An analysis of FF7R and Xbox [warning, long OP!]

Sony acquiring the company that owns Final Fantasy (which includes the biggest MMO on the planet right now), Dragon Quest, Kingdom Hearts makes full sense

A company like Square-Enix has a lot of cross media opportunities in Asia and the West too and part of the company would work well for the anime world domination plan Sony is executing.

On the live services/GaaS/MMO side we bring the expertise of the FFXIV team with Bungie as first party developers (which means they will get to help create and use first whatever innovations Sony wants to develop for PSN and PlayStation online services).

Sony getting Square Enix makes full sense for their original (story-driven games) new (GaaS) and missing (JRPG) approach.

Lol they aren’t buying them they are just doing aggressive moneyhats… they did something similar with Bethesda moneyhatting Deathloop and Ghostwire and they tried with Starfield remember?

4 Likes

Sony buying Square would be a really good move for them. They would have control of eastern RPGs similar to how MS has control of western RPGs.

Big move they should really make imo.

1 Like

Theyre not. Much cheaper for Sony to moneyhat their biggest FF games instead

We are getting the next Star Ocean…which is supposed to have a trailer this month

But judging by the quality of SE RPG’s like Stranger and what looks like a mediocre Crisis Core remake…I’m fearful of Star Ocean being one of those “sony didn’t want to touch the moneyhat” type games.

Square Enix is the most likely publisher for a Sony acquisition, but I don’t see it happening unless Microsoft begins making moves that disrupt the Sony/SE alliance.

It’d also be the least impactful acquisition they could make, since every big game they make is already Playstation exclusive.

1 Like

Only FF is owned by Square. Kingdom Hearts is owned by Disney and Dragon Quest is owned by Horii.

6 Likes

Well, if MS does ever decide to help Mistwalker and Level 5, if you do get a PS5, you’ll have even more great JRPGs to play.

1 Like

It remains to be seen how deeply it affects Xbox because the market reality is that shortages, Series S, inflation etc. will make people more people buy Xbox. We are not in the previous gen situation where Xbox will decline without FF. It is more likely for FF to decline, because it literally ignores not only growing and widely available Xbox market, Square Enix even ignores PC at this point.

FF7R exclusivity was a brain dead decision for the company that is not owned by Sony. I wonder if FF7R deal was made years in advance (for all the series) when it was assumed that PS5 will be the second coming of PS4 and Xbox will die off.

The fact that Sony moneyhatted so many games means they are not buying Squre Enix.

2 Likes

Level-5 still feels hatred toward Microsoft because of the cancellation of True Fantasy. :doge:

Money can fix anything, but we’ll see.

1 Like

That’s a 20 year grudge there. Most of the people they dealt with haven’t worked at Microsoft for years.

3 Likes

Short answer sony paid for timed exclusive long answer sony paid for full console exclusive either way im over it now if it comes to gamepass i play it otherwise don’t care no more

Aren’t they doing mobile now? It’s like Xbox is waiting to say “Well well, look who came crawling back.”

the thing is that SE does not own dragon quest (hori) nor do they own kingdom hearts (disney)

2 Likes

They seem to be doing just fine on mobile though. Just because games don’t click with “us” doesn’t mean they aren’t doing well.

My opinion is that it’s a legit strategy that MS could be doing too, so while i’m not a fan of it, i can’t really blame Sony if they think it’s working for them. People talk about Tomb Raider but i guess that was different since XOne seemed like a dead console MS didn’t care much for, to be honest.

But this strategy was one of the key things that helped Xbox 360 be as strong as it was, now Sony is repeating this same play, while MS has to care about Gamepass now, and since they don’t want to get any third party exclusive that doesn’t go into GP day one, we can’t expect any big AAA 3rd party temporal exclusive on Xbox Series, it’s more about hoping each big third party game that gets announced is multi.

I am pretty sure this FF7 hasn’t been the last AAA that’ll be announced this year as temporal exclusive for PS5, either on their showcase or VGA like last year we’ll see at least one more, gotta just accept it and have patience with these games they take.

There’s no perfect console and each one has their strenghts i guess, MS focusing on one strategy and Sony with another one

1 Like

That’s good to know. I just think those days of making many console titles are over. For now at least. I mean they do make some, but not like heyday level.

Sony’s strategy won’t be viable in the long run due to how well the Series consoles are selling. So there will be less timed exclusives.

This is so infuriating and feels like a slap in the face. Square Enix and Sony can both fuck themselves.

I’m most certainly not gonna buy Crisis Core remastered and Star Ocean for this shit. Good thing Tomb Raider and Deus Ex aren’t with them because they most certainly won’t be getting my business anymore.

The last hope I have left for it coming to Xbox is that perhaps the deal Sony has states that the first remake can only come out on Xbox when part 2 comes out. So we’d effectively always be a game behind on Xbox. But I’d take that rather than never.

Also my only problem with all this is that it wasn’t made clear at the start if it was/wasn’t an exclusive…it’s the hope that kills you

1 Like

Gaming is not that important to have hopes that can kill you