Asobo Interview.: FS uses Forza Tech engine, MS investing in Asobo

Just wondering if we’ll get some FS tech in the next Forza Horizon? Machine learned city streets and buildings from Bing maps? (Drive to your house!) Real time weather?

I hope it happens soon and MS gives them a AAA budget for a story focused game like A Plague Tale.

1 Like

Yeah, something surely went wrong with the translated article people were quoting. In the interview the sales numbers for Plague Tale and MSFS are mixed up. And there is no mention of a second project with MS.

Oh no T_T

lol

is the forza tech info at least correct?

Don’t know. I don’t have access to the original French interview.

Is not correct. Flight Simulator use Asobo in house engine for graphic side and ESP

2 Likes

Has MS bought these dudes yet? A Plague Tale was a sleeper hit and is a potential AAA franchise.

2 Likes

Asobo is in an insomniac situation if you ask me. Where insomniac was basically an unofficial PlayStation studio for much of its life before becoming official. I feel like at this point Asobo is basically an unofficial Microsoft studio and it will probably be made official someday. but it could be tomorrow or it could be 5 years from now but they will probably be acquired by Microsoft when its all said done. Asf or when, who is to say.

1 Like

Absolutely between Asobo and Remedy MS could have some fantastic AAA third person blockbusters. Seems like a pretty obvious purchase by now.

1 Like

Unfortunately not (yet?)…

French private equity firm Sagard NewGen acquired minority stake in Asobo Studio from its 12 founders in January 2021… :pleading_face: :unamused: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Hopefully there could a similar scenario like with Flying Wild Hog. It was acquired in March 2019 by non-name Supernova Capital, an investment firm started by the former CEO of Splash Damage, Paul Wedgwood, and other members from Splash Damage. Then in November 2020, Embracer Group announced that they re-acquired the company through Koch Media.

The Sagard Newgen transaction was for a minority stake in Asobo. I wouldn’t read too much into that. Most private equity firms have short to intermediate term investment horizons. So, if Microsoft came to drop a bag of cash I doubt they would object.

2 Likes