120hz TV's and Monitors

I’ve been on the fence about the LG CX and the Samsung Q90t for the past week. My habits aren’t very conducive to having a tv that can have permanent burn in so I’ve been leaning towards an LED panel, but I seriously want those perfect blacks. I’d love to hear updates on your experience with the 80t.

1 Like

So I’m probably going with the. GIGABYTE G32QC 32" Because 1 my series x is going to be in my office 2i need a new work monitor.2 are new one is 7 years old 3 I hear the picture on this is. I’ve even at 1440 and it does 120

I’ll probably update in like 2 years when 4K and really good hdr at 120 is cheaper but for now I’m more interested I framerates and respond time. The picture will still look amazing In 1440 p

If you guys are planning to get a ps5 i wouldn’t get a 1440p monitor since sony seems inclined to not support it. @Thebaconlife

Anyone know if LG NanoCell 85 Series would be good for Series X?

Does the CX supports 4k120 and HDR with 4:2:2 subsampling?

If so, it’s not that big of a compromise for games anyway

Actually, after finding out that all of the new consoles can’t exceed 40 Gbit fixed rate link speed over HDMI 2.1, I ended up buying the LG CX OLED anyway. The TV is fantastic! I could never trust Vizio the way I trust a brand like LG.

1 Like

I just got mine yesterday and I have to agree! Still need to do all the calibrations but I’m already very impressed.

Big negative: ads and data collection make me want to throw up. I’m going to try to get a pihole up and running to kill these attempts at violating my privacy.

Edit: I’m calibrating the settings on the TV and I’m legitimately tearing up at a random Dolby Vision nature documentary I threw on. Literally backed out of the settings so I could watch the whole thing and started sniffling at the tigers and whales.

Well my xbox is going to arrive tommorow. I just got a new desk for my office still not enough room for a tv so I went with GIGABYTE G32QC 32 for now. should be here in a week. Link below. Im very ok with 1440 gameing at 120

Well, I said I would follow up on my experience with the Q80T, before Black Friday, but I feel like I still need more time for my thoughts to settle.

That said, I’ll say that I’ve been pretty pleased with it. It checks the boxes I was looking for (4K@120Hz, VRR, ALLM, etc.) and delivers a quality picture while doing so.

It has a snappy OS, a nice remote, and is a pleasure to use/navigate. Small things like it instantly recognizing my Series X as an Xbox and swapping to game mode automatically, or being able to use voice commands (on the remote) to bring up specific picture settings, are nice touches.

Finally, while it does lack Dolby Vision support, HDR10 provides a more than adequate HDR picture; for films and TV, anyway. I haven’t had as much luck with games, as I’ve yet to be fully satisfied with my calibration attempts; that may be entirely on me, though, as I have no prior experience with HDR.

Is this the TV for you? Honestly, I’m not confident in my reviewing abilities to give a strong recommendation, one way or another. Again, I’m upgrading from a ten/eleven-year-old TV, so just about anything was going to be a significant jump in quality. As I said, though, I am pleased with it.

If anyone has questions, feel free to ask them; keep my inexperience with modern TVs in mind, though.

2 Likes

I’m just worried that some games won’t display at 1440p so they will output at. 1080p. Also don’t u loose vrr if a game does run at 120fps at 1440p. Also cant display full range of colors.

I’m looking at the eve spectrums(27inch) 4K/144hz HDMI 2.1 monitors that are out in February but the wait is hard.

As a X9000H owner I’ll be pushing for a refund if this turns out to be true.

2 Likes

Well…finally hooked up the LG CX 55" OLED that I have had in the box since September 11th as I received the Xbox Series X this past Monday.

Played Gears 5 Hivebusters expansion and holy shit, it looked amazing. I then played Watch Dogs Legion and the world looks superb. Ray Tracing looks so damn good. Not perfectly implemented but damn, an excellent first impression.

Will be playing Immortals Fenyx Rising this week but February will be the main test as I will finally get to AC Valhalla.

For anyone who’s buying the CX or anything from LG for that matter and wants to have a warranty for it, you can buy it directly from LG -

https://lgcare.yourserviceplan.com/

I paid $148 plus tax for a 3 year warranty. I rarely if ever buy a warranty and only did so because of the potential burn in issues with OLED TV’s.

2 Likes

Here’s yet another announcement of hdmi 2.1 monitors coming. Am I right that so far there have been none actually released?

This doesn’t exactly pertain to the topic at hand but just a suggestion: if you have a smart TV, look into setting up a pihole for your home network. I’m not good with network stuff at all and I still managed it so you can too!

A pihole is way to block requests on your network, basically. It’s like a super adblocker, and it prevents things like your smart TV sending your information to HQ so your habits can be analyzed. Here’s a link to the subreddit.

Edit: It also blocks that one ad tile on the Xbox home :wink:

1 Like

This simply isn’t true.

It entirely depends on how close you sit to the screen. I have a 27” and sit 2’ away from the screen. A little closer if I’m playing something competitive like halo.

Look at a tv distance ratio calculator. I see more of my 27” monitor in my FOV than my 84” tv because I sit about 12’ away from the 84”.

at 27 inchesand roughly two feet away at my desk I don’t need 4k, to each their own.

Then you never do because it’s equivalent to 4K on an 80inch at 10ft.

I appreciate your passion about this but 1440p has been a-ok for me. If it isn’t for you that’s fine too.

Lol I’m not saying there’s anything wrong with 1440p. I agree it’s barely noticeably different. That statement is just as true at 2ft for 27” as it is at 10ft for 80”.

I don’t think 4K makes a decent size difference unless you sit 1ft away from a monitor or 6 ft away from a 80”.

Gotcha, for the most part it comes down to money vs. improvement gains. Saving up for an HDM 2.1 set to have 4k/hdr/120 in a monitor is just so much money vs. what you gain. If I hit the lottery though the fabled 42" LG OLED would be incredible. I’d just have to move back a bit haha.