As a console-only player, I can never go back to 30FPS

60fps is definitely the minimum for multiplayer…i still feel for certain types of campaign a well done 30fps is not too bad.

I definitely agree with you. I can’t see myself ever going back to 30fps. It’s such a regression. I would take 1080p rock solid 60fps over a 4K 30 any day of the week.

2 Likes

extremely bad comparison because framerate in games is not just about how it appears, but also how it feels. You don’t interact with animation and movies so 60fps feels offputting there, but you DO interact with games and better framerate matters there. One of the biggest indicators of why 60fps is better from a game feel pov is response time. Have an animation play in 30fps and in 60fps and try to cancel it or change it to a different one with a button press and you’ll feel a significant difference in the response between the two.

This might not seem as much from just seeing it on a video but when you actually play it, 30fps simply feels inferior to play, particularly in games where there’s a lot of real time action (couldn’t care less about 30fps in turn based games, puzzle games and walking simulators and the like).

One of the other bigger culprits would be bad frame pacing which can be even worse than 30fps (hello Bloodborne). Ultimately, a locked 30 with stable frame pacing is still better than a locked 60 with bad frame pacing, but having both locked 60 and stable frame pacing is the sweetest spot every real-time action centric game should have ie melee action adventures, shooters, fighters, racers, RPGs, platformers.

The question then is of course what you prioritize - how well the game responds to you vs how good it looks while doing it. That’s your choice and I’m glad these consoles and devs in general are giving people that choice this gen.

60fps+ is always better there is no question about that and in an ideal world all games would target 60fps while looking like Gears 5 or DOOM Eternal but we live in a world where budget and/or time restrictions exist so there will always be games with mediocre graphics, 30fps and technical issues.

Having cutting edge tech or a super high quality production value is great and always welcome but it doesn’t dictate if I buy/play a game or not so if a game looks interesting enough to me I won’t give a fuck if it’s 30fps, graphically looks below expectations or hasn’t the best animations ever. So yeah I can go back to 30fps, less than stellar visuals, less than perfect animations, lower resolutions whatever you wanna call it just fine if the game looks fun. For example I am playing a lot of Lost Planet 2 in the last few days and I have no problem playing this game, it’s fun af and this is the most important thing for me.

1 Like

I completely agree with OP. Now that 60 FPS has become more of the norm I can’t go back to 30. I’ll take buttery smooth gameplay over graphical enhancements 100% of the time.

I’m playing at 120 FPS on Halo: MCC, Rocket League and Gears 5 where I don’t notice the jump as much but it still plays SO good.

Its really apparent how good high framerates are for motion clarity and fast inputs, when you insert one of your old 360 disks and play some clunky 2005 era games. Please, give me FPS Boost for every game!

1 Like