DF review - Gears 5 on Xbox series X

You’re so right, especially when considering that they went above and beyond for this free upgrade.

It really hinges on how well Unreal Engine 5 supports DX12U. I’m hoping MS engineers get in there and do everything they can to leverage DX12U for UE5, for the sake of hundreds of games that will surely use UE5 in the next generation.

Not being native 4k is a really bad sign . I thought that this would be easy for the XSX, regardless of the rest of the improvements. Starting to feel uncomfortable with every piece of real gaming that I see on the XSX

You know that PC struggles to run this game at 4K/60fps, right?

I think the issue is, everyone has super unrealistic expectations.

Maybe due to all the console warring from both sides, or only reading headlines.

Who knows.

1 Like

I have to admit that I thought Gears 5 was absolutely going to be a native 4K at locked 60fps, even with those enhancements added. Resolution wise One X isn’t even that far off from XSX, which sounds kinda odd. But again, those visual enhancements likely are the cause of that.

And what TheRayTracer said, I wasn’t aware of that at all. So that explains a lot. I’m not worried at all and if many games end up not reaching native 4K and make use of upscaling tech, so that graphical fidelity can be improved and maybe even 60fps…yes please!

2 Likes

Oh I can’t bloody wait!

Even a Titan RTX is just capable of beating 60fps at native 4K - at best.

Bear in mind that the XSX version is running beyond current Ultra settings on PC:

Anyone disappointed by that perhaps needs to reset expectations - for both consoles and even perhaps PC, where the majority of games aren’t played in 4K according to the Steam hardware charts.

4 Likes

Considering how much more powerful the XSX is compared to the Xbox one x I don’t think that it is unrealistic to expect an updated Xbox one x game to have many graphical enhancements AND 4k/60 fps. This isn’t an enhanced BC title, MS is pushing this as a hugely updated game, even putting it in the XSX official launch line up. We are talking about a console with a jaguar cpu and a 6TF GPU versus a console with a zen2 and a 12.2 RDNA2 GPU. Sorry for expecting better.

I’m not too familiar anymore with PC but I assume the Titan is the best you can get now?

And it seems Gears 5 isn’t necessarily a indication that we won’t see many native 4K games then, if it’s on PC like that.

The best right now is probably the Nvdia RX3090 or Radeon RX 6900 XT - but the cheapest of those is more than x2 the cost of a XSX - just for the card.

EDIT - actually, here ya go, a Radeon RX 6800 (which costs around $579) can run Gears 5 at 4K at over 70fps:

$579 for the card compared to $499 for a XSX.

2 Likes

That’s what is so good about console gaming, price to performance. I’m paying $749AUD for the Series X. A decent upgrade for my PC would involve new CPU, Motherboard, SSD, PSU, RAM and GPU. Probably closer to $2k for a worthwhile upgrade.

I don’t think they pushed it as a heavily updated title in terms of engine code. They’re pushing it as an updated title in terms of features which have already existed in the PC version they’re pushing them to their max values, and in quality of assets.

You would need a rewrite of a lot of Unreal Engine to take advantage of all of the next generation features that help push resolution and frame rate. For example one of the areas in where you could push frame rate is with mesh shaders and advanced culling of non-viewable polygons. I don’t think Unreal Engine 4 supports that yet.

You would need an engine rewrite to take advantage of Velocity Architecture features as well.

This is pretty impressive that they’re able to hit 4K a lot of the time at 60 frames per second through just raw horsepower and no engine optimizations. It’s also impressive that VRS is applied without even getting into the game code that much. That’s pretty much means any third-party game will run better on the XSX than on hardware that doesn’t have it, with one line of code.

1 Like

Looks great. Slightly under 1800p but has a shit ton of effects all at 60FPS with HDR. I already played and completed the campaign back when the game released so I won’t replay it but I am very much looking forward to the story expansion in December and can’t fucking wait to see what gears 6 looks like in a few years

SX looked consistently sharper than X across the entire video on DF.

But yeah, I think the X version being so good, even stacked up against the Pc version maxed out kinda reduces the impact (even though pushing the settings higher requires a substantial amount of performance)

1 Like

Yes, but in some parts where they showed the ground with debris and things like that was significantly better on XSX. And like you said it was consistently sharper all around.

I will go for a second pt. Probably Co op this time.

A question to the guys that know their stuff on the tech side of things far better than me:

Is the pixel counting of a particles effect a good indication of the game’s resolution? aren’t particles/alphas almost always lower resolution than the geometry resolution?

Also Linneman still can’t say that Gears 5 is one of the best looking games of the gen in general and not only on Xbox…I dunno I found that kinda funny, I guess he is not that impressed with Gears 5 even after the SX update.

1 Like

Well said. It could be the case.

Even more, VRS could potentially results in bad counting of pixels.

DF will be having a ton of problem with this.

2 Likes

Yeah. Overall it’s pushing a game that has already insane fidelity even higher.

And doing so at around a 2080ti performance level which for some reason is being turned as a negative XD

Yeah I found that odd too. Particles are often lower res than buffer and with VRS who knows how reliable they even are, because high speed objects are a good candidate for the reduced shading rate to not be noticeable.

But not surprised all the enhacements were somewhat downplayed given who was running the video to be honest.

2 Likes

Linneman dislikes xbox, so of course he’ll downplay it. Alex or Richard would have been better suited.

1 Like