XboxEra Community Hangout |OT| Safe Space no longer required (Part 1)

Some amazing hair physics added to frostbite.

How likely is it that MS is going to invest in having a state of the art game engine that focuses on adding features that are required by XGS. MS now owns a lot of studios, a good portion of which utilize Unreal engine, which takes a 5% cut on game revenue.

Does MS build an engine from the ground up or upgrade id Tech/ Forzatech? I think there are enough reasons now for MS to think about this, they are a software company with lots of resources to hire the best, they can even license it out to 3rd parties and maybe subsidize games using their engine etc.

2 Likes

They have forzatech, iD, Slipspace etc. They have plenty of in-house engines and the coalition is as good as it gets with Unreal. Great to have a mix, and any cut that Epic takes is worth it. Creating/upgrading all your own engines and never using something like Unreal is just as if not more expensive to do.

2 Likes

Microsoft has a multi-year enterprise license with Unreal. I would not be surprised if they have non-standard fees for engine use.

3 Likes

The Gears Franchise have always been the showcase for Unreal Engine. Infact many time the custom code regarding upcoming features/technologies of Gears game are implemented in the newer release updates of Unreal Engine.

4 Likes

Ninja theory have also worked with 3Lateral, Cubic Motion and Epic Games on the 1st hellblade for their motion capture. They will probably continue working on Senuas Saga, it might end up being amongst the first games to release on UE5.

3 Likes

Depends on the release window. Currently I am pretty sure they might be working on a modified Unreal Engine 4 with upcoming feature sets, not outright UE5 as its not yet released. But might port it to UE5 on the final release version is out, Depends on how seamless it is to port to the newer version. But knowing Unreal Engine, I believe it will be fairly easy.

Bioshock Infinite was one of those games which was made on modified Unreal Engine 3 with borrowed upcoming feature sets of UE4.

1 Like

Watch Dogs legions crashed my series x. Hope this isnt a common thing.

I’m really excited for The Ascent. I keep watching gameplay of it, it looks really rad.

Does anyone know if it has classes, or do you just kinda just create whatever kinda character you want with no restrictions?

2 Likes

Wasn’t a problem I had with it while reviewing. My main issue was the Series X not keeping save progress for over a month…

I’ve noticed that updates, regardless of what game it is can cause crashes.

Unreal Engine 4.25 added some tools to render realistic hair.

The unfortunate thing was, despite tools being available you’d need some processing power to have it run in game situations. So I imagined it was pretty much only for offline rendering (you can now render movies in UE, much quicker than in any RT-based software).

But as EA is demonstrating here, these new consoles could probably do it in-game. (Or perhaps in replays).

1 Like

The frostbite implementation is rendering individual strands of hair that uses compute shaders for rendering according to DF, so it looks to be pretty cheap for rendering costs. I don’t know how it is implemented in UE but I’m guessing it’s the normal way of grouping strands of hair together with physics applied. It works in real-time in FIFA but mostly noticeable in replay/close up shots.

Since EA has frostbite, they can focus on upgrading tech that is most relevant to their needs first. That’s why I was asking if Xbox would be interested in doing the same for their studios.

1 Like

My bad, I used the wrong terms there, I shouldn’t have said “in-game” but rather “during the match”. I’m more familiar with the EA NHL series, but while you play you play with lower quality models at 60fps but between whistles it goes to a high quality 30fps mode to show player close-ups.

Yeah I’m sure this stuff from EA is real time and will really help amp up the presentation. And I also imagine we’ll see it while you’re playing with a simplified model (we’re so far away from players while playing we probably won’t notice a difference).

1 Like

How do people parrot fake stuff just to feel better? Went on twitter and saw somebody tweeting about the Series X bottleneck.

What bottleneck

Technically all tech has a bottleneck, but knowing Twitter, I bet it’s the mythical ssd. PS5’s SSD and load times are undeniably impressive, but the way some people hype it up compared to Series X is modern day “blast processing”.

talking about 12TF being theoretical and that the ps5 one is better made. Okay.

Is that why its parity all over the place or xbox advantages now?

Oh, ok. Yeah, the 12TF are real. More so than the actual hypothetical 10 of PS5.

Regardless, the biggest issue are the new tools. As people get used to them, it should be easier. Ultimately, power is relative as with the exception of some third parties, it mostly comes down to first parties to make the most of it, which means Ninja Theory, Id, Coalition, PlayGround and Initiative vs. Naughty Dog, Insomniac, Sucker Punch, Polyphony and Guerilla.

1 Like

I mean acknowledging that tools are an issue and the xbox even when “underperforming” is doing parity or better then Id feel pretty good.

2 Likes

Yeah, I mean ultimately, while there is untapped power on both, Xbox is fighting near par with one hand tied behind its back. It’s not bad at all, just a little contrary to the “most powerful” hype. Still, these were calculated moves on MS’s part to ensure full RDNA 2.0 which is very exciting.

1 Like