XboxEra Community Hangout |OT| Safe Space no longer required (Part 1)

Same here. Haven’t even started as I’m trying to link progression.

Devolver denies Fall Guys coming.

I LOVE the game, still putzing around even after dumping 80 hours into it already. The only thing I have left to do is to fully close up the rest of the vaults, which I have been taking my time with.

1 Like

To make things worse, the Microsoft Store is telling me I don’t own both Hitman and Hitman 2 when I clearly have them in my library

Let’s go!

I love me some demos!

3 Likes

I’m really excited to try this game.

1 Like

I can tell you as a 3d artist who does lot of rendering, the way RT is being marketed in games industry right now is a tad cringe. The benefits it gives still haven’t been well realized in the gaming space as opposed to the kind of bruteforce approach in offline rendering (vfx, animation, etc), and even those industries are getting into realtime applications now.

Nvidia and the general tech industry has spent too much money and time convincing people of its supposed necessity but the results its brought at least for now hasn’t proven its importance yet. It’s not that raytracing isn’t good or the inevitable next milestone in video game/online rendering, but it is far from the only thing that shall make games look better. Engines like UE5 and Godot are coming up with interesting non-RT solutions to streamline game rendering. The UE5 demo showed that RT is not necessary at all to get extremely good looking, realtime lighting.

Games like RDR2 had no RT implemented, yet very few if not any games come close to the sophistication of lighting tech used in it.

However, one place where RT seems to be the best implementation is reflections, but even that is being challenged by the likes of Hitman 3. The point being, RT is just not the urgent paradigm games industry needs to enter, it’s gonna happen, but it’s not something the game medium is desperately in need of. RT is just ONE form of making game rendering prettier and easier for artists and developers, as there are gonna be many ways to go about achieving the same results.

Digital Foundry analysis for Hitman 3 on the Gaming Analysis Thread for those interested.

I got Hitman 2 levels working, but not Hitman 1 levels. And yes, I own both.

The biggest difference between RT and the old pipeline is the need for extra work required to make area specific stuff goes away as it kind of just works. RT generally works on a global level of the scene. I mean of course you can limit the areas in which the effect shows off or not but in general it is kind of a one stop accurate solution for reflections, GI, AO, and Shadows.

Whereas in the traditional way on development you need to bake cube maps, Bake light maps for each models (which you still need to do for RT at the moment), have a seperate pass for GI whether its is RTGI or Baked GI. Because of this an artist can focus more on the art part than the technical part of the game. But the gaming pipeline is not going to to suddenly change. It will take years where production houses or developmental studios, make very specific tools and pipelines to achieve those results.

Infact RT has been in existence since the days of V-Ray and mental Ray came out. Its only now that we are able to produce Realtime accurate results with sustainable performance. Thats the reason its kind of a big deal. Developers have been demanding GPU manufacturers to make it possible. In-fact I was surprised we got it quite sooner than expected.

The other biggest reason for hype is because it kind-of brings the VFX and Gaming Industry a bit closer whether it comes to quality or developmental tools.

People don’t understand how big of a resource hog it is to go from a 2K rez to 4K rez whether its comes to textures or the final rendering output. Just the jump to 4K quadruples the data requirements. That’s why you might get 4K rez more often, but when it comes to 4K rez. 4K textures, higher details models with Less LODs. Overall it will cripple the machines. Thats the reason you need so much processing power to produce really clean results on the Ultra high-end PCs.

1 Like

You have to download the stuff from the store.

Go to the store page, and you’ll see “Hitman 1 GOTY Access Pass” download that key to unlock everything. It was a hassle but I figured it out.

haha I know all of this and completely agree with you, was just commenting on how much marketing is being spent on RT in video games while the results have been generally marginal at best. RT does represent the next step in game rendering (convergence of offline and online rendering is inevitable), just that the transition is not as urgent as people want it to be. RT as a technology in rendering has obviously been super crucial, but video games have always posed distinct challenges that industries like vfx and animation simply don’t need to worry about like fps, draw calls, LODs, etc. Also my other point was that RT is great but not the only way to achieve good lighting like a lot of marketing is being pushed, it’s definitely one of the more straightforward ways, but as I mentioned, there are other methods being developed all the time. SDFGI is a great alternative to RTGI for example, that’s being developed by both Epic and Godot, there are clever ways to incorporate accurate reflections that are not RT based like what we’re seeing in Hitman 3, so on. So all in all, RT is great for games, just not as mature yet to justify the marketing buzz around it.

They’re great but a lot of people find them frustrating as they dont hold your hands. A lot is down to replaying the levels again and again and finding new ways to get your tasks done.

For me if you’re not aiming to get silent assassin ratings on all levels you’re not playing the game to it’s best.

Great feeling clearing a level and no one is none the wiser to the havoc you’ve wrought.

1 Like

True but you got to market these things for mass adoption. If you don’t then we wont be getting these next-gen technologies implemented in game-engines.

In-fact most of the game companies are too lazy to adopt even current-gen technologies fully into their engines. You might be surprised so many companies haven’t even fully upgraded to DX12. Many of them are still stuck with DX11. There are very few who will take the risk and leap to adopt next-gen technologies fully. So sometimes they need that extra kick in the rear side to move forward. CDPR, Remedy being one of those studios.

1 Like

It says $30…

Are you digital or disc?

Disc for me it was free. Then again I played 1 & 2 on my account.

MS acquire IOI so they can afford better servers please

Same here but I got Hitman through GWG so idk. Either way, servers are down so its a moot point. Gave up my Hitman 2 progress as I only beat it twice and bought no suits.

MS acquire and/or invest in/publish IOI so they stop mandating servers for a SINGLE PLAYER game.

1 Like