XboxEra Community Game of the Year - Post your lists!

2020 is the year where I played the least new games ever! Spent most of this year working through backlog games (looking at you Shadow Tactics) and the wealth of Game Pass games I had quite got to from 2019. That means that some of the games that I know would have made my list aren’t on there because I haven’t played them yet! Also I continue to play an awful lot of Apex Legends…

This is also the year where because of the pandemic I went back to playing older multiplayer games with my friends, reminiscing about LANs and all the other stuff we can’t do right now. In actual fact if this was a favourite game list regardless of release year The Golf Club 2019 would probably top it for me. @Harm0nica and I played that game every week through lockdown and it was a great way to keep in touch and work at getting better at a game that we would never normally look at. Anyway on with the list:

1: Spelunky 2 I’ve been playing this on PC everyday since it released and was an easy pick for number 1. It builds on the success of the first game and is everything I wanted in a sequel to my most played PC game ever.

2: Tetris Effect Connected I’ve always had a soft spot for Tetris back to the OG Gameboy days. The music and atmosphere of this blew me away. Oh and the multiplayer is fun too!

3: The Touryst Played through this with my GF. Technically the game was superb. We both loved the aesthetics and style of the game. Some of the puzzles were tricky but it was the right level of challenging.

4: My Friend Pedro. This released Dec 2019. Games released that late in a year always miss out in things like this so I’m including it. Since I saw the trailer I knew I’d like this game. Dripping with style and a control mechanic that makes you feel like a gun toting badass. Trippy as shit in the end but I liked it.

5: Bright Memory Now not a long game currently but this really showed me the potential of the new consoles. Don’t be put off by the weird UI and controller setup, once you get that sorted the gameplay speaks for itself. So much potential.

6: Minecraft Dungeons I still need to finish this but similarly to The Golf Club 2019 this was a great game to play and chill whilst catching up with friends. I liked Minecraft back in the day but was always way more into exploring and fighting so this suits me perfectly.

7: Moving Out We play a lot of couch coop games (particularly the Overcooked series) and this pushes those buttons. Trying to throw a 2 person sofa through a window was both hilarious and infuriating at times. Well worth a look if it passes you by.

Best Ongoing Game: Apex Legends Titanfall 1 and 2 were amazing and I bloody love Apex. It’s my goto game in terms of first person shooters and has been since 2019 to be honest. Respawn made some good changes to the meta over the year to keep the game fresh and I’m looking forward to seeing how they manage that over the course of this year as well.

Best Publisher: XGS As much as there isn’t a whole lot of XGS games on this list my backlog is full of them :joy:

3 Likes
  1. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  2. Carrion
  3. F1 2020
  4. Planet Coaster
  5. Cyberpunk 2077
  6. Wasteland 3
  7. Minecraft Dungeons
  8. Streets of Rage 4
  9. Gears Tactics
  10. Doom Eternal

Best Ongoing Game: Forza Horizon 4

Best Publisher: Devolver Digital

1 Like

Reminder: 5 more days to post your favorite games of 2020. Vote closes on the 17th.

If you didn’t play or like 10 games in 2020 it’s fine to post less than 10. :slight_smile:

• 1: Ori & The Will of the Wisps
  • 2: Yakuza: Like a Dragon
  • 3: Cyberpunk 2077
  • 4: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • 5: Gears 5: Hivebusters
  • 6: Immortals: Fenyx Rising
  • 7: Spiritfarer
  • 8: Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1+2
  • 9: Mafia Remake
  • 10: Assassins Creed: Valhalla
  • Best Ongoing Game: Halo MCC
  • Best Publisher: Xbox Game Studios
3 Likes
  • 1: Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • 2: Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • 3: DOOM Eternal
  • 4: Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
  • 5: Wasteland 3
  • 6: Tell me Why
  • 7: Gears Tactics
  • 8: Age of Empires III: Definitive Edition
  • 9: Gears 5: Hivebusters
  • 10: Spiritfarer
  • Best Ongoing Game: Sea of Thieves

I’m sure games like Yakuza 7 would made in the list but I have yet to play it so this is my list for the time being :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes
  • 1: Yakuza: Like a Dragon - A great step forward for the franchise as the turn based combat goes very well with the slow-burn style of the game/story overall. Great new cast of characters and the legendary Yakuza charm makes for an epic RPG that minimizes lulls and maximizes memorable moments compared to others.

• 2: Half Life Alyx - Anyone who has played this will likely put it in their top 10 as it’s a true case of what VR can really do. Stunningly-realistic graphics and an unparalleled level of interactivity gets you more immersed in this game than any other, full stop.

• 3: Ori and the WotW - Perfect platforming, perfect combat, perfect art, perfect music, perfect length, perfect story. It’s a perfect metroidvania that simply did not get the recognition it deserves.

• 4: Hades - Similar to Ori where every aspect of the game is nailed, just a game genre I like slightly less.

• 5: Cyberpunk 2077 - Easily the most impressive world every created in a video game, writing that easily beats other AAA video games, and surprisingly fun combat.

• 6: FF7 Remake - Awesome game mainly due to nostalgia, but the music is great and it’s just fun to see a classic in next gen graphics. The combat is moving in a right direction when compared to 15, but it’s still an awkward middle ground between RPG and action game that doesn’t feel great to me.

• 7: Immortals Fenyx Rising - Took what made BOTW great and added an amazing looking world and decent story to it. Best open world game of the year.

• 8: Ghosts of Tsushima - Ironically Ghosts is more of an Ubisoft open world checklist than Immortals, but the story was great and the visuals were always fun to look at. Combat is definitely overrated as it ends up being as easy as and Assassin’s Creed game.

• 9: Doom Eternal - Honestly would be higher up if it came out later in the year, but more Doom is always a great thing. Really love how the devs took a granular look at the combat and turned a game where you run away and shoot all your weapons into a much more methodical experience.

• 10: Last of Us 2 - There are a lot of obvious issues with the game, and I don’t like how it shines a light on the prepubescent phase AAA video game writing is in, but I did ultimately enjoy playing through it given the simply amazing graphics and animations.

• Best Ongoing Game - Dead by Daylight: Such a unique game that I never would’ve thought I’d get sucked into that gets great continuous support from its devs. If anyone wants to play add me :smiley:

2 Likes
  • 1: Supraland
  • 2: Wasteland 3
  • 3: Gears Tactics
  • 4: Doom Eternal
  • 5: Deep Rock Galactic
  • 6: Carrion
  • 7: Minecraft Dungeons
  • 8: Tetris Effect
  • 9: Spiritfarer
  • 10: Ori And The Will Of The Wisps
  • Best Ongoing Game: Forza Horizon 4

No games bought this year, all in on Game Pass

2 Likes
  • 1: Animal crossing - great fun for whole family.
  • 2: AC Valhalla - 3rd favourite AC.
  • 3: FFVII Remake - Not bad, nothing to original.
  • 4: Gears 5 Hivebusters - Brilliant Expansion.
  • 5: Cyberpunk 2077 - Disappointed.
  • 6: Mafia Definitive Edition
  • 7: Battletoads - Oldschool pure fun gameplay.
  • 8: TLOU 2 - This killed TLOU1 for me.
  • 9: Watch dogs legion - Felt like a step back from 1.
  • 10: Ori will of wisps - Just doesn’t click for me.
  • Best Ongoing Game: Forza Horizon 4.
  • Best Publisher: Cannot choose.

After reading other people’s answers, I’ll definitely have to try Fenyx rising now. Have it installed but will play it after Paper Mario. Also realised I might have to get a PS5 a bit sooner than I was originally expecting.

2 Likes

Overall not a good year imo

Nothing from Nintendo worth mentioning

Sony releaseing their typical well made but imo boring cinematic titles

Nothing new from Xbox that really interested me, well unless you count Bethesda (no i dont like Ori)

Anyway

1. Doom Eternal (the only game i LOVED this year)
  2. Demons Souls
  3. Snowrunner
  4. Immortals
  5. Tetris effect connected

Best ongoing: Sea of thieves (one of my favorite games ever now)

1 Like

Wow, Snowrunner was 2020? Completely forgot about it. Still want to play it…

It was a great year for me because of ports and gamepass but only a few 2020 games were truly memorable and great.

1 Like
  1. DOOM Eternal
  2. Cyberpunk 2077
  3. Wasteland 3
  4. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  5. Immortals Fenyx Rising
  6. Flight Simulator
  7. Hades
  8. Tetris Effect: Connected
  9. Gears Tactics
  10. Halo: The Master Chief Collection on :series:
3 Likes

MCC is allowed? But not remasters :c

I just copy and pasted my staff one, didn’t bother reading the rules :laughing:

Nah.

You are not above the law <.<

1. Ori: WotW
  2. Doom Eternal
  3. Flight Simulator
  4. Wasteland 3
  5. Spiritfarer
  6. Immortals
  7. Gears Tactics
  8. Tell Me Why
  9. Cyberpunk
  10. Battletoads
  • Best Ongoing Game: Tie between Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2
3 Likes

Seems like Ori will win. Doom, Yakuza and Cyberpunk will place highly too.

1 Like

Really glad to see so much love for Tell me Why <3

2 Likes

That game is the reason why I love Game Pass. Would not have tried it otherwise. I’m not the biggest fan of this style of game (Life is Strange, Walking Dead, etc.) but I really enjoyed this one a lot.

2 Likes