Battlefield 2042 - Coming October 15th

Now that we finally got a real, official update today from DICE (though not much) and the next couple months should bring a teaser and a full trailer and more solid announcements, I think we could use a dedicated Battlefield thread for those here, who like me, love the franchise. It’s the one game in 2021 I’m (slightly) more excited for than Halo Infinite

Oh and by the way, I didn’t call the thread BF6, because I’m pretty sure that will not be it’s official name. Known BF leaker Tom Henderson said the new title will just be titled Battlefield and DICE seems to confirm that in this dev post I’m linking below. Unless it’s just a general refrence of the franchise name, but I think it will probably be just “Battlefield” as in a sort of rebooting of the franchise after BFV’s tepid reception and a new generation of consoles

And they screwed the damn number system up a long time ago anyway. If someone who had no idea about this franchise ever looked at a chronological list of full BF release titles, they would be scratching their head like they had a rash up there

4/22 update from Oskar Gabrielson, General Manager at dice…

Hey BattlefieldTM community!

I know everyone is wanting more detail about what’s to come for Battlefield this year, and I promise we have A LOT to show you in the coming months. We’re putting some things together for when we reveal the next generation of Battlefield , and we can’t wait to show that to you all…but for now, we have a couple of things we wanted to tell you about.

First, we’re really excited to have the biggest Battlefield development team ever working on our console and PC game for this Holiday season, and second…we have something very exciting to talk about on mobile!

The Return of All-Out Warfare

2021 is an exciting time for us here at DICE. Working with more world-class development studios within Electronic Arts, we have our biggest team ever on a Battlefield game for console and PC. Our friends at Criterion and DICE LA are working with us on our shared vision for the game, while the team in Gothenburg is taking technology in the game to the next level. Together, we are creating a jaw-dropping experience for you to enjoy later in 2021.

We’re in daily playtesting mode right now: polishing, balancing, and making the best possible Battlefield game we can. I can tell you it is a bold step. It has everything we love about Battlefield – and takes all of it to the next level. Epic scale. All-out military warfare. Crazy, unexpected moments. Game-changing destruction. Massive battles, packed with more players and mayhem than ever before. All brought to life with the power of next-gen consoles and PCs.

Get ready for our reveal “soon™” :wink:

3 Likes

So as of yet, they still didn’t confirm a timer period/setting, but I gotta believe the ridiculous amounts of rumors about it being very near future are probably true

Most BF fans want them to go back to a modern setting, though even when they were that, they did do a slightly near future version of modern. Like 5-10 years in to the future, if I remember right with the Bad Company titles, as well as BF3 and BF4. So they could feature some real life in-development miltary weapons and tech. So this would make a lot of sense, getting back to that idea

And the above dev post does say the reveal is coming soon. So the expectations of a May reveal, as that is typically when they do it, looks to be the case. So we should have something solid very soon. I can’t fricken wait

My wishes:

1. Modern/near-future setting (zero interest in WW1/2, that’s just me)

2. Good campaign (BF3, 4, and Hardline were mediocre to bad, Bad Company games were good. But please have a real campaign, not disconnected “war stories”)

1 Like

I’m honestly wondering if they’re even going to do a campaign at all this time

I mean I’m someone who wouldn’t care if it had one, or not. I didn’t even play the BF1 and BFV ones. Though I would get the people who would be dissapointed if it was ommited

If they are going to be calling the game “battlefield” and that’s it than I’m confident they are going free to play for the multiplayer like the rumors suggest.

1 Like

Yeah I’m the weird guy who likes the campaigns and never touches the multiplayer. Ignore me and carry on. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hey, we’ll know soon if there will be a campaign and maybe some details about it

So this thread may be for you too

2 Likes

They do that, I sure hope they will be ready to imploy some good anti-cheat and stay on top of it, PC-wise

Will be nice to have tons of full servers always going, for years to come. If it comes to Gamepass, that will certainly bolster that as well, by just putting more eyes on the whole package. And obviously if it’s a damn good Battlefield it will be hopping just on it’s on own

I didn’t pick up on this the first time, but in the dev post he says “All brought to life, with the power of next-gen consoles and PC’s”

Which seems like confirmation that it will only be on X/S and PS5…and PC, obviously. Which only makes me even more confident that the Gamepass, day-and-date, rumors are accurate

2 Likes

Reaction GIF

2 Likes

I agree. This game would do so well in Game Pass.

I’ve always preferred the way Battlefield looks and plays over COD. If it’s going next gen and PC only, I’d personally like to see them take advantage of the hardware to improve the level of destruction.

I’d also like to see them tweak the customization of your player compared to BFV.

1 Like

I would love if they went back to the BF4 model of unlocking and equiping weapon attachments to change the behavior of your guns. And maybe do a tweaked version of what they were doing, for everything else. Like perks for your different character classes, and cosmetic options

1 Like

I used to be a huge fan of BF. BFV kinda killed the series for me.

I’ll play it a bit if it’s on Gamepass. If the Multiplayer aspect is F2P I’d give it a bit more of a spin.

Oh god, I hate these announcements of future announcements.

1 Like

The one good thing about it, is it lets you know the actual good stuff is around the corner

Kind of like when a studio starts putting out pictures and poster images of a movie you’re anticipating, you know the trailer is very close

1 Like

Well, normally anyway… I’ve had my Black Widow Lego set for about a year and still no movie :grin:

Was actually hoping they’d decide to release another when the movie finally comes out.

And I got 3 Monster Energy cans in my fridge right now with Halo Infinite promos on them

Seems like MS is just like, ‘screw it, we’ll just keep paying for the promo for the next year until the game drops.’

oh yeah success GIF by Manny404

1 Like

This is grasping at straws but in that next gen teaser EA did a while ago shows the soldier to have WW2 era gear.

I don’t think it really indicates anything

It’s likely either re-used old footage for when they were showing off BFV years ago, or new tech demo footage showing off the large player-count, but not using models from the new game still in progress

Heck, even the guys face shown in the second image looks just like the dude from the BF3 campaign

It’s said to be a spiritual reboot of BF3. Which is fine by me.

My wants:

BF3 vehicle and map design sensibilities. BF4 sandbox (but no levolution nonsense please). BC2 destruction. BFV gunplay. BF4 radar and UI. BF1 level of presentation (but none of the awful BF1 gameplay)

If they take the best bits out of these games and put them together this will be one hell of an experience.