As Fallout 5 and New Vegas 2 aren't coming anytime soon, a remake of New Vegas with the Halo 2 Anniversary treatment + the cut content included would be the ideal alternative for MS

The Fallout IP is now one of the most important ones in the Xbox’s portfolio with Halo and Minecraft (Fallout 4 is the biggest success ever in Bethesda’s history) and lots of people are waiting for a new Fallout game.

However, there is a huge problem: the IP is super popular, there is a big demand, a new Fallout game would take a lot of time to be made (FO4 took 6 years including the pre-production) but… Obsidian and Bethesda are both quite busy with their current projects (Starfield, TES 6, Avowed, Grounded, The Outer Worlds 2…).

Bethesda Austin (the team behind Fallout 76) seems also busy continuing to improve and support FO76.

We all saw that tweet from Obsidian:

More anecdotally but still interesting, their CEO (Feargus), who worked on Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout New Vegas, also put a Fallout banner on his Twitter account:

People immediatly think about a New Vegas 2 sequel. But it’s something that Obsidian can’t do at the moment as they have no team for such a big project.

However, a remake of New Vegas would be a more realistic possibilty as it could be outsourced (I guess) to a 3rd-party developer while Obsidian could just act as an overseer (like 343 Industries with the Halo CE: Anniversary and Halo 2 Anniversary remakes that have been made by Saber Interactive and Certain Affinity).

New Vegas is a fantastic game that has 2 flaws in my opinion: poor graphics (even for 2010) and it’s unfinished and rushed.

A remake of New Vegas with the Halo 2 Anniversary treatment would be fantastic in my opinion, and I wouldn’t mind not having New Vegas 2 if I could get a sublimed New Vegas. Something in that style:

(from the New Vegas teaser and opening cutscene)

I don’t know what could be the engine though. Maybe the new overhauled Bethesda’s engine that they’re using for Starfield and TES 6 ?

New Vegas also had an extremely rushed development (18 months !!) and suffered from the limits of the Xbox 360 and PS3. As a result, there was a massive amount of cut content and dropped ideas that never made it to the game at the end (KOTOR 2 again… :cry: ). Some of these were amazing.

And it clearly shows in the game: some places feel really empty and unfinished, the Legion content is clearly weaker than the other factions content…

Several Vaults were also cut. So many things :cry:

So, here’s a realistic alternative to Fallout 5 and New Vegas 2 as they probably aren’t happening anytime soon:

• remake of New Vegas with new graphics (Halo 2 Anniversary treatment, excluding Blur cutscenes and the new soundtrack)
  • Fallout 4’s gunplay
  • all of the cut content and dropped ideas that Obsidian feel should be included in a definitive edition
  • all of the DLCs (Dead Money, Honest Hearts, Old World Blues, Lonesome Road)
  • outsourcing if possible so Obsidian and Bethesda still work on their projects
  • call it “Fallout: Return to New Vegas

I’m certainly dreaming (New Vegas is one of my favorite games ever and I feel it deserves justice + I would love to play all of that cut content :open_mouth:) but I guess that would be the best approach for MS regarding the Fallout IP at the moment (and I don’t think they want to sit on the IP for another 7 or 8 years).

• You would get an almost-perfect Fallout game exactly as Obsidian envisionned it on the paper
  • It would be way easier and faster to develop than a full-fledged new Fallout game (which would require a new open-world, a new story, everything from ground-up…)
  • Possibly outsourced
  • Fans would be super happy
  • It would probably be a great success (both critically and commercially).

I don’t have a clue what could be the 3rd-party developer to create that hypothetical remake (maybe it’s a lot more difficult that remaking Gears of War, Halo 2, Shadows of the Colossus or Demon’s Soul ?) but I think that would be the best compromise as both Obsidian and Bethesda are too busy to make a new game. :+1:

5 Likes

Where do I sign?

4 Likes

Are BGS Dallas and BGS Montreal confirmed to work on Starfield or FO 76? Maybe one of them is doing a new fallout.

A new Vegas remaster would be a good way for MS to make people happy. I’d imagine tons of people would love it.

2 Likes

This has to happen!

4 Likes

I’m not sure but it seems to me that Dallas, Montreal and Maryland are working on Starfield at the moment.

Austin is FO76 but I have no idea if the whole team is still working on it (that would be surprising), or only a part of it or if some of them are helping on Starfield.

2 Likes

Maryland still worked on fallout 76 right? I’d think if they didn’t then Starfield would have been in development since Fallout 4 and if that was the case I would think that the other 2 studios would not have helped. If they did I think Starfield would have come out because now it’s 3 studios working on it unlike nevery other BGS game. Or Starfield is going to be much much larger than anything BGS has done

I would be on board for this for 4 main reasons:

1. I loved New Vegas! (I liked 3 a lot, but haven’t played 4);
  2. I’ve been hoping for Vegas X enhancements at minimum;
  3. I only passed the legion story and honestly don’t remember much;
  4. When replaying after the Legion, I was so thorough I explored for over a hundred hours it seemed and found a reported bug where the game save became too large and corrupted.

Life and other games have kept me away since. A remake like this would rocket to top 3 on my current list.

1 Like

New Vegas is still a pretty buggy game on consoles. I doubt a remaster is an easy feat. That said, MS should consider enabling mod support for it. It might help freshen up the visuals and reduce some of the bugs.

1 Like

I’d love a double-pack remaster of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Even if all they did was clean up the graphics, fix bugs, and incorporate the shooting controls of Fallout 4.

I’m actually surprised it hasn’t happened already given the success of the Skyrim remaster.

2 Likes

I think they should just allow the Fallout 4 New Vegas mod to come to Xbox. It is already looking to be a valid remaster.

https://youtu.be/-s0HeS4cliY

3 Likes

Which one? Do you have a video link please?

Edit: Saw you add some vids. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!

Skyrim special edition did happen so I imagine the same people could remaster new vegas

Seems like a part of Bethesda Maryland worked on FO76 but now I think they’re working on Starfield with Dallas and Montreal (maybe not most of Montreal though).

https://www.reddit.com/r/BethesdaSoftworks/comments/9zhhmi/which_offices_are_working_on_starfield_exactly/

According to this comment from 2 years ago, Starfield was potentially supposed to be a 2020 title. So I think it’s coming in 2021

I didn’t know about it (I’m only playing on console).

But a New Vegas remake with improved Fallout 4 graphics + the cut content restored + the DLCs + Fallout 4’s gunplay would be fantastic.

These videos look so good.

1 Like

Strongly agree!!!

2 Likes

I think that too. Time between Skyrim and fallout 4 was 4 years. And with the new studios the gap between FO 76 and Starfield couldn’t be much longer than that.

I hope games are more polished now that they have much more manpower

1 Like

I’d be down for a New Vegas remake like how Demon Souls is getting the remake treatment.

Now that Xbox has so many new ideas they can easily dip in to do a remake of certain games

• Original Doom or Doom 3 remake on Id 7
  • Fallout 3/New Vegas
  • Oblivion
  • Wolfenstein etc
2 Likes

A remake of New Vegas without the crazy level of jank of the original would be very welcome.

2 Likes

Give it the same polish and fidelity that the Demon Souls remake has :drooling_face: