[COMMUNITY CONVERSATION] Game Pass has turned 4 years old earlier this month - How has it changed Gaming for you?

Gamepass has completely overhauled the way I play games and purchase games.

• I am playing more games due to GamePass. Games which I normally wouldnt even consider purchasing. I found some great games like Yakuza 0, Narita Boy etc.

• My gaming spending has been drastically reduced. I am the kind of person who never replays games and owning games was never for me. With GamePass I dont have to purchase anything.

• I dont look to other games on any other platforms anymore. With the amount of games on gamepass and new games added every 15 days, I dont seek out what else is good in the market.

At this point in time for me Gamepass = All my Gaming

2 Likes

I never played so many games and so many genres and I can also buy some games I’ve never bought because of XGS (and now Bethesda) are “free” with the subscription. I also used the subscription fully on pc and via cloud streaming, imo it’s the best new thing in gaming since 20 years.

1 Like

What settings do you use here for FPS? (you could message me directly too.)

I think I will tell a little story about my brother and Game Pass since I think it hammers the point home more.

He has Game Pass, but does not really play many games because he has a young family and is a teacher, but he had more time recently due to Covid, so he asked me for some recommendations to play and I said play Ori because I had been singing its virtues for a while. He eventually played it and after a week he told me that it was one of the best games he had played for a long while and I know he would never have played it without Game Pass.

To me that is the beauty of Game Pass in that it enables you to experience games you would never have and some of those games might become your favourite games of all time.

5 Likes

When given the options, brightness down, motion blur and camera shake off.

2 Likes

I have had Xbox Game Pass since 2017, I thought it was a neat thing at first but it quickly turned into a must have service for me. Now it is the way I mostly consume games, it’s part of my library. Between Game Pass and my huge backlog I will never run out of games.

The cost saving is of course great, but I find I spend more on season passes and DLC instead :wink: The best part though is that I discover so many great games that I would never have played before. I have broadened the genres I play, and I play more games in general.

2 Likes

I’m a Gamepass member since december 2018. I gotta say it has not changed my gaming habits that much. I still buy most of the stuff I like on Playstation (I vastly prefer the controller and most of my friends play on PS4/5). I do wait for games hitting gamespass which I am uncertain of tho. At times it feels a bit like netflix to me. Quantity over quality with the real good games only coming every now and then aside from first party stuff.

I’ll stay subbed over the course of the gen since it is not that expensive and I like to fill the time between the big purchases with smaller games.

Kinda. If there is a game I want to play then I’ll install it, but life has been such a drain lately that I have installed and deleted so many games and not played them.

Game Pass is great. I just think for ultra busy people like me its easy to install games pike I add shows to my Netflix watchlist but never get to them

One other thing I’ll add is that Game Pass makes me play more games and I focus less on the one service game I enjoy, since there is always something new dropping in the service. I used to be a very avid player of Apex Legends (would play 300 hours of it per year), but since getting the Series X I’m instead playing multiple single-player games, as well as trying a myriad of multiplayer games that are also available on the service.

1 Like

BTW: Title still needs to be changed to “turned 4 years old”. They grow up so fast.

4 Likes

It has allowed me to play games that otherwise I’d wait for sales or not even consider.

Stuff like Outriders going to Game Pass day one for example is a huge example of a game that proves the value of Game Pass to me.

3 Likes

I became a thrifty gamer many years ago and so for new games I would wait till Spring sales. But my time for gaming became shorter and shorter and I had a growing backlog. So I essentially stopped buying games and stopped playing games for a while. At that time I bought these games on the PS4 because they were the better version, but my hard drive would be full and juggling all that was a pain especially when it didn’t have external hard drive support. So it started feeling like work for some reason. I also quit my job to make games full time and so I felt it far more productive and rewarding to work on that.

But then I started again when my friends (who are also in their 40s and don’t play many games) started playing Fortnite as a way to hang out so we played every weekend. That was the extent of my video game playing since 2017.

But on December of 2018 we all decided to get the $1 Gamepass deal because it included Xbox Live for 3 months. So really it was for cheap Xbox Live.

But I saw some indie titles on there that were game of the year candidates. I thought it would be a good learning experience for myself to study these games, being they were heralded contemporary games, and to see how they do various things from the main menus to achievements to their level of polish.

So I started playing The Outer Wilds and was blown away. Then played MINIT, Edith Finch, Carrion, Dead Cells, Celeste, and Tacoma. So under the guise of studying these games I became a huge fans of them and I crave more games now. So I canceled my Netflix subscription which was $17 in Canada, and replaced it with a $17 Gamepass Ultimate subscription. It logically holds that as a game developer I should be playing more games than watching TV in my downtime. I now only watch one comedy and one drama a week for my TV consumption.

As a one-man development team I find it a valuable resource. I’m also playing some AAA titles as well to get some inspiration and to take note of how they go about things. And not every game is perfect I’m finding out things I want to avoid.

I’m also playing with a bit less pressure of beating the game if I’m not feeling it. My aforementioned backlog includes titles that I wasn’t really getting into. If that’s the case here I can just simply drop it after learning what I can from it. I have friends at work at big game development companies and they have libraries of video games where they can play pretty much any title from the 8-bit era onwards. I feel like I have that same resource with Gamepass. If I want to study the battle system of some new RPGs I can just try them out for a few hours and drop them. If I bought them for $60 I would feel obligated to play them through.

Oh and I figured out why I stopped playing games for that brief moment. I’m the sort that likes all sorts of genres and I realize that I crave certain games on certain days/weeks. Sometimes I just want to play a fighter, and others I want to play a platformer. And others I want to play an FPS game with some story like Wolfenstein. Gamepass and an external drive allowed me to jump in between all of these games whenever I felt like it. And if I bought all of these various games it would cost me $200 a month. Applying this mentality to my physical backlog of 360 and PS3 games would have me playing more games. But I didn’t realize it back then. I somehow felt that I need to start a game and complete it in that month. Gamepass sort of taught me that I can jump in between all of these games depending on my mood, much it’s like how I’ve always done with music and Netflix. I no longer have that paralysis through choice.

In short, it’s changed a lot for me.

3 Likes

4 years? Man that’s crazy. Arguably it’s only been this year we’ve started to see some sizeable investments though, with day one releases for AAA and polar titles.

That’s not to say Games Pass wasn’t good before, it’s been great since day 1. Now it’s just ridiculous.

1 Like

Gamepass has really changed things for me.

I signed up for £1 pretty much at launch but did not expect to ever pay full price for the service. Now I pay the monthly subscription happily for the following reasons:

I can download and try games without having to buy them. This means I play a far larger amount of games than I ever used to.

If I dislike games I can just delete them.

First Party releases are always going straight into Game Pass.

I still spend money on games that are not included with the service.

I have been introduced to some cracking games such as Haven which I would never have checked out if it had not been on Game Pass.

It is easy to play multi player games such as Knockout City with friends as the game is available to them when they could not afford to actually buy them. The inclusivity value has to be a good thing.

I am so glad the service exists.

1 Like

Phil himself thinks it’s 3 years too! @BRiT :smiley:

1 Like

Everyone wishes they had a mulligan on 2020, eh? :beer:

Well, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate is a little over 2 years old, released on April 18, 2019. Then xCloud streaming was released on September 15, 2020. So it’s not like they’re talking about either of those.

They expanded Game Pass in January 2018 to include first party titles on Day One. Maybe that’s the milestone they’re figuring from? If so, they’re late on it’s birthday. :laughing:

I play more games and I’m frankly just no longer interested in paying for a game outright.

I DO still buy some Ubisoft games that are too much fun to do without (recently, AC Valhalla and shortly Far Cry 6) but for just about everything else, if it’s not on Game Pass, that’s okay, I’ll skip it and play something else. There aren’t enough free hours in a day to stress over playing one particular title or another.

Absolutely spoiled for choice, and I’m hoping more studio acquisitions and truckloads of cash thrown at publishers keep the good times rolling.

Unfortunately I live in a developing nation without xCloud (Australia…) but once commonly available, I’m sure I’ll start enjoying the benefits of Game Pass Ultimate even more.

I’ve carried the same philosophy across to Sony, too - if it’s not on PS+ I’m not going to bother (I used the opportunity to start Days Gone and I have to say it’s shaping up to be one of my favourite PlayStation games…).

1 Like

No shelf edition :grimacing:

They announced streaming for Australia this week right?

They’ve been having staged rollouts to test the service for a few months, but I wasn’t aware that general availability had been announced.

Good news, if so.

I occasionally use the home console streaming option when I’m out and about, and that works quite well, but I’m looking forward to the real deal.

Even when not on the road, as the large AA and AAA content of Game Pass grows, it’s going to be great to be able to just quickly stream the game for a bit to see if it’s worth the, whatever, 70 GB download.

One less barrier to just playing games.

I genuinely can’t fathom how people aren’t nuts for this service.