Could Sony's SSD solution be the better deal after all? (not about speeds)

Up front I like the Xbox solution. Admittedly over time, it’s possible the Playstation approach could offer more cost effective options. We don’t have much history as a reference point. Should be noted that even with Apple products, knockoff accessories built specifically for that device can be found pretty cheap on Amazon vs buying the official proprietary versions at Best Buy. Could see similar things happen on console. Especially if sales of combined X and S versions are strong. Only time will tell.

Is samsung pro 980 going to work with the playstation because even though it says 7/5 gbps read/write speed those are just peak numbers when it switches on turbo mode but they are not sustainable. Everyone is comparing xbox proprietary card price to the 980 pro with out any validation and trying to make xbox look bad

Exactly. We don’t know. Since we don’t know the actual sustained speeds on ps5 either its hard to make any claims. Perhaps not even the 980 will be enough and a compatible solution will be even more costly, perhaps a cheaper and slower ssd will do.

According to what sony fans have led me to believe is that cerny said the ps5 speeds were sustained speeds. Whether that’s true remains to be seen :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

The storage expansions are/will definitely be expensive for both consoles and im very happy that I won’t be playing anything other than exclusives on the PS5 so I should never have an issue with storage. Series X is slightly more debatable but at the same time, once I get past launch and a few months thereafter, I should be perfectly fine.

Hell even SATA drives haven’t come down in price over several years. I just bought another Crucial MX500 1 TB for essentially the same damn price I bought it two years ago. Anyone thinking that the more expensive PCIE4 NVME drives will drop in price any time in the next five years is delusional. I hope I’m wrong but the prices of decent to high quality SSDs have barely budged at all over the past few years.

Edit: meant to say that’s also why I agree that MS’ approach may be better for cost reduction since they control parameters, cost negotiation, etc.

I’m just going to say it, Sony is probably pulling another “we believe in generations” misdirection with their SSD solution. Think for a moment about what MS said about their drive. They partnered with a manufacturer to ensure the drive meets the same standards as the internal drive. While that may come across as some marketing, it isn’t a lie. Consider that Sony is even more leveraged into the “ssd tech” than MS where their games are going to built around its very special performance. If that is the case, how do they get by with apparently no control over what drives you can use? You’d think they’d need even stricter control over what can be used than MS.

Sony is selling you openness like a PC, but PCs games are made to be scalable with infinite possible setups. PS is a closed platform and the games will need drives with set in stone capability. So this isn’t the case where Sony can say “Buy a drive that can do XYZ and you’re good” because manufacturers obviously LIE. The drives that will be allowed to work with the PS5 will need to be vigorously tested so there will likely be a short list of officially licensed drives or partnerships.

You aren’t going to be able to just buy any drive unless you think Sony is going to say “tough shit” if your games don’t work properly or the console overheats/melts down due to some scam drive that lied about its specs.

2 Likes

I hear PushSquare is a sketchy site, but they have an article up on the 980 and the 1TB option is $229.99. I was wary of Microsoft’s solution mainly because of price, but this is the exact same price.

There are also 2TB and 500MB options.

The write speed is 4.1 GBps and it’s still compatible with the PS5, which is interesting.

My issues with Sony’s solution have been listed here, but I’d like to stress heat. How is the console going to handle that? It looks like a tight fit and is there sufficient airflow for all sorts of SSDs? It’s another thing for Sony to test in regards to compatibility.

I liked the PS2’s solution. The bay was easily accessible, you could use a coin to unscrew the bay, and not many restrictions on what sort of HDD you used IIRC.

I personally don’t understand how there was a middle ground approach where you could put a harness/shell on the SSD and plug it in right in the back of the console.

Perhaps that solution is still feasible with the Series consoles? An adapter that you plug into your SSD and then into the back of the console, sort of deal.