XboxEra Community Game of the Year 2021 - Post your lists!

I thought Last Stop was a real letdown.

2 Likes

Best story i played this year by far was in The Procession to Calvary, absolutely hilarious. Yeah i know its a 2020 PC game, i dont care :woman_shrugging:t6:

I wasn’t “let down” so much I enjoyed it, and especially Meena’s character, I found she was portrayed well, her ruthlessness and unpleasantness and in the end me coming to understand her, like her and being happy for her to make the choice she did at the end to break the cycle of control and gaslighting.

Again I may be imprinting a little of myself onto her too, but I really enjoyed that character and her arc. I did like all the choices I made as well, despite their non “happy ending” as they felt perfect for the characters and 100% authentic.

I agree the overall story did feel a little “rushed”, but the character arcs were well done, the setting felt authetically “UK” without being too cartoony (though some of the teenagers dialoge was like, my god why is this kid talking like a 40 year old).

I may consider edoiting to add, I enjoyed it, though I would have loved it to have been as good to stick in my head like Unpacking.

1 Like

Ha, interesting to read. The Meena storyline was my least favourite of the bunch.

3 Likes

Yeah I get it… I dunno its hard to explain why I liked it despite her… I dunno it felt like a compelling arc to me, and you don’t often get women represented in stories in media in that kind of broken, flawed, “Antihero” kind of way, mentally damaged and not in a comic book way and able to believably grow without becoming mawkish…

I dunno perhaps Im just imprinting as I say, I didnt think I would like her at all or her story, but it really grew on me until the end where I was like “Yes, good for her”

2 Likes

Lol, wrong thread

Didn’t play a ton of new games this year as I am working on the backlog and the spouse has my Switch for Animal Crossing.

1. Death’s Door
  2. Psychonauts 2
  3. Halo Infinite
  4. Hitman 3
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy
5 Likes
  1. Halo Infinite
  2. Psychonauts 2
  3. It Takes Two
  4. Resident Evil Village
  5. Little Nightmares 2
  6. Death’s Door
  7. The Forgotten City
  8. Forza Horizon 5
  9. Record of Lodoss War -Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth-
  10. Lost Words: Beyond the Page
  • Best non 2021 game I’ve played this year: Yakuza: Like A Dragon
  • Best 2021 game not on Xbox: Metroid Dread
  • Best Ongoing game: DOOM Eternal
  • Best game that I am not sure if it counts or not: Nier Replicant
4 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of praise for Record of Lodoss war, I’ll check it out.

Keep 'm coming!

2 Likes
  • 1: Deaths Door

• 2: Halo Infinite

• 3: It Takes Two

• 4: Outriders

• 5: Forza Horizon 5

• Ongoing Game 1: Apex Legends

Deaths Door is a clear winner for me, Halo Infinite could have been higher if I’d have finished the campaign (have got sucked into multiplayer!!). Same for Forza Horizon 5, I just haven’t committed the time. None of this would have been possible without kicking my Apex addiction though :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

What happened here @peter42O ?:smiley:

• 1: Halo Infinite
  • 2: Psychonauts 2
  • 3: Metroid Dread
  • 4: Tales of Arise
  • 5: Guardians of the Galaxy
  • 6: Echo Generation
  • 7: Axiom Verge 2
  • 8: The Gunk
  • 9: The Artful Escape
  • 10: Death’s Door
  • Ongoing Game 1: Rocket League
  • Ongoing Game 2: Halo Master Chief Collection
5 Likes

Decided against one game that’s going to be replaced by another game for my top ten but I haven’t played/completed it yet so I decided to just delete the my top ten since it will slightly change.

Will post my list before the thread closes.

1 Like
  • 1: Psychonauts 2 - Excellent writing and levels.

• 2: Halo Infinite - Love the multiplayer despite its issues.

• 3: Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy - Not big on the combat, but production was top notch and the characters were great.

• 4: It Takes Two - Stupid story but great levels and gameplay.

I didn’t play very many 2021 games, and of the ones I did these were the only ones worth listing.

2 Likes
  • 1: Halo Infinite: Best all around package. Surprisingly I really liked the SP and I usually hate Halo campaigns. MP isn’t as good as 5 but still great

• 2:Guardians of the Galaxy: By far the best story I’ve played all year. I’d pay to watch this movie

• 3: Knockout City: Surprisingly great MP game that seems simple at first.

• 4:MLB the Show 2021: Usually not a huge sports game guy but this really had me for like months

• 5: Far Cry 6: Same old far cry. Fun for a while but too long and too bloated

• 6:Pokemon Brilliant Diamond: Really easy yet it’s kinda like comfort food

• 7: Pokemon Snap: Doesn’t have the same magic as the OG snap but still fun

• 8: Madden 2022: It’s football. Online is a mixed bag between disconnections and cheesing the game

• 9: Scarlet Nexus: Competent Character action game. Kind of a slog towards the end

• 10: Outriders: Would’ve been way higher had my game and main character been erased 3/4’s of the way through the campaign

• Ongoing Game 1: Apex Legends

Having said all that, Cyberpunk and Yakuza 7 were the best games I played this year tho

3 Likes

Edited my list to add The Artful Escape which i just finished. Awesome game!

2 Likes
  • 1: Forza Horizon 5

by a country mile

• 2: Psychonauts 2
  • 3: Halo Infinite
  • 4: The Pedestrian
  • 5: The Forgotten City
  • 6: Genesis Noir
  • 7: Unpacking
  • 8: The Artful Escape
  • 9: The Ascent
  • Ongoing Game 1: Microsoft Flight Simulator
  • Ongoing Game 2: Skyrim
  • Ongoing Game 3: Sea of Thieves

Didn’t play too many big 2021 games. Omno and The Gunk were also nice. Biggest laugh was definitely The Procession to Calvary but it counts as a 2020 game here :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

I felt compelled to edit my list with an addition of “Last Stop” I’d forgotten how much I enjoyed the character arcs (Especially the best, Meena), not perfect but an another excellent example of a solid narrative told well.

More Unpacking and Genesis Noir love!

I just had chance to start on The forgotton City, but I’m already loving it.

4 Likes
  1. Hitman 3
  2. Lake
  3. Halo Infinite

I didn’t play many games last year that released in 2021 - mostly back catalogue but these are the three I finished of note

3 Likes