Destiny 2 - Xbox Series X upgrade

In fairness its a case of choose your poison. LCD’s have motion blur caused by slower pixel response times and other numerous issues trying to provide something similar to the individual pixel control from a contrast perspective. Alas all of which on the other side of the fence with emissive tech comes image retention awareness and a “care” philosophy requirement.

Plus we factor in the vrr and 2.1 problems yet to be fully refined and I dont believe there is a perfect panel out there. Pants I know, but it is as it is as they say.

Anyway, do we know if Destiny 2 has anymore ui options? I know when I last played a year or two back it did at least have opacity…

You are not very clued up on this. OLED like plasma is emissive tech, you can’t have emissive displays without potential burn in issues. But the mechanism for OLED burn in is well understood now and relatively easy to avoid and each year the conditions for burn in become harder and harder to accidentally stumble across. On an OLED set from 19/20 you need thousands of hours of bright fully saturated red, yellow or orange fixed pixels that aren’t detected by the TVs dimming algorithm to burn in. The algorithm will detect static elements like UIs and dim them to prevent burn in. The things it misses are where there are static banners with scrolling text or lots of frequent changes and these are the big risks. So a UI where the fully saturated elements have numbers or text that frequently change or the biggest culprit the rolling news banners on news channels. Even then it’s thousands of hours cumulatively. Which is why the people who watch news all day long or leave their sets on the news channels are the ones who almost always have the burn in.

2 Likes

Sounds EXACTLY like what I said - you just used more details

What you describe makes oled pretty much unusable for a family - you cant set rules and restrictions to not watch content with moving banners etc

This tech is clearly not finishied enough for mainstream users - the algorithms should handle 100% of all burn in problems. Not 99% or even 99.9%

Nah. Emissive screens will always have the risk of potential burn in one way or another.

But it’s like LCD you have the dirty screen effect - I’ve never seen one without it entirely. And that tech is very old yet still LCD/LED screens all have defects.

You are living with whatever compromise you choose. Inferior tech that isn’t up to producing a high quality set and has always screen defects. Or a risk of burn in if you don’t pay attention to the risks and watch the same fixed content for thousands of hours.

End of the day I’d rather cut out rolling news channels and have a set capable of displaying content beautifully than buy a technically far inferior set just so I can leave it on 24 hour news all day.

Zero problems with my C8 so far after what has to be a couple thousand hours of use. But I don’t watch any news on it.

Anyway I shouldn’t have deleted Destiny 2 again since now I’m going to have download the huge game again to check this out. Keep telling myself I’ll get into this but I never do but I’m curious to see the updates.

If you would be so kind, could you let me know about the ui options? I just know Destiny 2 has claimed a few OLED panels with hardcore players. Especially around higher level characters and some super bar which I believe is in orange.

Thanks.

The LG 6-Series OLED was like the initial set of Plasma TVs where you had to be extremely careful with how and what you watched. The LG X-Series OLED is like the last set of Plasma TVs where you don’t need to be concerned with how and what you watched.

There are two or three levels of major engineering differences between the 2016 6-series and the 2019 9-series which should all but eliminate burn-in concern, not to mention any improvements in the 2020 X-Series and upcoming 2021 1-Series…

Newer models have better life improvements from AVS Thread @ https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2804065-master-oled-image-retention-burn-thread-photos-149.html#post59823330

1 Like

Thanks and useful. Still best to be careful imo. I burnt in a 2017 LG OLED in under 800 hrs so that already challenges the 3000hr statistic. So yeah part of my care philosophy is based on my own experience.

I’m currently running a Philips OLED which uses an LG 2019 panel and whilst no issues, I’m still careful around HUDS. Particularly if its a game you expect to be pumping 100’s of hours into. But I do take onboard your points and appreciate your post nonetheless.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your Burn-In on the 2017 LG. Did you contact LG about it? I read they were replacing the panels on the 2016 and 2017 sets under warranty, where they covered the cost of the panel and shipping but you had to cover the labor costs.

I’m still gaming on my 54" Panasonic Plasma from 2008. I haven’t ever had any permanent burn-in, only slight image retention, and that goes away after watching other content or running the Sweeping-Bar for 30 minutes. It’s a shame they just abandoned the Plasma technology. The motion picture clarity was such a step above anything else, up until 2017 I’d say.

I’ve been eyeing the OLEDs for a long time but been holding off because of Burn-In. Now it’s a matter of costs. It wasn’t until I saw RTings comparison between LCD and OLED in Game-Mode that I saw the value of paying 2x-3x the cost for OLED. It’s was surprising to see nearly all the image quality processing tricks for the LCD sets had to be turned off to get low latency needed for gaming.

I have a few friends with the LG setup C8 or C9 and they game quite a bit, but they also have family that watches normal movies and tv shows on their sets. So it gets a decent variety of use. As you said, it never hurts to be careful. And who knows, maybe it’s just too early to make a final call on Burn-In with 2019 or 2020 sets. We may not find out until 2022 or later.

I do wish all games would give options for HUD placement, HUD Color, Luminance, and Intensity, and HUD cycling (slightly adjust the color and position), or maybe have it so HUD is togglable to only come up with a button press.

1 Like

I just finished the Beyond Light campaign. Wasn’t a huge Destiny fan and have always been afraid to dive in because I like to diversify my gaming experiences however I was really impressed. Playing Destiny with really low loading times, 60 fps and FOV sliders makes it a significantly better experience. I’ll keep playing until I experience my first Raid now.

1 Like

Didn’t really find a Destiny OT :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I haven’t followed this game, so what content is available with GamePass? Is it all DLCs or does one have to buy the newest updates?

I believe you do get the newest paid expansion Beyond Light, but you do not get the seasonal paid battle passes (there is a free tier of the battle pass too).

1 Like