Books |OT| Reading RULES!

I have read several Brandon Sanderson books. The first six of the Mistborn series. I enjoyed them but cannot remember much about them now.

I am moving on to Rage by Wilbur Smith after finally finishing Power of the Sword.

Do you all tend to read one book at a time, or juggle multiple? I have three in rotation right now and I typically do this. Golden Age on audiobook, Black Tie Required for my fiction book, and Koji Kondoā€™s Super Mario Bros. Soundtrack for my topical book (typically game related).

My sister has the whole set of hardcovers, sheā€™s the one who introduced me to the series. I have most of the paperbacks, but somewhere along the way got into listening to the audio books read by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading (not their real names, and also theyā€™re married which is neat).

If i misunderstood you and youā€™re asking for more info on how long the series is, it has one prequel which was written after the first few books (my wife and I refer to it as book zero), plus 14 books. The whole thing over audio is 19 days 5 hours I think.

Iā€™m pretty excited about the Amazon show thatā€™s coming, it sounds like they have a pretty good team, and the shots Iā€™ve seen of the sets look good.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant how many do you own or possess. I had heard that the Wheel of Time was well over 13 books (thanks for confirming that too).

The longest series that I have done is the Foundation series and going though a large collection of Wodehouse.

1 Like

I love the Denholm userpic, btw, from the IT crowd.

2 Likes

I think his Mistborn stuff is the first I read just by him (after he finished the Wheel of Time books when that author died), liked them a lot. Also have read the first three of the Stormlight Archive (not the new one yet), the Rythmatist, which is a young adult novel with some really cool ideas) and some of his other stuff thatā€™s aimed at younger readers. I think I liked the Mistborn books best (actually Iā€™ve only read the first 3 so far, even though the second ones are in my living room)

The new Thrawn books arenā€™t bad, I was a huge fan of his older ones (Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, The Last Command plus the two that came later) and have only read a couple of the new ones so far. To be honest, Iā€™ve loved a lot of his non Star Wars stuff too. The Icarus Hunt is really good, The Green and the Grey is a cool book that takes place in New York and is a pretty fast read - has some cool ideas about how people interpret those they donā€™t really understand.

Narnia is cool. I got the series when I was in school through Scholastic or something, and I enjoyed them.

I think Iā€™ve read maybe 3/4 of the Discworld books (need to see about the ones I havenā€™t). I received the first as a gift, my wife has a few, we borrowed some from the library and from friends, and listened to a few (notably Going Postal and Making Money) on audio. I love his books involving Susan and Death (and The Death of Rats :blush:). But honestly all of them.

He really did have a gift with humor and words.

2 Likes

My niece had been getting me copies of the paperbacks for my birthdays. I think Iā€™m missing one at the moment (most likely because it was borrowed). But we have been listening to them more than reading the last few years. Typically do at least one full run through per year. We used to have long drives to see family and would listen in the car (my wifeā€™s parents are 10 hours away, one of my sisters is about 13 - 14 away). The last year, we have worked from home and listen when neither of us are on work calls when we donā€™t want to listen to music. About 1/4 of the way through at the moment. The voice acting just brings out so much in the charactersā€¦

Found out a couple years ago the head of out internal audit dept also is a big fan, so thatā€™s kinda neat.

2 Likes

Like my games I prefer one at a time although in the past I have been reading a book at home and one during my lunch break at work.

1 Like

One is enough. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have a super slow reading habit. I read at a brisk pace, but take ages to finish one book. And I love internalizing the book. Usually, I read non-fiction and real life tech or work stories that can inspire.

1 Like

Mostly one, but if I get in a different mood sometimes Iā€™ll change, also Iā€™m fine reading something and having an audio book and alterating. Iā€™m listening to book 4 of WoT (The Shadow Rising) and reading Colors of Chaos by LE Modesitt from the Recluse saga. But I might pick up something different if the mood strikes.

Iā€™m dyslexic so I can only manage one at a time and depends on the book, or the direction of the wind as to how fast I read it. I have a habit of skipping swathes of text when my attention is away from reading so I have to make sure I donā€™t do that and take a break. It means I generally have to read books several times to ā€œget everythingā€ though in recent years audiobooks have helped in that regard.

1 Like

I guess Iā€™m a weirdo! I just like having a few different things to read at the time. Idk why but it helps me stay interested and focused somehow?

4 Likes

Only one novel at a time, but sometimes multiple comics alongside it.

2 Likes

Wellā€¦I was down to 2 now back up to 3. I finished up Golden Age on audio, decent fantasy book with great narration which elevates it I think. Iā€™m going to try out a book called ā€œ14ā€ by Peter Clines as the next audiobook. Hereā€™s hoping itā€™s good, itā€™s said to be a bit like the TV show ā€œLostā€ but tbh I never really got into it soā€¦

14!!!

OMG Read by Ray Porter?

Narrator Excellent, story I loved, and is properly scary.

Lost is/was rubbish.

Narration absolutely makes or breaks it. Have a couple books I love and was going to get the audio version of, but couldnā€™t stand the style / voice of the reader. Glad you can usually get a sample at least from audible. Our library also has a bunch of books on CD / some you can temporarily download. Wish they didnā€™t have to pay so much for that license though.

1 Like

Went thread digging and found this one. Didnā€™t know we had a book thread, so im dusting this one off.

The last book I read was Dogs of War by Adrian Tchaikovsky (who is a good author by the way, if youā€™re into sci-fi Children of Time is another good one by him) and itā€™s a really good book if youā€™re an animal lover, or maybe interested in the philosophy behind a dogs thinking and the hierarchy between owner and dog. Probably one of my favorites, it made me cry for about half an hour and I couldnā€™t read through the epilogue lol. The book really pulls at your heartstrings at times. I was looking at reading The River by Peter Heller but I heard that it gets emotional so iā€™ll have to put that one on hold for now.

I have a dozen or so books I want to get through but the two I want to jump into for now is Piranesi by Susanna Clarke and Recursion by Blake Crouch.

I can read 4 books in 3 months, then donā€™t read at all for 5 yearsā€¦

The last one Iā€™ve read is The Cartel by Don Winslow, the second book in a trilogy about an officer of the law vs. drug kingpins in Mexico.

Really good stuff, as was the first book (The Power of the Dog, not the Netflix movie)

I also have the 3rd book, The Border, but I havenā€™t read it yet. Probably will when I go on summer vacation this year.

My fav books are The Marabou Stork Nightmares by Irvine Welsh and American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis.

Oh hey, book thread! I recently decided to get back into reading and dusted off my collection of Rick Riordan books (Percy Jackson and the Olympians and its related series) from when i was in high school, and bought a few more of his recent ones to complete my collection of all of his Mythology books. Love that author.

Ive also been reading To Sleep In A Sea Of Stars by Christopher Paolini (Author of the Eragon books) and its a really interesting Sci-Fi Space story. He worked on the book on and off for 9 years after finishing the Eragon series, and you can definitely tell its had a lot of time and research put into it. Its a damn long book (880 pages) and im barely 1/4th of the way into it and am enjoying it immensely.

Read a bunch for awhile and slowed down to barely reading. A big sanderson fan and have enjoyed his works. Also enjoy his he is working with other authors to expand on his non cosmere universes like the Reckoners universe.

Latest kick before my recent break was progression fantasy like the Iron prince and Bastion two fantastic books if you enjoy those types of fantasy. Current book is Sunā€™s Blood but havenā€™t picked it up in awhile so need to finish that. But i usually will get in s kick and burn through books and with kindle unlimited i tend to read a bunch of the more indie style writers.