Dev mode on Xbox Series X|S?

As the launch of Series X|S is approaching, it has got me interested in ditching my gaming PC. However one thing that hasn’t been clear to me is will the ability to make indie Apps/Games in UWP will be present this gen and if so when and will it be less limited? I want to port Bochs and/or Qemu over cause as I said I would want to be able to use my Xbox as a Gaming PC aswell. Now I know on the Xbox One family of consoles they limited the amount of RAM and cores you could use and the Microsoft Store doesn’t publish Apps with a JIT Compiler but I don’t think it will stop you from sideloading.

Every Xbox One is a devkit. I expect no different here. Not sure about sideloading in any meaningful capacity though.

1 Like

I hope they keep it. The prospect of retroarch running on a console Zen 2 powered is very enticing :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes, I too am interested in dev mode for perfectly legitimate reasons.

1 Like

According to Microsoft the Series X|S consoles will also be able to use Dev Mode once they launch:

“When the new Xbox family of consoles are available in retail, app partners can rely on Dev Mode Activation App to convert those consoles into a development kit.”

2 Likes

Very cool, thanks for the link. It would be great if you could access developer mode without having to reboot but I hardly ever use it anyway. I just like to run stuff on other stuff even if it’s stupid (once read a whole book in .txt format on a DS Lite)

1 Like

Question is how long will it be before Microsoft gives people dev access in the cloud? I feel like that’s not too far away once the Series X APUs are stocked up in Azure.

1 Like

I was surprised to find out that my Creator’s Collection game was also listed as an Xbox Series X|S title, without me having to do any extra work on it.

That link above was shared with me and it’s great news.

It does sound like they will not be any performance gains on the new platforms, which makes sense when you factor in what UWP is all about. I also see a practical business reason in having these homebrew games not as performant as any third-party title. But it would be nice to see the goal posts moved a little bit more so that games could at least reach the fidelity of an Xbox 360 game.

Technically they could be X1 servers since you don’t need the latest and greatest HW for UWP. That would be awesome, but you would need a lot of upload speed to get your packages sent to it.

1 Like

Congrats on publishing a game! Finishing one has long been a goal of mine :slight_smile:

Cool news that they automatically move forward. I’m a little curious about the lack of performance gains, I agree that it would be nice to see the bar notch upward even if it continues to be a subset of available hardware resources.

1 Like