A positive Xbox article, seems like a miracle

TGA was a HUGE HUGE success for Xbox, blew the doors off, but no surprise not many media articles mentioning it. Well here is one finally pointing out the obvious.

So, Microsoft planned this well. They won a few awards, Hi-Fi Rush for Sound Design, Forza for Racing/Sports and Accessibility. But what they also did was thread in rather large Xbox-centric announcements and reveals all throughout the show. We had:

• A really great look at Hellblade 2, out next year, and the (second best) music performance of the show, impressive to land with a game that didnā€™t even have a release date, so the entire thing served as essentially chunky 10 minute ad for the project, well above and beyond most other games showcased outside of, of course, Hideo Kojimaā€™s OD.
  • And then, of course, Kojimaā€™s OD is a project heā€™s making in collaboration with Microsoft. That part was glossed over a bit, but even though we didnā€™t see much from it and it was mostly a Kojima/Keighley/Peele love fest, itā€™s a big deal that Microsoft is making it with him, and between this and Hellblade thatā€™s what, like 20 minutes at least for just these projects?
  • One of the biggest announcements of the show was that Arkane was making a licensed Marvel Blade game, a third person endeavor that debuted with an eye-catching trailer and a base concept that everyone seems to be on board with. Even though there was some oddness about Xbox not saying it was an Xbox exclusive, everyone expects it to be, and insiders are saying it is.
  • Baldurā€™s Gate 3 launched on Xbox after its GOTY win. Despite zero GOTY nominations, Microsoft still managed to attach itself to GOTY itself by finally launching Baldurā€™s Gate 3 on Xbox the night it won. The Larian folks were allegedly supposed to announce that on stage but forgot (that would have beenā€¦a bit tacky if you ask me), but it did launch all the same.
9 Likes

What is thisā€¦

Well written, to the point, accurate and genuine?

Xbox acquired Forbes confirmed.

5 Likes

Just acquire Take 2 or Nintendo.

Article writers wonā€™t be able to reconcile their hate with blind praise and spin themselves out of reality.

I saw this one on another forum with commenters taking a huge dump on Tassi or asking who he was because ā€œtheyā€™d never heard of him.ā€

I thought it was a decent article. What I felt like it was missing is that Sony really hasnā€™t shown up in a big way for anything this year. Not E3 time, not Gamescon, not TGS, TGA or even their own shows. The Game Awards on their own arenā€™t an issue, whatā€™s an issue is that the whole year has been this way and thereā€™s no indication next year will be better.

Each time itā€™s been ā€œdonā€™t worry theyā€™ll be coming out strong at show Xā€ and they just arenā€™t. Weā€™re obviously at the beginning of a first-party content issue. Itā€™s showing up at shows now, which means itā€™ll be showing up in releases in a couple years.

3 Likes

Now Iā€™ve seen it all.

3 Likes

ā€œOtherā€ forums are saying Tassi is now somehow an MS fanboy (despite all he really having been known for is being a Destiny 2 complainer and Forbes). The downplaying is out of this world. Xbox canā€™t have any positive media articles at all, it seems.

1 Like

Heā€™s been accused of being a PlayStation fanboy in the past. Someone should show them this list of articles.

I think the truth is that heā€™s simply an equal opportunist who just writes what will give the most clicks. Sometimes that puts PlayStation in the crosshairs, sometimes Xbox.

2 Likes

It was a great night for Xbox, felt like they really brought their A game with some great trailers including the surprise announcement of Blade (which from the little we know looks very interesting so far]. Feels like right now Xbox is in a bit of a transitional period as they work to integrate Activison but itā€™s going to be great to see them really bring the thunder this E3.

6 Likes

Yeah, Tassi holds no loyalties to any brand. He just looks at the way the wind is blowing and writes some clickbait articles.

His current article pipeline is probably:

• tga critique to capitalize on current trends
  • the fact that Spider-Man won nothing
  • and the Blade no Xbox branding bit
4 Likes

Iā€™ve our cousin thread on a site that shall not be named are to be believed, Xbox is actually dying and the tga announcements were shit, and the games announced are going to be mediocre.

@pg2g I canā€™t fathom how you can stand that place lol

1 Like

Every show this year, Sony has been ā€œnext SOP will be the oneā€.

1 Like

Meh, the consolewar clickbait title was unnecessary.

4 Likes

And necceaary for balance in the world - Thanos

Microsoft and Xbox obviously had the far better showing and going into 2024, gives the brand a lot of momentum which is great. Hoping for the second annual Developer Direct in late January to continue that momentum.

5 Likes

This. I appreciate a positive view on Xboxā€™s showing at TGA but framing it as a competition that Xbox ā€œwonā€ is unhelpful IMO. It just summons the angry fanboys and now thereā€™s a big debate around it instead of celebrating something positive.

2 Likes

From what I have seen, Forbes tends to be positive about Xbox

1 Like

Xbox did indeed have a strong TGAs. Winning 3 awards, getting BG3 finally etc.

Xbox went through a really bad few years that required a lot of slow and difficult work to address. Unfortunately, taking these steps takes a long time to come to fruition, but 2023 has already proven that the ā€œdelivery phaseā€ on those improvements is well underway.

1. Transitioning from having 5 studios to over 30 studios, with the largest 1st party developer capacity in gaming
  2. Significantly improving relationships with Japanese developers generally, with Square Enix cementing that this year
  3. Becoming a multi-award winning studio with an upward trend in TGA nominated games
  4. Listening to the need for high profile/super-hero games by snagging Blade
  5. Listening to demands for more single-player games with Blade, Hellblade 2, South of Midnight, Clockwork Revolution, Avowed etc.
  6. Responding to ā€œXbox has no gamesā€ with, frankly, an avalanche of announced games, big and small, with a roadmap of at least 4 games per year from 1st party
  7. Hugely increased marketing/PR in the latter half of 2023, which it is hoped, will continue going forwards
9 Likes

I was a little down in the dumps with Xbox this year. After the TGA though Iā€™m hyped. 2024 is so backed with Xbox AAA titles is beyond nuts and then add in ABK games and next year should be the best year for Xbox ever

Really? Why?

My hype for Xbox after TGA is the same as before mainly because they have all these studios including Bethesda and ABK so itā€™s just a matter of time before they all show new games and whatnot. I had no worries about Xbox when I switched from PlayStation to Xbox as my primary gaming console for this generation and this was back in Spring 2020 once I saw the specifications for PlayStation 5 and before the acquisition of Bethesda and long before the ABK acquisition.

Every year from 2023 on should be a good to great to excellent year depending on how all their games line up and whatnot.

XBOX baby!!!

4 Likes

No promotion pushes for Series consoles lack of stock and then reading PS5 sales have gone up by 200%. Plus I was expecting Starfield and Forza to had more of an impact.

After TGA awards thatā€™s in the past and 2024 is just going to be amazing and the best year for me as Xbox fan.