Xbox quarterly revenue up 51%; Game Pass now has 18 million subscribers

I believe they should manage there supply keeping HI launch in mind.

HI can move millions of consoles. The demand could be same at launch of Halo Infinte as it was on launch of consoles.

I was surprised initially how low that number eag but I then I started doing the math.

18 million subscribers and gamepass isnā€™t sold at a discount so they $120 each subscriber. And Iā€™m going to just assume that the majority of those have Ultimate since Iā€™m going to imagine few people have gamepass and not Xbox live Gold.

So really thatā€™s 18 millions Ultimate subscribers and 82 million Gold subscribers.And at 3x the price of Gold, those 18 million subscribers bring as much revenue as 54 million Gold memberships.

Gold(after 18 years) - 82 million subscribers

Ultimate(4 years) - 54 million subscribers

If Ultimate keeps its 1 million subscribers a month increase it will match gold revenue by May

But this is one extreme end. If we assume the other extreme where every gamepass subscriber does not have Ultimate or Gold. Then thatā€™s a 2x difference

Gold(after 18 years) - 100 million subscribers

Ultimate(4 years) - 36 million subscribers

And they will reach the same revenue of gold by September 2023, since in this senerio Gold only memberships wouldnā€™t be converted to Ultimate.

Interesting, but thereā€™s zero chance that most of these subs are Ultimate. Your reasoning might work on the console side but remember, gamepass pc comes with live gold bundled in, so thereā€™s no reason to get ultimate on pc right now outside perks and soon, Xcloud. Big important things that are part of ultimate on console like live gold and EA play, are included in the base game pass pc sub, although the EA play is still nowhere to be found. Iā€™m sure theyā€™d have a lot more subs than 18 mill if they didnā€™t fuck up the EA play launchā€¦ On launch day lol

1 Like

Your right and PC would bring $120 per subscriber (2x gold). Wish we would get the breakdown by platform.

I also donā€™t feel like MS is completely marketing xcloud on Gamepass Ultimate as hard as they could but that may be becuase they are still beta testing in certain countries?

1 Like

Yeah I wish they showed platform discrepancies in subscriptions too, maybe theyā€™ll do it once gamepass pc actually leaves beta and not just say it did. :joy:

And yeah I suspect the Xcloud marketing shall ramp up this year when they launch it on pc and iOS and smart tvs and shit. Thatā€™s where they need to spend a lot more resources convincing people of this new paradigm. Gamers already know of it for the most part and get the tech, but itā€™s those with just mobile phones or tvs who want to get in on gaming but not want to spend too much money on consoles or PCs.

Which mobile is a whole other beast entirely. Then they will be playing with Netflix numbers.

1 Like

Awesome set of results.

Impressive.

There growth rate of game pass will grow as there first party start delivering, and there xcloud rollout increases to more devices + mindsare,

I think 60-75million subs is possible by 2023.

And to put things into perspective 60 million subs with an average $12/month spend

Is $720 million/month

Other companies will be hitting themselves for not doing the same strategy.

2 Likes

I think if they really want to destroy they should do a ā€˜gamepass basicā€™ tier of $4.99/month for low income people, entitleling them to 40hrs gameplay/month.

I just want to know - where are all the posters who told us the Series launch was going to be a disaster and Xbox had messed it all up?

Theyā€™re most likely account banned.

Goes to show launch titles arenā€™t everything as all the consoles sold out and continue to be sold out. Itā€™s why they were ok with delaying Halo for an entire year.

I think Game Pass will hit at least 25m by the end of the year.

I believe 18 million includes the PC version and standalone Xbox version.

All Game Pass versions which are GamePass console, GamePassPC and GamePass Ultimate.

Just wanted to make clear that those Xbox Live numbers are not Gold, it is basically any user interacting with Xbox Live which would also include free tiers, mobile, stuff on other consoles, etc. Its a pretty useleas number.

To put it into perspective, Sony has sold over 100 million PS4 and only has 45ish million PS Plus subscribers. A similar attach ratio for Xbox One would mean it likely only has in the 25 million range.

Working on their future posts about how Microsoft will end up in the poorhouse unless they can sell copies of Elder Scrolls VI on PlayStation.

I agree with the first paragraph but the second not so much. Believe it or not there are still many people still with 360s that are Gold subscribers taking advantage of those free monthly games. I know a few personally.

1 Like