An analysis of FF7R and Xbox [warning, long OP!]

I’m fairly certain they’re using a turn of phrase and don’t mean it literally…

4 Likes

The problem folks have isn’t it being a temporal exclusive, it’s that they’ve already waited however many years and it’s not coming. If the game is exclusive they should have just said so day one and ripped the bandaid off.

4 Likes

Level-5 did a interview 4 years ago on their anniversary. If it’s not lost in translation Hino is still salty about it.

They had financial problems when they extend to Anime or Manga. But thanks to their mobile success everything is fine.

Good thread.

My thoughts are…

That they can go fuck themselves.

6 Likes

The answer is simple, Microsoft can’t depend on square to release games so build a relationship with others like Bamco, Atlus, and other JRPG studios. I think Microsoft really needs to consider revisiting Lost Odyssey by doing either a remake or a remaster. They can also consider outsourcing Japanese studios to create IPs for them.

5 Likes

my answer is I buy a ps5 for FF :bowing_woman: then I can play all the bangers with a ps sub that released since then :stuck_out_tongue:

My thoughts are that the frustrations about Final Fantasy 7 Remake coming to Xbox has nothing to do with Sony’s exclusivity on the game but more Xbox’s lack of AAA support.

I think the number one thing I was looking for in the Xbox showcase was AAA JRPG support, it’s the games I like to play the most and Xbox is the platform I like to play my games on. We got the persona games which is great! we got Tales of Arise which was great! and we will probably get more in the future.

The problem lies in the unknown, will we get Persona 6? Will we get Dragon Quest XII? We want to play these games on our chosen platforms but more importantly we want to know for sure that we will be playing these games. If big Philly Spencer came out on stage and said “don’t worry, persona 6, the next Tales, Dragon Quest XI and other JRPG’s will be coming to service Day one” I don’t think I’d have been too bothered about FF7R being exclusive to PlayStation. It’s more the fact that you see FF7, with the compelling story, fantastic music, amazing graphics and so on, and then you have on the Xbox side Sarah Bond “don’t worry guys, we got you! We’re getting Euridyum Chronicles!” and we all go “Oh…yayy…”

Not that that game won’t be great and my want for FF7 is definitely a bias, but judging by how the major threads over the past week or so have been about JRPG’s, I’d say that it’s not a small crowd that wants these game.

I don’t think Xbox needs to get exclusivity for games or to make Xbox the home of JRPG’s or anything like that but they need to instil confidence in us that any major AAA RPG’s that we want, 90% of them will be coming to Xbox and if 10% are exclusive to PlayStation, that’s cool I’ll play them down the road, but I’m okay in the knowledge of all these great games I know are coming.

3 Likes

My answer to this is, rome wasn’t built in a day.

One step at a time, nobody thought we would get Persona 3 years ago, fastforward today and we’re getting 3 of the mainline series this year. This is not an issue that will get solved right away in regards to Japanese support.

3 Likes

Just curious, if JRPG is the type of games you like most, what about Xbox is more important than the games you want to play?

Just curious, since I’ve seen this sentiment more than once

4 Likes

I think I understand what you’re asking but tell me if I’m wrong.

I like the ecosystem, the dashboard, the achievement system, Xbox PR and how they talk to their audience, how my gaming history is basically been on Xbox for about 15 years now, the controller (that’s a big one) and gamepass.

I think back in the N64/PS1 days, it didn’t really matter where you went but there’s a lot more to gaming now than just the games. It’s like asking someone Why they choose apple over Android when you need to answer calls and text.

3 Likes

I wouldnt say it’s extreme as the Android/ios example. Despite having additional capabilities, a console still exists to play games. The game library is less important than dashboards, achievements, and controllers?

2 Likes

No the game controller isn’t as important as the games, the games are the most important of course. But I bought the first one on a PS4 I bought just for the game and I didn’t really like the Dual shock 4, the controller itself wouldn’t connect properly to the console half the time. I didn’t feel the need to go for the trophies because I had no sort of want to go for them like I do achievements. I played FF7, Personal 4, Spiderman and God of War and it went in a drawer were it’s been since. The games are the most important, but when you don’t really like the system, you’ll want to play the games you want on the system you normally play on.

1 Like

Can definitely see where you’re coming from. Getting Persona is great and we can only hope it stays that way. But pesky insiders are already claiming 6 will be PS exclusive, but who knows, could be total horse shit too. But the not knowing is not cool, not something Xbox necessarily can do much about I think though.

At least it seems Yakuza and Judgment seem in a pretty safe spot in terms of staying on Xbox platforms, hope new games from the makers of Danganronpa and AI as well, and so on. Dragon Quest is anyone’s guess, but Sony didn’t get that locked away, Game Pass actually managed to get it. Hopefully the sequel too since it’s been said the combat will see a big change and it could be right up my alley then.

Capcom has been doing really well for Xbox thankfully too, so I’m hoping DD2 is safe as well. I agree though, if we could just get certainty that we will not also get sequels and new games by these studios that it would go a long way.

Yeah I will clarify and say Xbox are trying and I do recognise where they were coming from to where they are now. All the Yakuza’s on Gamepass was massive. They’re really trying in Japan but most of them were what came to PlayStation first and then Xbox years later. They need the games to be day and date, not two/three years down the line.

2 Likes

Agreed and thankfuly it seems we are getting a bunch of day and date games. Shortly we have AI 2, soul hackers 2, digimon survives, that sd gundum game and the f2p mp shooter gundum one. 2 years ago I would have said none of these would come to Xbox

5 Likes

Hopefully we see that nice looking trend of Xbox sales in Japan continue for the long term.

7 Likes

I don’t know what evidence Phil has on the CEO of SEGA but they seem to be really close right now and that’s making a big difference. If he can just get some dirt on the CEO’s of Square and show how girthy his massive cheque book is, we should see the fruits from that relationship too.

2 Likes

Wait, SD Gundam? Is that a beat em up? I loved those back in the SNES days. We had a assecoire for the SNES that let us play floppy discs, that way we got Japanese and US games we otherwise never would’ve had in The Netherlands.

The double standard in the Gaming media and gaming community is pretty ridiculous. Sony fans still want a single console world and seemed annoyed that Xbox even exists. Sadly this bias has extended through the industry and into the gaming media.

We should at least be given a legit answer as to the REAL status of FF&R and if it’s a full exclusive or not, and not be left in the dark.

No surprise Jason Shiller is super quiet on this front, if the tables were turned he’d be putting up weekly articles trying to get MS execs to spill the beans on it.

3 Likes

Not sure if it’s the one you mean but the preorder page calls it an action RPG

5 Likes