AMD FSR: Xbox Series S secret sauce?

Now that the cat is out of the bag and that support for AMD Fidelity FX Super Resolution is available for pretty much everything, what are the chances this will be supported on Xbox and used to enable higher resolution games with a higher refresh rate, or maybe just to keep performance on Series S acceptable in the long term once we reach the end of the generation?

We’ve seen how demanding Raytracing can be, in my opinion this type of technology is almost necessary if consoles want to keep up, so hopefully adoption is high. What do you all think?

1 Like

Im sure it will be used but Id love for developers to stop pixel pushing on Series S to begin with. Just offer 60fps at 1080p PLEASE before you try to offer 1440p.

10 Likes

It isn’t announced for consoles yet. We also didn’t get a good demo of it as of yet. Godfall isn’t very extensive in its use of RT as is and its kinda bleh art isn’t ideal for comparing details tbh. I’d like to see more games with higher frequency detail shown off to compare.

XSS doesn’t need secret sauce, it just needs actual next gen game engines.

3 Likes

I assume they just mean this could help devs hit a reconstructed 1080p at 60fps with RT on XSS. But tbh until we can see better comparisons on other games I’m still a bit skeptical of FSR. They shoulda zoomed in to let us see the details being resolves better.

1 Like

Like why is Necromunda doing 1440p at 40-50fps. Thats just gross and no reason it can’t be toned down to 1080p with a locked 60fps.

4 Likes

Yeah there a few games where the decisions just flat out make NO sense at all, as if the devs didn’t even test it even a little bit or something. Very weird. That often gets fixed in patches though.

Ehhhhh, tbh this looks real blurry to me:

Even here, there just isn’t a ton of high frequency detail in the first place, and it is not clear to me where the RT is even being used in this scene or how extensively:

3 Likes

Not a fan of how they do the comparisons. They focus on FPS increase. That causes the focus to be on quality drops instead of quality improvements. They should focus on resolution increase at the same frame rate. This way you can see 1080p X FPS versus 1440p X FPS.

It’s been a peeve of mine since both vendors market the FPS.

6 Likes

100% this. Fix the framerate and then compare pixel density at standard fps settings (60fps). After all, that is more in line with the purpose of the tech in the first place…to get high pixel counts with RT using upscaling at interactive framerates.

1 Like

Ahhh as expected not very good from AMD they are behind and Nvidia are just ahead of the curve

2 Likes

I think the most blurry ones are from the 1060, no?

Or it doesn’t matter?

The way I see right now if a game is 4K on Series X at 60fps it should at least be 1080p 60fps on series S, maybe 1440p dynamic depending on the title.

Once we are 4-5 years in and that some very demanding games are 1440p 30fps, what will those look like on Series S? FSR could help in that regard.

Also, FSR could be the element needed to push more video options in games. Like imagine a game, let’s say Halo, where in the options menu you can turn Raytracing On/Off, 60fps/120fps toggle, 1440p/4K toggle, and depending on what you select the game would have some kind of presets where it knows to be at native res or need to use FSR to provide a stable experience? Like if you pick RT/60fps/4K it would be native res, but the same settings at 120fps FSR would kick in for example.

I think having more options is always great. A game like WD Legion could definitely have used FSR to help push 60fps with all that raytracing, or at least have had that option as a secondary mode.

I really don’t get this decision either lol. Like sure let MS talk about Series S being a 1440p console, but everyone and their dog knows its much better and more reliable to consider it a 1080p console and work with that specification. 1080 60 is literally all anyone can and should ask for from the Series S.

1440p is double the pixels of 1080p too, so the overhead is needless and won’t even be used by the majority due to them owning 1080p TVs anyway.

2 Likes

I personally would have labeled the new consoles “Xbox 5 HD” and “Xbox 5 4K” but obviously what’s done is done. But what’s weird is that they’re not really looking to market the consoles as an HD version and a 4K version. This fascination with 1440p is puzzling.

Especially when you consider that the S is 1/3rd the power of the X… which isn’t enough for 1440p experiences at the same fidelity. It needs to be half the power (of course I’m speaking generally).

It only needs to be 1/4 the power to hit 1080p at the same fidelity and so the S is overpowered for that, which is fantastic.

I personally think the target should be 2160x1200 for a clean super-sampled HD image if the framerate can keep up. Otherwise a 1080p image is just fine.

2 Likes

Xbox own ML tech might be the best for series s, we will see directML soon

These comparison shots don’t look very impressive to me. Has anybody compared it to a more standard TAA upsampling, are there even any major differences?

Looking forward for more information what AMD is even doing inside this thing. They will release it as Open Source, am I right?

Edit: What a disappointment this is after further reading AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution is coming soon to GPUOpen - AMD GPUOpen

How does it work?
FidelityFX Super Resolution is a spatial upscaling technique, which generates a “super resolution” image from every input frame. In other words, it does not rely on history buffers or motion vectors. Neither does it require any per-game training.

I don’t understand why they are regressing from TAA in this way. This only makes sense as a post processing solution you can inject in every game. Why would a dev use this if integrated TAA solutions like in Unreal give better image quality?

3 Likes

One reason to not bake it into the algorithm is to allow it the broadest possible reach. It’s likely it will be used with image reconstruction technologies, but as a more hands on implementation by the developers. It’s an interesting building block, so let’s hope they find unique ways to apply it.

Yes, it is open source using the MIT license.

The biggest shame with the reveal is having to wait until June 22nd for the actual details.

1 Like

The Series consoles have ML hardware, MS won’t use SuperRes without ML, they have their own tech already in motion.

They might couple it with FSR and make it use the Xbox ML hardware, but let’s see…

Well, at least it seems to be cheap from a performance impact point of view even in Ultra Quality settings.

I can’t wait to see MS’ tech but they showed some of it back in 2018 with Forza Horizon 3 and we haven’t heard about it since. I thought the start of the Series generation of consoles would have brought in that upscaling at the start considering Raytracing was going to be demanding, yet nothing has been shown yet! Maybe we will learn more at E3?