Battletoads might be the most incredible game i've ever played

Seriously, the humor is top-notch, the visuals are amazing. Maybe the best I’ve ever seen. And the way it keeps changing what kind of game it is is just so incredible.

I don’t understand why the press hates this game so much. Just shows how out of touch they are.

5 Likes

I really enjoyed my time with it but man those twin stick shooting levels did not feel fair.

I really enjoyed the game, but there are three aspects that negatively impacts its value:

• No online coop. Even though I understand XGS / devs wanted to bring back some kind of family game.
  • Too many different gameplay styles on a short game. Having a negative impact on the depth of each gameplay style. The value proposition of Battletoads is that it brings lots of “weak” games into the same package. Most likely, they wanted to create a “party game” where this kind of offering is OK, but marketed as a beat 'em up.
  • It feels like Act3+4 is a different game done by another team, and does not have the same quality than the rest of the game. No attempt to bring together the two parts of the game.
2 Likes

It’s sitting at 73 meta right now, sounds fair to me. I’m having more fun with this than Streets of Rage 4 personally, but I wouldn’t give it more than 7-7.5/10 so far.

Not sure why the user score on meta is so low, review bombing?

1 Like

Dlala had 2 seperate teams working on 2 acts each??

Should have been “(It feels like) act3+4 is a different game done by another team”. I will update the post!

1 Like

Okay makes more sense haha

The game is fine. The second half of the game is really weak imo and the beat em up gameplay is good but not great. I really like the cutscenes though.

6 out of 10 because it’s old school!!!

I just started it last night and I’m having a blast. I’ve never played any BattleToads game before, but I’m enjoying myself, and the best part is it was on Game Pass!

Finding so many great games on Game Pass!

Yes, MS First Party games get review bombed all the time.

2 Likes

The good thing about Game Pass is review scores and Metacritic don’t mean shit anymore. Also people don’t need to link expense and enjoyment in their head anymore, like I spent $60 so this better have 100hrs of fun or whatever.

1 Like

Glad you enjoyed the game OP!

Glad you enjoyed it as much as you did, my friend. I thought it was an amazing interactive Saturday morning cartoon

The humor is cartoon network Calarts style, like it came out of an assembly line. (Like Dexter’s Laboratory). It’s horrendous.

The original was humorous, but I always got the impression they were silly action heroes inspired by the ninja turtles and not complete goofballs.

I uninstalled it. It was horrible. I couldn’t stomach to finish it.

EDIT: Calarts is what you do when you can’t draw.

You really are Anakin Skywalker :joy:

tenor

3 Likes

I enjoyed my time with :battletoad: …I want another one. Great fun. It’s more fun with coop, I played a little bit with my wife…

1 Like

The combat could use some improvements, for example to be a bit less easy to make combos, and fewer but tougher enemies. As it is looks like they simply made the toads too powerful and compensated by filling the screen with enemies sometimes that attack you across the whole screen to make up for the challenge.

Some levels like the first bike one are also too big with nothing interesting happening for a while and then towards the end there’s a sudden difficulty spike.

But overall I really liked it, hope Rare and dlala keep iterating on this because there’s legit potential to make a very special ip on Xbox portfolio.

Personally, I was not a fan after the first 1/3 or 1/2 of the game.

When the beat-em-up stages ended, the rest of the game felt like a series of flash games to me. It was almost as if they ran out of time or money and tossed in filler game play for in between the cut scenes which were well done.

I clocked in at 2 and a half hours total playtime and won’t go back. The lack of online co-op for a game like this is really surprising.

It was so fun. I didn’t expect it to be half as good as it was. I hope for a sequal now.