Xbox Series S - India’s Best-Selling Console in March 2021

A lot of those markets are de facto PlayStation strongholds due to the lack of Xbox presence marketing wise. It would be interesting to see how they perform with a renowned approach to it.

2 Likes

We are probably talking not many sales here…it’s not a massive market and therefore in March a few hundred sales probably wins a race against out of stock machines.

Seems like very anecdotal reporting and guesswork too. Someone’s opinion that they’d have sold more with more series X stock (as opposed to series S) doesn’t really seem very solid if everyone going into shops really wanted a PS4 or 5…

Insignificant market. But if xbox can outsell Sony in India it can do it in other Sony lands.

For consoles, maybe. But not for PC gaming.

1 Like

I find that there is lot of hubris in console gamers who still continue to ignore India as a market. I was so thrilled to see Satya and Phil address 3bn gamers as opposed to 250million console only gamers.

I would want them to grow in the PC gaming space heavily. Selling Xbox Series S is a good start, but they should focus more on PC for markets like India, China, Russia and South East Asia. There you’ll find your 3bn users.

2 Likes

I agree, I wonder if they would ever sell a series s style all in one gaming pc under the surface brand. I’m not sure how cheap they could get it.

There is so much they could do to support different regions too, one thing I would really like to see is to have a content team dedicated to making regional content for xbox’s live service games. Theres no reasson that for instance sea of thieves cant have sets of sails and outfits that are geared toward the indian market.

Rare has done a couple of sails where the procedes from all the sails that they sell go toward a charity, the most recent one was a childrens hospital for instance, why not do things like that that support causes that an Indian gamer would be excited about supporting?

Same thing with things like forza horizon and minecraft, why not add some of the sorts of cars that someone from india might aspire to own, or a car that they might see where they live. (I know this is reductive, but I think a tuk tuk race in forza horizon would be really fun for everyone). In minecraft too, they have numerous map packs that you can buy, why not have some that cater to other markets?

Having a team that handles all of this sort of thing I think would pay dividends, I would imagine that they could have numerous teams in different regions to work with the various first party devs to make regional content. For instance they could have teams in india and china, among other places.

And of course having a studio or two in those regions would improve the support for those regions

2 Likes

Localized content is the key. And once you see localized content for China or India, get ready for some very ridiculous numbers.

As an example - there was some cricket being shown the other day on Disney Plus. Consequence - 5M concurrent viewers without too much effort. And this was not even a main draw event.

2 Likes

Microsoft will go all in on Series S marketing this holiday season. Cheap next gen console where you can play Halo Infinite and all the other gamepass games for less than a PS5.

1 Like

What cricket ?

Might be the last India v England match, I suppose. Online viewership is less than IPL, but significant nonetheless.

I remember when the Series X was revealed at TGA, I absolutely was convinced it was a Surface branded gaming PC at first. I would have considered a gaming oriented Surface desktop in a heartbeat. Surface isn’t really a budget brand though, it’s about decent specs in a good form factor with lots of thought put into the materials and design, and are typically a premium price.

1 Like
2 Likes