XboxEra Community Game of the Year 2021 - Post your lists!

But the cool thing in threads like this one is that we may see a game in a list and then maybe decide to check it out (especially now with Game Pass!), games that we probably wouldn’t try out before so putting not only extraordinary games in our lists is a good thing IMO.

To be honest after this thread I downloaded The Procession to Calvary and Unpacking so it works for me! :gimme:

Mort I don’t know if you have played it already or if you are even interested in it but you should check out The Forgotten City! :partying_face:

1 Like

Hilarious game which would have been on my list if it wasn’t a 2020 game. Brilliant!

Yeah, I need to check out Forgotten City… I have it installed and ready to go, might make the list if I get around to it before the end of Jan!

2 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile:

Eh screw it. Not sure how many more games I’ll be able to get done by the end date, so here we go!

1. Lost Judgment - This is the must play of the year, imo.

2. NieR: Replicant ver 1.224744… - a remake/remaster in one. Even if it doesn’t count, it deserves the spot.

3. Life is Strange: True Colors - the feels

4. Halo: Infinite - I missed Halo and I’m glad the community seems mostly positive about it. Just wish the campaign didn’t leave me so… confused?

5. Scarlet Nexus - Loved this game, but the actual action was still a bit wonky by the end of it. Really hope they do a sequel for this.

6. Marvel’s Guardian’s of the Galaxy - surprise of the year!

7. Resident Evil 8: Village - The game I constantly seem to forget came out in 2021. Aside from pacing issues in one spot specifically, its a very good time!

8. It Takes Two - fun game with a friend!

9. Unpacking - tugged at emotional strings in a cool way, while keeping it all subtle.

10. Omno - very chill game.

OG1: Sea of Thieves - Pirates of the Caribbean was huge and wonderful!

OG2: Jump Force - They finally gave us some fan favorite characters that people have been begging for since launch, its just upsetting they’ll be closing down ranked stuff later this year. Hopefully they return with a sequel and work on the issues plagued with the first game.

OG3: Dead By Daylight - this should be higher, but jeez Behaviour needs to work on their QA

Need to still play (and my mess with list): Tales of Arise, Forza Horizon 5 (I’ve barely touched it), The Artful Escape, 12 Minutes (hate the controls), The Ascent (I might just finish this solo), Death’s Door (love what I’ve played, just need to be in the mood for it)

8 Likes

I started Scarlet Nexus a few months ago but got distracted and forgot to get back to it, I definitely will at some point.

1 Like
  1. Halo Infinite

Absolutely a terrific experience from start to finish. Really enjoyed my time with it, and it reignited my interest in the franchise and world of Halo. Even got me reading the books that I’ve owned for ages and never found the time to start. It is a well deserved return to form for the series and I’m looking forward to what comes next.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy

What can I say, while I’ve loved previous Eidos games, I did not expect to have this game in my top 10 list, particularly at the top. This game’s marketing failed it, because it’s a fun, well-told adventure, with great pacing and likable characters that you just don’t seem to see much these days. Highly recommended.

1. Psychonauts 2

Double Fine still have it. I played Psychonauts 1 not that long before 2, for the very first time, and it was incredible to me how starting 2 really felt like I was continuing the adventure with the same characters and all the same beats, when there was such a long gap between the games. The characters, art style, music, writing, everything is fantastic and enjoyable. Truly a great game.

1. It Takes Two

Wow! The production values really saw a step-up from A Way Out. This was such a fun game to play through with a friend. It always kept the gameplay fresh and entertaining. I think the story started to drag a little in the backend, but overall I really enjoyed my time with it and can’t wait to see what Hazelight do next.

1. Death’s Door

If there weren’t such amazing games above it in my top 10, this little game would be number 1 for its soundtrack alone. It’s an absolutely beautiful game with a terrific atmosphere and though the gameplay is somewhat simple, it’s still challenging and engrossing. It deserves all the accolades it gets.

1. Forza Horizon 5

A beautiful game with tight gameplay that just innovates enough to keep the formula entertaining. You can’t get a better chill experience than this. While it’s online functionality was a little spotty, I still have enjoyed my time with it so far, and it’s earned its spot on my SSD until the next one comes out.

1. Hitman 3

IOI delivered another fantastic addition to the series and a warm farewell to this trilogy. While it’s budget constraints were obvious at times, it’s a beautiful game that delivers excellent gameplay in a superb package with just enough hooks in the story to keep you interested while staying out of your way as you repeat the missions again and again to see all the hidden elements. While I’ve never really cared much for 007, I’ll be paying attention to Bond due to IOI alone.

1. Hades

Seemingly as a staple of their games, just like Bastion and Transistor before it, Hades is a masterclass of an indie with a striking art style, a beautiful soundtrack, and fantastic voice acting and writing. If I enjoyed the rougelike mechanics a little more, this game would be higher on my list. It still managed to keep me hooked for a good 20 hours which is no mean feat with rougelikes.

1. Resident Evil Village

I really enjoyed this game, it felt AAA in all the right ways, but I felt it played it a little safe and it didn’t capture me as much as VII. As usual with RE games, the first third was the best part of the game, and the back third was filled with crazier and crazier twists that just don’t hold up to scrutiny. I look forward to seeing where they take the series next however.

1. Twelve Minutes

Ok, this one’s controversial. It definitely isn’t for everyone, and it doesn’t do everything right, but it’s a true indie experience that will engross you all the same. It’s got beautiful music, great acting, charming little touches throughout, let down by its writing and a lack of really interactive setpieces. I still think this game is worth trying out, despite its flaws, I really enjoyed my time with it.

Honorable Mentions: Back 4 Blood, The Gunk, Far Cry 6, Tales of Arise, The Medium.

6 Likes

2021 turned out to be a surprisingly good year however I played a lot of old games last year while Metroid, Hitman 3, It Takes 2, RE Village and Deathloop all remain in the backlog. For those that I played:

1. Halo Infinite
  2. Psychonauts 2
  3. Death’s Door
  4. Forza Horizon 5
  5. The Ascent
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy
  7. The Artful Escape
  8. Outriders
  9. Cyber Shadow
  10. Blood Roots

Best ongoing game: Halo Infinite

Best game that no longer qualifies for this list but should: Hades

8 Likes

It puts a massive smile on my face that so many liked Unpacking as much as I did :smiley:

3 Likes

Hades was great :+1: It caught me by surprise.

2 Likes

There are 12 days left to vote for your GOTY picks. Don’t forget to post your lists! :slight_smile:

jack griffo nick GIF by Nickelodeon

2 Likes

1.) Psychonauts 2 2.) Halo Infinite 3.) Deaths Door 4.) Resident Evil Village 5.) Wild at Heart 6.) Forza Horizon 5 7.) Guardians of the Galaxy 8.) Scarlet Nexus 9.) Dodgeball Academia 10.) Echo Generation

Ongoing 1.) Fortnite 2.) Dead by Daylight 3.) Sea of Thieves

Shout out to Tales of Arise that I didn’t get to play much but have the feeling it would have made the list. Planning on getting back to it. And the Gunk and Metroid which is basically the last games that I want to play from 2021 that I haven’t gotten to. I actually had a good year in gaming when it came to finishing stuff this year.

4 Likes

Tales of Arise is really great. I’m like 18 hours in and i definitely won’t beat it before the deadline but I’ll give it a shoutout anyway. It’s in a lot of people’s here’s list and rightfully so.

1 Like

OMG I’d forgotten all about “the wild at heart” I should update my list! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dodgeball Academia is a nice shout! Completely forgot about that game.

3 Likes

I’ve loved what I played but Halo released right after I started it and haven’t went back to it since but I do plan on it.

I loved that game and it holds a special place in my heart now. When it came out my 3 year old son got sick for a few days so I stayed up and took care of him. It was the first time one of my kids got pretty sick so I couldn’t sleep so I stayed up and played that game while he leaned up against me telling me where he thought I should go.

1 Like

touched

1 Like

This was an awesome surprise this year and why I love Gamepass. I got every achievement and loved the gameplay and characters.

2 Likes