolution the game was supposed to launch at/launched at I believe (Day 1 patch happened or something like that for 1080p), same with other games like the original Destiny if you remember as it was like that during its beta (900p). But then that was early in the Xbox Oneā€™s lifecycle and it all happened when MS ditched Kinect from the consoleā€™s packaging and also dropped the requirement for it on the console, freeing up ressources and I remember MS then working with devs to make sure some games were able to hit 1080p just like on PS4, and Iā€™m pretty certain Diablo 3 was one of those games.

So while the initial intent a long time ago was indeed 900p (explaining the confusion maybe), the game has been 1080p even on the original Xbox One since like forever so itā€™s weird that theyā€™d need to mention it or that some outlets would have that information wrong. Wonder if they could have created a 1440p profile for Series S though?

4 Likes

Great info, love the Avtar btw. Jet Set Radio was awesome.

Problem with such and old title is that there are likely loads of bugfixes in the OS and SDK of xbox that happened since then, and to explicitly support SX it would require compiling the game under a new SDK and that can cause issues (wouldnā€™t doubt that being the reason this bug appeared for example, because thatā€™s basically the only launch window game that got updated with 1x support).

1 Like