Blizzard Entertainment has acquired Spellbreak makers Proletariat to work on World of Warcraft

https://twitter.com/gamesbeat/status/1542115918687485955?s=21&t=BjXlnw02oo0f_2sMzUsncQ

Under the deal, Boston-based Proletariat will become part of Blizzard, and its team of 100 people will begin working on World of Warcraft, including the Dragonflight expansion coming later this year. Spellbreak, a battle royale game where wizards and witches cast spells at each other, will be sunset. (The company announced this news yesterday.)

4 Likes

American’s capitalistic Microsoft’s Activision-Blizzard’s Blizzard has acquired Proletariat.

Lenin is shocked :joy:

2 Likes

When will Bethesda acquire someone

Those support studios working on 76, Double 11 and the other one I cant remember seem the most likely if they were to buy anything

1 Like

Imagine being acquired to work on an 18 year old game. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I wonder if this means they’re working to a console port of WoW. I feel that should be the next step because look at how well FF14 has done being on consoles and I think WoW can eat up their share

4 Likes

It is difficult to imagine how WoW could be adapted to consoles. They are trying to streamline UI, but it is still too console unfriendly.

Sunset WoW and make a sequel

That is certainly much easier said than done but they’ll have to move on eventually, working on tech and systems from 2004, how long do they expect to be able to keep this up?

1 Like

that’s true, it may not be easy to put that on controller without revamping the whole game. I haven’t played since mist of pandoria

I think people said the same thing about Diablo and that turned out well. It’s obviously a different beast, but I don’t think it’s impossible or really all that different from all the other console MMO’s out there. I honestly only use about 5 spells/abilities for most of my fights and the triggers and shoulder buttons can offer alternate spell wheels. It would be weird for sure, but it’s totally possible.

Also, Mouse and keyboard support is enabled on Xbox, so people could just play it that way. Either way, WoW needs to either give fans a fresh experience that gets them back into the game or open up the game to a whole new audience. Hopefully they do both.

3 Likes

I haven’t played WoW in a very long time but I agree, it should be very doable on console.

I’ve seen adapted controls for WoW on Steam Deck and it seems to work really well, even people with healer roles were able to play, so I’m guessing with a bit of work they could definitely get something working.

WoW would be a big push for Xbox to be honest, especially with FF14 missing. Having a WoW ready machine for 300$ with Series S could be big imo. I know I’d be playing it on my OLED with a controller if I had the option!

However, ports aside, considering Dragonflight was confirmed for this year but with a release date of 31-12-2022 so far, I have a feeling Blizzard needs all hands on deck to make sure it makes it out before Christmas season, so I think they’ll be supporting them to make sure that they make it out on time!

3 Likes

I bet you all they be working on a battle royal battleground for WoW PvP. It will be bringing lot of people back to WoW that loves battle royal games. I kind of looking forward to it if they do. But it kind of late to be at release.

Anyways I do not think WoW will come to consoles anytime soon. They have to rework all the skills to make it work on a copntroller

I think if FFXIV can work on consoles with a controller, so can WoW…

If not…port it and give M+KB support. I’d run out and buy a cheap mouse and keyboard to play it on Series X.

1 Like

Im sure they can make it work, but the difference between those two is that FF14 is designed to be playable on a controller first and then they easily make the content playable on KB+M after, It’ll be a little bit more difficult for a game that has been designed solely around kb+m to get complete controller support that feels good.

2 Likes