Xbox Game Studios |OT4| This is for Studio talk. Studios. It's the Studios OT. Studio talk here (Part 1)

I saw the TOW controversy, but even one of the directors at E32019 said that they own the IP and fully control the future of the franchise, T2 is only saying those things to please their investors, nobody would say “great success but, well, MS owns it now” at a conference call.

2 Likes

There it is

32 Likes

Glad xbox has future publishing rights.

2 Likes

Big, big, BIG relief. Loved the first and don’t want to see something as petty as publishing rights hold it back.

8 Likes

But My Doom Posting!!! (I am excited, I loved ToW)

15 Likes

Obsidian have several irons in the fire now. Avowed is the next big new thing but Josh Sawyer is quietly working away on his project in the background. The Outer Worlds was successful, the fans enjoyed it & Matt Booty confirmed that everyone involved wants the franchise to continue.

Bethesda own the rights to Fallout & have repeatedly reiterated their desire to continue working on the franchise. People at Xbox, like Matt Booty, have carefully explained that they have no desire to take a dictatorial approach with their new first-party studios.

Inxile just released Wasteland 3 & are now moving on to their first AAA production, which is apparently a first person, open world RPG.

I only see one outside possibility for a new Fallout title in the next few years. Inxile, unless they’ve confirmed their new game is a new ip & I missed it? Apart from that, I think the next new Fallout we get is Fallout 5, from Bethesda. After Elder Scrolls VI.

The only other possibility I see is a remaster or remake of an older Fallout game but that’s less likely with Xbox because they have an excellent backwards compatibility setup.

5 Likes

Welp. That sucks.

How right is Tim Dog usually? I know that he follows everything Xbox and iirc Phil and others follow him back too. If this is true though it would be a big shame. Especially when Game Pass is the main seller now, not consoles.

So basically Xbox has another exclusive with ToW franchise, because I don’t see them keeping it multiplatform, there is no reason!

I dont care about MS or T2 financial situation. I just want The Outer World 2 :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Great to see Xbox/Obsidian still own all the rights! I loved The Outer Worlds and it sold really well for a new IP.

floating castle

9 Likes

Unfortunately, MS would never fund another multiplatform game from Obsidian, expecially when they own the IP. So it will be exclusive or it will be shelved forever.

I think what happens with Fallout is that Bethesda keep building on 76 for the foreseeable future, updating it & adding new content.

That’s maybe not what older fans want but I think it’s what will happen. It wouldn’t be my preference & I’m not even big into the franchise, I only played 3 & 4 so much because Bethesda made them. Never played the original games at all. It makes a kind of sense though. 76 is one of these new GaaS things which can live for years with updates & an active user base.

3 Likes

It saddens me to say this, but I think you’re right. With Sci fi being covered by Battle Starfield : Earth :stuck_out_tongue: .

I can imagine not seeing another fallout for a long time. Perhaps some remakes/remasters of 1&2

see, i dont really care if MS or T2 publishes The Outer World 2 on Switch, Playstation or whatever. If they have to do this to give me TOW2 on Xbox im absolutely fine with it.

And “Company X would never” as statement doesnt often stand the test of times.

2 Likes

There will 100% be another Fallout, Fallout 76 isn’t the last Fallout game imo. They will continue to update it like you say but it’s not going to replace proper Fallout titles.

Have you ever seen MS let someone else publish IPs they own (moreover on platforms outside of their reach)? I haven’t. The only edge case is Mechwarrior, but only because they don’t fully own the IP (which they do in TOW case) and also you will never see a Mechwarrior game outside Windows and Xbox anyway, Mechwarrior 5 is only the latest example, there are also Shadowrun games only on PC, but you’ll never see them on Switch for example. People seem to mix up Phil kind attitude with reality of things. If Take Two still has some rights and has decided to be petty, well, the IP is gone, it wouldn’t be the first time, MVP Baseball died because of T2 pettiness.

I think you mis-read my post. I never said either of those things. A couple of posts further back up the page I said my guess was the next new entry would be Fallout 5, made by Bethesda after TESVI.

I think 76 will be updated in the meantime.

1 Like

Ah my bad but still I don’t think them updating Fallout 76 will stop development for Fallout 5, doing content updates is only a fraction of staff. I wouldn’t be shocked if it’s already in pre-production.

3 Likes

I am happy we will see other the Outer worlds game loved the gameplay and humor

MS would be crazy not to have a proper new mainline Fallout game in the future. But the question is, will it be BGS or another studio? Will BGS be OK with that? 76 won’t replace it, but like TESO it can let the mainline games have a long break, sadly. The eventual succes of TESO meant there was no hurry for TES VI. At least, that’s what it looks like to me.