CDPR facing rebellion after Cyberpunk 2077 backlash

Every high performing software company crunches, not sure why we have to victimize the Devs in the gaming industry so hard. GTA5 is the most successful game in history and is notorious for crunch, Amazon kept hiring people during a Pandemic to work.

You don’t want to crunch anymore? Ok fine, then release smaller, episodic games or 15-20 hour campaigns. Then everyone will complain that devs are being lazy and aren’t putting in the work to create bigger games.

2 Likes

RDR2 is one of the most crunched project in recent memory.

And totally agree with what you said regarding the size of the game. The bigger and more ambitious game, the bigger the problems are and are often prone to putting it more hours than normal. But that’s a side effect of any art related industry.

1 Like

The problem is inexperience of people in forums, and Jason loves to fiddle his crap to this demographic. I bet a lot of people assume that coding is just sitting in front of a computer and typing words from memory and that the poor devs are forced to sit there typing like trained monkeys by their bosses. Newsflash, its not, it requires total problem solving that can take days to months to figure out with no certainty that it can be solved. When games are ambitious and and as large as Cyberpunk, its a massive steaming pile of problem solving algos mashed together. That’s what becomes so time consuming and requires devs to crunch.

This is no different from software solutions in different industries, even when I was working with small startups we would work every day because we wanted to get shit done. The great thing is, tech companies invest a lot into offices and making sure employees are comfortable with amenities.

I empathize the devs, but I’d take this with a grain of salt if it’s coming from Schreier.

Are they? Then they violate a lot of labour laws in Europe. If there really is a ‘rebllion’ some employee should sue CDPR, because they broke the law in more than one case significantly.

1 Like

I really don’t like the sort of reporting Schreier does. Begging on Twitter for any disgruntled employees to get in touch with him. Then writing up a few of those as completely representative. It’s very one sided one eyed reporting. He did the same for Halo promising the inside scoop but never actually delivered anything beyond vague ‘employee a said this’ type of statements, that lacked context and gravitas.

He plays to a certain crowd with this rather than really finds out what is going on.

The game is amazing. I get there were bugs and issues but really base PS4 or One user must have known this game was going to run slow on their 7 year old systems?

It’s not like GTA V or Far Cry 3 run super smooth on the 360 at the end if its life. Like usual, the ones with the most to say, don’t even own the game

100% this. Playing it on my series S last night and it was a blast. It’s even better on my X but big TV claimed by my wife. The game is definitely not good on base consoles but what makes me laugh is all those who spent years telling everyone it was going to run terribly on Xbox One and PS4 are now the ones acting all shocked about it. The game isn’t broken. It just is too demanding for the older consoles. Cutbacks should have been made for those systems for sure but people always choose to ignore covid.

2 Likes

If a game is released on a platform it should at least work or be in an acceptable state. Cyberpunk on last gen is neither of those things. Don’t blame the people who bought a game that CDPR released on their platform.

1 Like

The definition of acceptable state is not clear. Plenty of games have released with framerate like cyberpunk has on base consoles. They weren’t delisted.

4 Likes

The problem isn’t really as much with how trash the game runs on base consoles it’s about CDPR being deliberately deceptive about it and barring any sort of console gameplay to be used in reviews, which shows the confidence they had in those versions to begin with. That’s the thing people and the media is upset about.

They literally said the base consoles were sort of an afterthought recently while leading up to launch, talked about about how surprisingly well it ran on them lmao. This doublespeak and sleight of hand stuff is what eroded some of the trust and goodwill people had in the company, and that is not even considering the god awful crunch culture, which of course most Gamers™ don’t care about anyway.

Cyberpunk being a game about exploitative shady corporations as an irony is not being lost on many.

1 Like

Hate this kind of thinking. It just pushes the blame away from CDPR. Doesn’t help that they deliberately didn’t let reviewers play the last gen version and never once showed gameplay from those versions. Cyberpunk is a massive AAA game and easily the biggest game of the year. I can’t think of another AAA game that came out running and looking like an early beta test on consoles.

The thing is that you can’t defeat the laws of physics. The game to run at a decent framerate needs drastically scaling back. This isn’t about absolving anyone of blame it’s just saying that for a long time people speculated that the game with the scale and fidelity it offered was going to be a hot mess on the XB1 and PS4. Shame on CDPR for not scaling their product well on those machines. But that scaling means the game would look substantially worse. You can’t make it run at 30 by magic.

when i read this stuff i’m just glad nobody really gives a fuck about the industry i work in