Audio Gear and Advice |OT| - I like the way you sound

Wall studs can hold a great amount of weight since it’s literally the frame of your abode. It’s really not that complicated, but it can feel a bit daunting if you’ve never done it before. Just watch some youtube videos and you’ll realize how easy it is.

1 Like

I actually completely forgot about the dedicated thread. Sorry. :flushed:

I didn’t know that Polk was much better than Klipsch. It certainly seems to be very subjective as with many things because someone today said the opposite about Polk. He really disliked them, haha. But honestly, I will be going from TV audio to speakers, it’s gonna be a huge improvement either way.

There’s another reason why it wouldn’t be ideal right now. I might be moving to a different house in the near future, if it’s up to me. It’s certainly possible next year. So I kinda just want to wait with such things.

Still though, if I had known someone who can do it for me, I’d do it. But I know very few people here. And this TV set me back biiiiiiiig time, it’s a risk I can’t take. :slight_smile:

All I’ll say is that the Reserve and Legend series from Polk have won more awards the last three years than any non-B&W/Elac brand out there. I’m also saying this as someone who never would have recommended Polk between 2002-2013. While audio preferences are subjective, objective analysis isn’t and Polks have been outperforming in almost every market sector they both compete in (compared to Klipsch), so it’s not a “I think Klipsch is bad”, it’s a “for your money, Polk is the better buy”. There are almost no bad speaker brands these days, plenty of bad speakers but few that I would say universally avoid.

2 Likes

Sounds good, and I really appreciate the help! Elac, that’s a brand I’ve read up on a few years ago when I was then looking to maybe build a home cinema setup.

I forgot to mention something. I actually have front speakers. I have very old Yamaha tower speakers and they have this thing called Bassreflex and I assume that’s where the very deep bass comes from because even without a sub they produce a mighty bass. It’s just that the mids and highs are a bit muffled sounding, not as clear as I’d like them to be. But they could be a nice temporary solution.

And what’s your stance on wireless speakers?

At the same time I really haven’t written off a soundbar setup either. There are two or three I’m looking at right now. Harman Kardon Citation Multibeam 1100, Philips Fidelio B97 and Philips Fidelio FB1. Especially the B97 is said to be rather good and it can be had for 500 euros now, and it usually is in the 1000 euros price range.

It’s clear I haven’t made up my mind at all yet, haha.

1 Like

Oh Elac is great too (I also think Klipsch is fine when you get specific series and/or at a great price - NEVER buy MSRP for audio gear, there are far too many sales all the time).

I’m fine with any form of audio, so long as you’re getting the right kit for your needs/space, so I have no issues with wireless speakers; I’ll look at some of yours and then send some recommendations as well when I’ve figured out the best options for your needs.

I think Reference for Klipsch is pretty much always good?

1 Like

I don’t blame you. I still haven’t mounted mine and I don’t think I ever will. It’s a personal taste thing. :smile:

2 Likes

Definitely. Still, for less money than an RP-8000F II, the Polk R700 is the undisputed champ in the sub-$2000 range for floorstanders, and the R200 is about the same in sub-$1000 bookshelves. Also, for reference, here are the brands represented by the speakers I currently have/use: Polk, Definitive Technology, Bowers and Wilkins (607 S2 Anniversary and 705 S2 specificially), Elac, Focal, Fluance, Kef, Klipsch, and Bang and Olufson (pre-Samsung acquisition, aka when they were decent). Headphones include most of those and a few extras. So if you have any questions about sound profiles and recommendations, fire away.

1 Like

Awesome!

First I think I should look into what kind of sub I would get, because I shouldn’t underestimate that the subwoofer of the Samsung Q990b soundbar set was just overkill for my house, it was overly boomy, the room felt like it was shaking, I can only imagine what the neighbours must have thought. The fact of the matter is that I do live in a apartment building/flat and these walls are thin, very.

I guess I need to look into what hz the sub of the Samsung is and preferably pick a sub doesn’t go as low as the Samsung.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, unless your space is huge - you can save the money on a sub if you’re going to run a pair of floorstanders for your fronts.

1 Like

If I got this calculated correctly…

My living room is 25 square feet. Pretty normal, medium sized living room for my country.

Wait… I think there’s a miscalculation there, is it 25 ft in one direction?

I kinda suck at this, haha.

1. 45m width
  2. 54m length
  3. 70m height

That’s my living room. So it’s basically 4.54 meters from my couch to the TV, when I have put the couch all the way back against the wall.

I did some checking those the first Polk you mentioned, tried to search for them maybe used but not many results and new they are like 1000 per speaker, lord almighty. I’m gonna call it a day for now, tomorrow the search continues.

The goal is to hopefully end it at 1000 euros max. That means AVR and the speakers, and as you said, maybe no sub needed. Less money would be even better. If I can’t get a good setup for that money, then I definitely think something like the 500 euro Philips Fidelio is more for me.

From tomorrow on I will be posting photos of some speakers and/or sets I come across online on Ebay-like sites, and then you can give me your thoughts on them. :slight_smile:

Oh also…

How big of a must is it to have floorstanders for fronts? I could make the whole setup consisting of bookshelf ones by Elac (for example) or are there downsides to it? Floorstanders likely produce more bass?

I made some moves, because if not now I might miss out on these because these are part of a sale.

I ordered the Harman Kardon Citation Multibeam 1100 with the rears and the subwoofer S. Should be here tomorrow. I’ll test it out all weekend long with many content and next week I’ll get the Philips Fidelio B97 and fully test it too.

The Philips normally is in the 1000 and is now 500, so I had to make a move. The “winner” will stay and the “loser” will be returned. Of course there’s also a chance I dislike bother, then I’ll return it all. Once I do that I’m 100% going the full blown home cinema setup route.

Sounds impressive.

What’s the next item you’re waiting on to try out? Or is the HK 1100 it, for now?

Apologies for the forum software not merging topics properly. It should have kept the other posts in proper chronological order, but didn’t. Hope they fix this sometime.

The latest post from Staffy is actually: Audio Gear and Advice |OT| - I like the way you sound - #62 by Staffy

The plan was to also order the Philips Fidelio B97 because you get the full package for only 500 euros, but it might not be necessary. It likely won’t work without the sub and probably isn’t built for that either. And I definitely am starting to believe a subwoofer just isn’t ideal for my house, especially with my dog and neighbours in mind.

I haven’t fully decided just yet, gonna test things a lot more, but so far it has exceeded my expectations. If things keep going well, no issues, I might just stick with this.

Yeah, I was like, hey where did it go? Haha. Because I can find it again when I click on the person that liked the comment.

1 Like

Alright.

I just had to find out how the Philips Fidelio B97 would compare to this, so I ordered it and it arrived today and within an hour I had already put it back in its box.

I tried the same content I did for the HK but the HK just trumps it in all the ways possible. I tested a chopper scene from Extraction, on the HK it really felt as if the chopper was flying around me, at one point I really heard it right behind me, but the rear speakers were to my sides, I loved that. The Philips surround speakers aren’t nearly as good as HK, and their volume were at max, I just didn’t get that surround effect at all.

Voices from the soundbar itself sounded more muffled compared to HK too. I tested RDR2 as well, again surround experience was nowhere near the HK. And to be sure I wasn’t imagining things I immediately hooked up the HK again, same movie scene and I was just blown away. A bar without any sub and it sounded so much better for me than the Philips that does have a sub.

It doesn’t happen often that I make my mind up this fast, but it sure did. The HK is absolutely outstanding in my opinion and punches far above it’s weight when it comes to bass presence, just incredible. It’s absolutely a keeper and the Philips goes back. I can see myself adding the smaller subwoofer to the HK in the near future too.

I cannot wait to hear Starfield on HK.

2 Likes

I’m just dropping a reply here to encourage anyone looking into a new set of speakers to audition a few at a store, if it’s at all possible. The “go-to” recommendations are all absolutely solid, and will likely sound great, but if you’re able to take the time to listen to a few different brands, you might find that one really speaks to you.

1 Like

Looks like Sonos finally fixed their issue. If you’re impacted, try the update!

Sonos Statement:

2 Likes